Close

Thread: chinese deal

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default chinese deal

just seen on sky news that a deal has been setup with China no details as yet but one of the 17 current venues will be axed to make room for it.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- In another major sporting coup for China, Shanghai officials have signed a deal with Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone to stage the Grand Prix from 2004.

The city has won a seven-year contract to host the races and Shanghai officials are confident the circuit will be completed and approved by the FIA, the sport's world governing body, in time to stage the 2004 event.

Billed to be Asia's biggest racetrack, work has already begun on the $240 million complex in the city's western outskirts.

The main 4.5-kilometer circuit is designed by German Hermann Tilke and will accommodate up to 200,000 spectators, state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Tuesday.

Plans are also afoot to build a theme park.

"I'm very pleased that we've decided to wait to come to Shanghai," Ecclestone was quoted as saying by Xinhua, after a signing ceremony with city officials on Monday.

"I sincerely hope that the Formula One coming to China will breed enthusiasm for motor sport in China."

The deal is the latest in a series of major events heading China's way. Shanghai will host the ATP Tennis Masters next month -- the climax to the men's season.

The biggest coup though happened last year when Beijing was awarded the right to host the 2008 Olympic Games.

It is not the first time China has made a play to host a Formula One event. More than nine years was spent developing a track in the southern city of Zhuhai.

Zhuhai was betting on gaining a spot on the Formula One calendar in 1998, but the circuit allegedly failed to meet FIA standards.

The Formula One season is made up of 17 Grand Prix, 11 of which are staged in Europe. It is not yet clear which venue, if any, will be dropped in favor of Shanghai.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc...0/22/china.f1/
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.