Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default AMD paper launches: The beginning of the end?

It is being said that AMD is really feeling the financial crunch from Chipzilla's recent Pentium4 Northwood success. Apparently many (myself am one) AMD fans went to the "Dark Side" opting for a Pentium4 system over the latest Athlons because of AMD's lack of clockspeed as compared to the Northwoods.

The paper launches of many recent AMD CPUs are adding to the already bruised reputation of the underdog chip maker.

How do you all feel about this?

Do you think AMD is set to make a strong comeback? Or do you think this may be the beginning of the end?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I feel amd are losing it again, they don't seem to have anything 32-bit in the pipeline that'll be worth having. It'll be interesting to see what price range they bring the 64-bit chips in at, and how well they perform with 32-bit code.

However I'm in the market for a new pc and a P4 looks like it's going to win, but that depends on prices, I'll still go for a > 2gig amd cpu if the price is right.

Hx
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

0.0.0.0 x 255.255.255.255 --- The Nexus of the Universe
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They lose whenever intel makes the transistor size smaller first.

BUT AND IT'S A BIG BUT,

The new XP 2700 will rock the lates chips made, their chips have killed their competition all the time!!!!

They'll survive!

please pm 4me2, ABCMan or Czarjunkie with an explanation why you failed to post or request help posting the email headers of the email you mentioned (along with the full headers) too late Ive banned him after no response for 48 hours (4me2)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, the 2400+ has just hit the market, in rather small quantities, but it is out...I was lucky enough to get one as soon as I did. It seems, so far, that demand for these processors is high, and hopefully AMD can keep cranking them out to meet demand, since the quantities are so low. Now the rumor is that the 2800+ will only be released in small quantities as a Thoroughbred, and that most will be based on the Barton core. This could turn out good for AMD, even though it is very safe to say that we will not see these until mid January, maybe with the Thoroughbred 2800+ in late December.

As it stands, AMD is desperately trying to work through their problems, and they are also bargaining extensively with foreign governments to power both government and education systems. AMD could also receive the support of http://www.google.com/, who does not want to use the Intel Itanium2 processor because of the extreme amount of power that each chip requires (130W), that is unless Google decides to go with Sun Microsystems. Dell has also not yet made a decision on the Hammer powering their server systems. All is not lost for AMD, if they can score some of these deals, then they have a great chance to roll into the Hammer and rebound back, as when the first Athlons were released.

AMD also, of course, has the support of chipset & motherboard makers, the biggest partner right now probably being NVIDIA. With the current support that they have, I can't see a complete collapse, but rather a buyout if the situation does get that bad, possibly by NVIDIA.

Thanks
    Karma Level

XP2600 is in stock at www.komplett.co.uk
    so these chips are slowly creeping out....

Don't think its soon enough though.......
    Intel have the edge at the moment, AMD probably won't make a comeback until the hammer comes out next year.

Just my 2p.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, EVERY company has these little (big) problems. Unfortunately, the current state of the economy is not helping the guys in Sunnyvale at all. Intel, AMD, NVIDIA, ATI, Microsoft, and even more major companies are closing in on their 52 week stock low, that is if they haven't already passed it. Unfortunately AMD can't afford to lose half as much as the others can, aside from ATI, until ATI actually starts to make money off of the Radeon9700, which should start sometime in Q4. That being said, AMD has been in this position before, and the Athlon pulled them out of the hole. AMD gripped the Athlon for dear life and hoped that it would catapult them back up on the scene. Fortunately, it did, and they thrived, being the first to 1Ghz. Now, they're doing the same with the Hammer. Obviously, they can't beat Intel to 3Ghz because of the awesome scalability of the Northwood, so they have to change around their marketing a little for Hammer. What some people forget, is that AMD is not JUST a CPU manufacturer; their flash memory and circuitry departments are still doing quite well, and keep improving with time. I'm not saying that these two other ventures can pull AMD out of their hole, but what I am saying is that AMD has been around for nearly 34 years, and it usually takes something more drastic than the situation that they're in now to bring a company down. The sooner they get these new processors out, the better, but I would also rather have them wait until yields are high enough and they have all the bugs worked out in production to release their new line, rather than releasing an inferior product, which would really put them in trouble.