Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire strike

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by robertdoran

Rise assessed?

How can going in to a blazing inferno be risk assessed?

Risk assessment is knowing the risks and hazards of the job in hand. You cannot risk assess a blazing inferno, that is a fact
    I'm just quoting what a fireman/firefighter that was on the news said.

ABCMan

Originally posted by Snak3

4me2 if your house burnt down tomorrow, and because the fire brigade was on strike you could do jack all but watch, would you take this view?

If they're not happy with the pay, they should leave. IMO 30 grand a year is perfectly satisfactory - and below the 40% tax boundary. If they get a pay increase most of it will just be taxed again so they're probably better off as they are atm.
    1) if my house burned down when the firemen were on strike i'd still blame the government.

2) you know if there was a serious emergency (major road accident or bomb) the firemen would still respond strike or not.

3) they dont get £30,000 thats what they are wanting and why they are striking, of course they are worth that much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

£30,000 a year for 4 days a week?

plus they can have another job if they feel like it, or to suppliment their income.....

Where do I sign up?
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

ABCMan

£30,000 a year to work nightmare shifts and to know the next time that bell sounds might be the last day you will ever see your wife or children or could be the day you are faced with being unable to help get a child out of a burning building leaving images of its screaming face as it burned to death marked forever on your soul. Still want to sign up?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shift work is always a nightmare, and driving to work and walking about a busy street is probably just as dangerous statistically.

I wouldn't mind, but they've stopped taking new applicants.

Says a lot when the retained fire fighters think they are being stupid twats tho....
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

The army risk there lives are they going to get a 40% rise, the police risk there lives are they getting a 40% rise, lifegaurds risk there lives are they getting a 40% rise etc, etc. Are they going on strike? If the army went on strike would the Firebrigade stand in. The army are being trained to do a firemans job in just days to cover the strikes, how safe do you feel.
    I understand the firebrigade do a great job and deserve more money, ok and its the governments fault, but they are risking lives going on strike.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the pay is so crap, then why is it that the Fire Service has no shortage of recruits ? At the end of the day it's because most people that want to join are not doing it for the money. Wouldn't it be a great world if EVERYBODY got big pay rises and we all had loads of dosh !! Life ain't like that, some people earn big money for doing bugger all and some get paid pennies for workin' their asses off - So what's the difference with this situation , none as far as I can see. You choose your proffession and then you try to maximise your earnings within it. Don't allow yourself to be fooled by the emotional blackmail trick. They have a job to do - if the pay is not to their liking well, there are plenty of people who would find the pay adequate.
    Plenty of people put their lives at risk every day and either get NO Pay for it or very little i.e. - Mountain Rescue , Cave Rescue, RNLI, Auxiliary Firemen, Special Constables, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Steeplejacks, Road Workers (I wouldnt stand on a motorway with just a road cone for protection), And last but not least - Everybody that Walks, Cycles, Drives to work on our bloody roads, we are all taking risks all the time - If we weren't we wouldn't need Firefighters or Police or nurses, now would we ? I have nothing against people getting well paid , but I don't like being played the weeping violin to get me on their side.
    DONUTS :) ------ Is there anything they can't do ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Exactly, one of the highest retention rates of any profession....
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by anayet

But what they do is risk assessed. Football players wages are not payed by the public, so they cannot be compared to fire fighters

i think thats wot they shud do ave fire fighter leauges from around the contry which is the bets fire fighter? could be sponsered by ffa (like the fa but for the fire fighters) and it could be televised and the fire fighters could be paid more?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

think about this a guy walks up to you as watch a house burning to the ground and says here's 80 quid go into that burning house and see if you can find anyone alive would you do it ??
    allright double the money Tempted yet ??
    firefighters do this every day for less so i don't think the jobs about money all there asking for is a half decent wage

police and the army cannot strike and the police wages are crap but they are not in the same position as firefighters to do much about it

i personally think the fire service is one job that you couldn't really put a price on ( how much is saving lives worth ?? ) they should get what they ask for it's not a lot of money compared to some wages
    Last edited by cosmicma; 21st October 2002 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ye, was gonna say, military/police services dont have the option to strike as a point of national security and public safety...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im reading this tread with great interest and when you all had your say ill have mine... in the meantime ill be watching!!!!
    Im off to a place of worship and wont be back till closing time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Firemen(fk this firefighters shit),deserve every penny...and more.
    If any of the emergency services have a fault,its that they are too slow to take industrial action,for fear of looking uncaring.
    40% seems strong,but only because these guys have swallowed it for so long.
    And anyone who rattles about squirting water,should speak to a fireman.....and see if YOU could "shovel" up smouldering remains of families.
    It takes a special person,and special people deserve our respect.
    Give them respect.
    Up the Unions.............well,to a point.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Incidentally,reading back through the thread again,how exactly do the police compare ?.They can make a choice to stand back,and often do.
    Watch a street battle,police stand back til it settles then arrest some of the leftovers.
    Can Firemen do this..?
    Striking is the last real employee "right" left..!
    £30,000 aint a lot of money anymore,and I cant beleive the ignorant,arrogant and downright offensive comments that are being liberally thrown about here.
    If you cant do something for your fellow human beings anymore,at least support those who put their lives on the line for it....and even for you and yours someday.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by cosmicma
    think about this a guy walks up to you as watch a house burning to the ground and says here's 80 quid go into that burning house and see if you can find anyone alive would you do it ??
    allright double the money Tempted yet ??
    firefighters do this every day for less so i don't think the jobs about money all there asking for is a half decent wage

police and the army cannot strike and the police wages are crap but they are not in the same position as firefighters to do much about it

i personally think the fire service is one job that you couldn't really put a price on ( how much is saving lives worth ?? ) they should get what they ask for it's not a lot of money compared to some wages
    Well said m8.
    As i said before if the government can get it for
    doing fAck-all..Why cant the fire-fighters.
    fitzy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Say the fireman gets injured, who HAS to look after him, the doctors, who work more than 4 days a week and can't have a 2nd job, but their basic sallary will be lower????!?!?!?!

Have you ever been up A&E on a saturday night?

AND docs are banned from striking too,

I say give em the 40% but remove their right to strike.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive got a good idea, wait for the strikes then burn down the houses of parliment, all the money saved paying bloodsucking politicians can then be given to the fire service. Reckon that might be more than 40%
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Prescott is due to make a press conference at 3:30pm today.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

in the Thature days, all public service people got shafted.

Firefighters should NOT get less than LU Workers- just remember that the London underground is currently goverment funded - and the drivers get more than Firefighters.

I can unfortunutely, see this strike opening doors to nurses, police, etc, but maybe if the goverment sorted their act out in the first place there would not be this worry.

Just my 2p.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12