Close

Thread: Tunisia

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tunisia

Right, I am going to Tunisia on Sunday.......Wahoo!! I bought Travellers Cheques from Thomas Cook, they gave them to me in Euros. Didnt think about it till later but will I be able to use them in Tunisia as it is not in Europe? or should I go back and get Sterling or something?

Also. I am staying in Hammermet (sp?). Anyone been there? Whats it like? Any suggestions for things to do out there?

Cheers
    BM

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

im sure u can find a bank or sum where like that over there to change um to wot eva tunisia uses if its not eruo i dont no if its euros or not

(17:18:34) (+Cam) i need to mount my xbox hdd in linux
    (17:19:02) (+SpikeWork) youth of today, they'll mount anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tunisian uses Tunisian Dinars i think, thats why I wasnt sure about Euros. Was thinking of swapping them for sterling but then they dont use Sterling so I guess that is the idea of Travellers Cheques.

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Fk it....bomb them

Thanks
    Karma Level

My parents took me on a holiday there many years ago, I almost died, food poisoning twice, air ambulance home, etc.

They only eat camel and badly cooked at that.

Oh yeah, and all these homo-pr0stitutes pester you, and market sellers grab and drag you into their shops.

****ing scummy place m8

Have a nice holiday
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been there, same city as well Hammamet

- No pubs
    - At the hotel restaurants there only seemed to be old English ladies called Petula
    - Good food
    - Take the trip to Sahara well worth it [3days], you'll pass Matmata, that's where they shot some of the first Starwars movie [You'll know why, once you get there].
    You'll also pass old roman ruins, where they filmed Life of Brian.
    - Good weather
    - There are no local women around, and the ones you do see, look like Fatima Whitbread
    Last edited by cronus71; 9th October 2002 at 10:22 AM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by cronus71
    I've been there, same city as well Hammamet

- No pubs
    - At the hotel restaurants there only seemed to be old English ladies called Petula
    - Good food
    - Take the trip to Sahara well worth it [3days], you'll pass Matmata, that's where they shot some of the first Starwars movie [You'll know why, once you get there].
    You'll also pass old roman ruins, where they filmed Life of Brian.
    - Good weather
    - There are no local women around, and the ones you do see, look like Fatima Whitbread
    re:Matmata - yes you see the caves - but people live in them and try and sell you shit all the time.

re:sahara safari - That was quite good actually.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

You guys make it sound great!! Well it beats work anyway

Might have to try the Sahara trip sounds cool.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went there a couple of years ago and like nookie bear said there are quite a few gits either trying to sell you some pile of shite that you dont really want or they try and sell you their sisters/mothers/grandmothers/themselves take your pick. The best way to get rid of them is to say that you are russian - say roosk - I am not sure how to say it but most of them dont speak russian lol

Go to the beduin feast trip if you can - The food aint great but fit belly dancers and as much free wine as you can drink make up for it

And dont buy export drinks from the bars (JD, Vodka etc) Stick to the local spirits - they are much cheaper and quite nice.

Have a good time though and dont try to buy any ganja - they dont have any!!!! Loads of laws and stuff but its to long a story to go into

Andy
    look at the mooli

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the information people apart from the no ganja part. I was hoping this wasnt the case. Will have to go without for 2 weeks

What are the resorts like in the area? I am staying in a hotel called Bel Azure.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't remember the name of the hotel I stayed in...doubt it makes a difference, if the weather allows it, go to the beach.

There are loads of people there walking up n' down the beach, that bug you, by trying to sell you all sorts of shit.

They also appeared to carry the some real arsenal with them, you don't have to ask them, they will come and offer it to you.

What happened to me is, this one dude, everyday he came up with his bags and baskets "NECTARIN, MANDARIN" he used to shout. Him getting equally fed up with me as I with him, he changed his tactics, when he came to my spot on the beach, it was "NECTARIN, MANDARIN, COCAIN, HEROIN...." I thought it was hilarious. Beware though, there are loads of cops on horses patrolling the beach.

Don't know about milder drugs, but would have thought they would be easily accessible because isn't Morocco known as a big exporter of e.g marijuana?

For drinks, yep, you won't find any of the European beers there, so stick with the local stuff "Celtia" (I think the name was) is a good choice, although it gives you gas, you'll know it in the morning (just make sure you leave the room before the cleaners arrive )

I had forgotten about the Beduin feast, that's a must, the belly dancers are quite awesome
    Last edited by cronus71; 10th October 2002 at 01:59 AM.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno if it's still the case m8, but I went about 8 years ago, and discovered that if you take a bottle of Jonny Walker red label out with you, you can basically exchange it for a hand made leather jacket.

It goes for about £8 a shot out there cos they can't get it.
    New rules for cable & satellite
    from 15th March 2005
    do some reading and avoid a ban.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just got back from tunisia about 8 hours ago

The weather has been good the last few weeks.

Watch out for the orange water in the hotels tho, it scared the crap out of me, You will be having a shower and suddenly the water turns bright orange!! apparently its quite common in north arfica.

Oh and those annoying arabs trying to sell you crap that you don't want, AAAAGHH, they really pi$$ed me off.

Sure you will enjoy it tho. I did, for the first week anyway

Gimp

Thanks
    Karma Level

1 last question. Do many people speak English out there? I heard it is mainly French and Arabic. I dont know either!!

BM

Thanks
    Karma Level

All the ones i spoke to seemed to speak english really well. Better than alot of people in this country.

Gimp