Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Guide to getting a BBC Scotland

If u follow the steps below and the summary at the bottom you should have no problems gettin bbc scotland, ive used this method myself and can cofirm this works 100%

STEP 1:
    Find somebody with a permanent scotish address who will give you permission to phone the bbc fta line and order the card and then forward it to you.

STEP 2:
    phone 0870 243 8000, remember to put in 141 first, then tell them that you want a FTV card for the box you have just bought( if they ask the person you bought it off didnt hand over the old card) then give them the name and address of the person who is going to forward the card to you.
    they will also ask for the serial number and version number of the box(alternativly the number on the box, approx 16 digits will do)

STEP 3:
    Send a stamped addressed envelope to the person who is getting the card for you and get them to forward it to you.
    They say that it takes upto 7 working days but its normally 2 days.

STEP 4:
    When your card arrives disconect the sky box phone line at the wall. You will need to phone them again on 0870 243 8000, again remembering to put in 141 first, and tell them that you would like to activate your new bbc scotland card.

STEP 5:
    You will need to quote your reference number to them(saves a lot of time) and they will then ask you to insert your bbc fta card into your digi box(the slot your sky card is normally in).

STEP 6:
    They will ask you to go through the menus so that they can get your digi box serial number and software version.
    This is so that they can mirror the card to the box.

STEP 7:
    They will tell you to leave your card in and that it will take upto 24 hours for the card to be fully activated.
    Initially your card will not activate any of the bbc channels, do not worry this is normal.

STEP 8:
    After the 24 hours are over you should have a fully working bbc fta card that allows you to watch bbc scotland.

STEP 9:
    You simply swap the sky card for the bbc fta card when u want to watch a program on the different region of bbc, and swap back when you have finished.

And that children is how it works.
    If theres any problems or anything that you would like explaining further please dont hesitate to ask.

I hope this will help clear up the great debate about how these things actually work.

cheers very much

DM

*obviously if you want a different region of bbc you need to get a card for that area and not scotland.
    Last edited by Danger Mouse; 24th April 2003 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent post DM,

Just a quicky...

Do you know the consequences of actually giving them a number i.e. in step 2 if i did give them a number would it actually matter.

For example, i could just get my scottish contact so say i'm out if they ever rang that number or give them a mobile number to contact me on.

Also, when giving your details in step 2 do they ask for a lan line current number?

Many thanks,
    tricellet

Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest when i phoned up to order the card to the address i just said that i was just moving up there in a few days and the phone line wasnt going to be put in for another fortnight so unfortunatly there was no number to give, they didnt ask for an alternative number.

If your going to give them a number it will have to be the number of the person who u get the card sent to, only thing with doing this is they mite trip up and then they mite block the card.

i cant think ov ne reason y they would phonebut like i say m8, the steps above r the xact ones i used and it worked without any problems.

cheers

DM
    Celtic FC 1888

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for this advice. I will be trying this.

However do they ask about the dish ? What if they ask if there is a dish there at the 'new address'. And won't they know if there is or isnt a dish at said address?

Thanks in anticipation.
    Cow Pie

Thanks
    Karma Level

cow pie - they shoudln't ask anything about the dish as that has nothing to do with it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just had to dig this out to get the number as theyve changed the FTV cards so i thought id bump it incase any1 is intreested

regards
    Last edited by Danger Mouse; 24th April 2003 at 10:12 AM.
    Celtic FC 1888