Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Flying Games... Wheee

Now I do not post much, pretty much because of the balatant stupidity most people enjoy demonstrating. But I'm going to go out on a limb and ask all of you for some advice.

I've been yearning for a good flight simulator for a while, but haven't really been checking whats good and whats not recently. So my question is, what are the good flight simulators out there? Prefferably space sims, something along the lines of Privateer/Privateer2, if any of you still remember those games. Last one I recall having is Starlancer, which was a lot of fun.

Any other info would be nice aswell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my professional (highschool education!) opinion, Descent Freespace 1 & 2 are the alltime best space fighter sims ever made. They are fucking fantastic, I have yet to see a sim that even comes close to those two games.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out. I've also accidently managed to stumble upon a game called Freelancer (typed Freelancer instead of Freespace), which is supposed to be the successor to the Privateer series. Its not released yet, but atleast I have something to look forward to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Strike Fighters: Project 1 and Combat Flight Simulator 3 will be out in a few days.
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=223563
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categorie...p?pf_id=224156

Thanks
    Karma Level

the only flight sim i liked wuz...CRIMSON SKIES!! there isnt a million of buttons to press to get the friggin plane in the air (simple controls)...and the gameplay is just fun fun fun!

Thanks
    Karma Level

not a real sim but since its space I like the wing commander series , good story line and shit like that but again thats my opinium.

MaTriX

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by [six]
    I've also accidently managed to stumble upon a game called Freelancer (typed Freelancer instead of Freespace), which is supposed to be the successor to the Privateer series.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for Freelancer. It was originally supposed to be released 2 years ago. It was being developed by Digital Anvil, led by the guy that did Wing Commander. But the game didn't meet its original date, and Digital Anvil went under.

The publisher (I forgot who) sold the still-unfinished game to Microsoft, and the game has been pretty much sitting somewhere for two years. I don't know know how much work has been done on it, but considering that the game is 2 years late, and its original designers aren't even involved anymore, I don't think things look very good for Freelancer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let alone the fact that Starlancer by the same guys was an absolute piece of shit.

Space sims are kind of a dead genre for the most part nowdays, I can't even think of one coming down the pipe unless you own a console and want some shit like those stupid star wars games that were released not too long ago....Starfighter i think it was?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Heh Fro, I remember playing that Chuck Yeagers game on my old pos comp years and years ago. But a good space sim would either be FreeSpace 1 and 2, or Independence War 2(never tried 1, so I can't recommend it). Independence War 2 has a good amount of mods for it and pretty realistic physics. Of course, if you like some nostalgia, Tie Fighter/X-Wing were good space sims.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Fro
    uhhh, earth and beyond maybe? massively multiplayuer online space shooter

If you had ever played earth and beyond i doubt you would have even mentioned it in this thread. It is most definately NOT a space flight sim, same with EVE.

I TOTALLY forgot about independance war 2, that was a pretty good game and i think the graphics for the most part still hold up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default realistic and scifi

for realistic with alot of buttons and functions
    janes fa-18
    falcon4 with sp3
    flanker 2.5
    il-2

for scifi
    wing commander (those make me laugh) luke skywalker lol lol
    independence war
    descents are all good.. even #3 i like

ps
    i cant wait for
    LOMAC
    STRIKE FIGHTERS PROJECT 1
    MS COMBAT FLIGHT SIMUALTOR 3
    WOOHOO

Thanks
    Karma Level

What are more arcade type combat fighters? Crimson Skies is cool, but what else is there?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i didn't much like crimson skies. the pace, if there was any it was slow, it took ages to turn a plane around...

Descent and all freespace's are amazing.

Freespace 1 and freespace 2 are so far the best space flight sims out there. Nothing can really place them in second place.

There was this old old old flight game I played, rouge squadron it was quite amousing but after a while it got boring.

I haven't tries il-2 is it anygood?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Fro
    ya know, unless were talking about a sidescrolling shooter, just about any game in which you pilot a ship in space and shoot things is a sim. or if that isnt the case, then there's no such thing as a space flight sim unless someone made a game where you pilot a space shuttle
    In Earth & Beyond all you do is click around with a mouse which makes you move around/attack, same as any MMO out there. In tradition space sims, you actually pilot the plane around with a joystick and control more aspects of it, rather than just clicking on a point to go somewhere.

EDIT: Also, if you want a really good simulation, get IL2 Sturmovik...best realistic WWII sim I've ever played.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try the airplanes in Battlefield 1942. It's very fun strafing people and bombing tanks and ships online. It might not be very realistic as far as sims go, but damn it's fun! One thing; be a very fast runner, because chances are your teammates want to fly the planes too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,

If your looking for a good civilian flight sim, nothing beats Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. Microsoft is your friend.

Also a good space simulator is X-Wing Alliance. Bit old now but its still fun.

Remember, Microsoft is your friend.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Steven Hogswatch
    Regional Public Relations Officer
    Microsoft Corporation
    Redmond, Washington 98052

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want a realistic sim:
    A-10 Cuba! , Eurofighter 2000 and all DiD games (F22-ADF), Flanker 2.5, F/A-18 Hornet 3.0 and IL-2 which is just, IMHO the best WW2-based simulator.

= Tip o' hat for Aces of the pacific, on which I spend incredible hours back on my 486 =

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Fro
    ya know, unless were talking about a sidescrolling shooter, just about any game in which you pilot a ship in space and shoot things is a sim. or if that isnt the case, then there's no such thing as a space flight sim unless someone made a game where you pilot a space shuttle
    Actually, there IS a game where you pilot a space shuttle

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Shuttle

Probably the only real type simulator out there, though - I guess people dont really find piloting Space shuttles that fun

edit: here's another http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.ph...pace+Simulator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Digital Anvil is bought by MS, that's all, Freelancer is looking very good at the moment and is scheduled for early 2003, ok it's 2 year later then intended, but the game should be very big and fully random like privateer

Starlancer wasn't super, but it wasn't bad or something, just a bit short, space sims and sims become rare so you can't be too pickey
    and no, i'm not playing the same game for the 13th time