Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default satellite or cable

given a choice and say hypothetically both exist....would you rather pay for a cs cable service or satellite service if a traders payserver was your only option...or would you rather do without than pay a trader a sub?

or would you rather pay sky than fund terrorism.

thoughts please...
    Last edited by mik25; 15th April 2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added all cs being controlled by terrorists option

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: satellite or cable

I'd rather pay sky than fund terrorism. Is that an option?

Thanks
    Karma Level

of course...

updated it..
    Last edited by mik25; 15th April 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, everything funds terrorism nowerdays..

DF must be full of terrorists if you believe the press' shite
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Possy_99 View Post
    DF must be full of terrorists if you believe the press' shite
    It is, didn't you know.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tsk... infidel.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

from what I've read so far, cable will most likely also go the c$ route, so as I was explaining to someone last night for those who have no interest or are seeming imcapable of learning, pay servers will be the only way to go..

The days of ongoing free tv for numpty ned are numbered.. if cable does c$ route, I doubt anyone will provide the service to people they don't really know well for fook all when they have to pay top whack monthly sub to be able to offer the service in the first place..

i don't live in a cable area so have little knowledge on it, but i do believe it's not affected by adverse weather conditions, so for that sole reason i'd prefer cable.. but it seems the 'systems' will be almost identical.. however if you know what your doing you can get free sly by connecting and maintaing connections with other servers, but if you have nothing to offer in return this can be difficult - but not impossible..

..but take cable, a cable box only does cable - so if you want to connect to a server, you have nothing else to offer in return - with limited spaces on each server and the fact the operator has to shell out for a card.. it's obvious to it will take the pay server route..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 15th April 2010 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

traditionally in the states for example there are huge pay servers tied to one decoder...its a different system there i know but...traders are traders...same all over

Thanks
    Karma Level

cable hasn't gone c$ over here yet.

the only experience I have with sat servers are 'average joes' sharing amongst themselves with no money being transferred.. I have no experience of 'commercial' pay servers, but what I think we're going to find is that there will be 'small time' guys much like ourselves who provide tv at a fraction of the cost for people who wouldn't normally have a clue.. for those 'numpty neds' it will be that or full price official sub..

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh?

tbh honest i have found the exact opposite...traders care little about the quality of the sevice and regularly run too many peers through greed...cards cant handle it...whereas hobbyists take pride in it and have their own communities or even just family and friends..personally i'm not interested in cs but i'm well versed in configuring servers of all kinds out of interest...have setup plenty for m8's that are sharing to small groups...if small servers are glitching you should be looking at your setup or maybe running too many from a box sever..

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah, i think I touched on that earlier, limited spaces available and judging by other people's comments regarding commercial servers, it certainly seems they don't care about those limits. But I think that will pave the way for smaller groups of people, be it mates/family whatever to share amongst themselves.. but the operator doesn't get it for free anymore either - quality wise the best solution is for one person to sub up and have a closed private server - so I think we'll start to see relevant (ongoing) costs passed on to end users in some way..

take pc repair.. here's me about to format a laptop.. everything needed to do it is online and you can get it for free if you know what you are doing.. but the owner doesn't.. so they're fully prepared to pay me to do it.. and they'll get a better and cheaper service from me than pc world who won't go the extra mile and include basic extras etc..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 15th April 2010 at 03:11 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

there is nothing to cs..a little understanding of network structure and common sense anyone can do it..there is relatively cheap(under £70) that will run 50 clients stable and would fit in a shoe box...why should i post details...i'm not ..that "it's difficult"name it has is the only thing protecting us from another cable rush where every halfwit running a server thinks he's a hacker...deja vu to cable when leechers were enabled to sell boxes galore because of easy to use apps n scripts...its coming...and so is sky's reaction...they will be designing countermeasures now...and then the hackers will look round the forums for fixes doin no research into how it works...cs is for traders basically

Thanks
    Karma Level

..I agree, networking knowledge and common sense will get you there.. but when I was first asked to get my m8's new technomate grafting, the very first time I tried to learn c$ I found it difficult, and i had used telnet/ftp way before and was comfortable using them.. but it still took a few days to learn and sink in properly.. I know alot of people who wouldn't even bother trying to learn - as you say they just resort to 'i don't know aything about xxx'.. fair enough.. I don't know anything about engines and have no desire to learn.. earch to their own I guess.. keeps me in a job at the end of the day.

you said in another thread... (http://www.digital-forums.com/showth...55#post3278955)

"your first step should be to ask friends and family if they would like to join you and share the cost" .. this is exactly what I'm talking about, closed private servers - passing on costs.. technically speaking.. payservers / traders...

there's a clear distincion going on here though, I think you mean commercial payservers, like the ones advertising via websites etc.. but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - the common opinion is they don't care about service rather the money.. but I'm really basing my argument on closed / private servers - but non the less, if cost is shared then it's a payserver.. I can't see anyone shelling out for a sub and giving it away freely with nothing in return though.. even today on places like ECS - if you have nothing to offer in return it is very difficult to get anywhere.. and that's the position most 'average joes' will find themselves in I rekon.. why buy a sub to share if the aim is to get it for free..
    Last edited by Possy_99; 15th April 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

no...i mean anyone thats doing it purely for the money...if i chose to i could tier 8 cards from the wee box i mentioned earlier and run over 400...i like money too but its not my god i'm just not interested

check your pm i have an example for you..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In answer to your question Mik I am on a payserver but I would prefer if it wasn't the case. I would have preferred something private but I thought it was difficult to start from nothing, not knowing what to get to be able to share, on forums people don't want to talk specific packages. The server guy isn't anonymous he's at a shop, so I know where to go if anything happens - not like he gives a receipt or anything.

So my situation isn't ideal but me & my mate from work (who joined the server first) have something that works most of the time.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

beans the clients arent any issue at all m8 and neither are the hobbyist guys...its the ones jumpin on it purely for profit that will ruin it for you all like they have the modems and plenty before those..a large part of the reason guys that could help don't which is killing forums too..they dont sell their work so why let others..u know the score anyway...at least the card leechers targetting nds..i like them even less that eases the annoiyance a bit lol

read ya pm in 5 mins m8..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most traders are using sharing the hobbyists cards between other hobbyists and then selling the resulting shared cards to the customers. If that makes sense.

I have had a few traders in the past adding me. I came to the conclusion they were pay servers due to the amount of ECM's. Although I think maybe we are getting off topic now, and into dark areas according to DF rules.

And as I said. I'd rather pay for Sky than pay a card server. Even if it was only a fiver. If I was sharing a sub with a few mates, that's a different matter.