Close

Thread: News on Fags

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default News on Fags

The cigarette import laws are to be relaxed

allowing the amount that cross channel shoppers can bring back from presently 800 to 3200 fags per person.

Ive just heard this on Sky news so i dont have any details as to when this is supposed to take effect maybe one of you have more details youd like to share with the members ?

update a 20 a day smoker will be able to bring in 6 months reply.

The term for own personal use is being applied a lot but how the hell are they going to know if you smoke them yourself or flog them later ?
    Last edited by 4me2; 29th October 2002 at 12:15 PM.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No more news i'm afraid but that has made my day as I'm off to France for a bit at the weekend so I can bring a shed load more back.

Cheers fella

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes it's true !

Cross-Channel shoppers are to be allowed to bring more cheap cigarettes into the country.

Economic Secretary John Healey, the minister responsible for Customs and Excise, said the "indicative levels" for travellers bringing cigarettes into the country for their own use are to be raised from 800 to 3,200 per person.

The move, announced in a Commons written answer, follows recent criticism of the Customs' tactics in clamping down on travellers suspected of trying to evade tobacco duty by bringing in cigarettes to sell on the black market.

Mr Healey also said new regulations would abolish the burden of proof on individuals to show that that goods brought in were for their personal use and require Customs to show that they were intended to be sold.

The Treasury, in conjunction with the Lord Chancellor's Department, is also to review the current appeals procedure, aimed at simplifying the current system.

At the same time, Mr Healey announced a further crackdown on large-scale and repeat offenders. "The measures I am announcing today will help make the distinction between smugglers and honest shoppers even clearer," he said.

"The measures make clear that Customs activity is legal and fair but tough on those who attempt to smuggle."

Treasury officials denied that the measures were in response to recent criticisms of Customs' tactics, insisting they were part of a long-term strategy, but acknowledged that they would make the system more "proportionate".

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is something that’s confusing me... I was under the impression you can bring as much as you like back.. but this 800 fags was a guide line for the officers .. ?

Last time I went to France I came back with 5 boxes of 800 as a foot passenger .... go figure ??? of course for my own personal use
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ Tim.Lad time to start reading the news

Thanks
    Karma Level

good news
    "The British Secret Service was staffed at one point almost entirely by alcoholic homosexuals working for the KGB."
    Clive James