Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default VCD Player for the PS2/PSX?

I think I remember that there were releases for vcd players on the ps2 but that they were all crappy or non-working. Have there been any more recent releases that actually work and are good quality?

But what about the PSX? Has there ever been any vcd player released for the psx? If so, have people had success with them? Any details about quality of the release would be appreciated. (and perhaps a releasing group name? )

Thanks
    Karma Level

The only 100% working solution that I am aware of for either of the PSX/PS2 is the hardware plug in I have for the PSX. Apart from that I am not sure that anything else is availible?!?
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

nothing else IS available. PS2 has a time limit of how much mpeg1 it can play at a time...........why I don't know!!!! PSX is the only option to play your VCDS mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

that is such a shame about ps2. Cheerz, lads.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think there was a player at some point, but it was for playing pss files (which is the standard ps2 movie format i think) and you had to convert the film on a pc first, too much trouble really, just buy a vcd capable dvd player quite cheap these days
    "Erm, I think we're losing sight of the real issue here, which is 'What are we gonna call ourselves?' Erm, and I think it comes down to a choice between 'The League Against Salivating Monsters' or my own personal preference, which is 'The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society'. Erm, one drawback with that - the abbreviation is 'CLITORIS'." - Rimmer - Polymorph
    my box: amd athlon xp2200+ // 512mb ddr // gf4 ti4600 // winxp pro

Thanks
    Karma Level

yip. I remember that conversion crap now. IMO the lack of a vcd/media player for the ps2 is a major shortcoming in the ps2 mod scene.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im hoping this will change when the linux kit is freely available and homebrew software can start, we might then find that some boffin comes up with a divx player as well
    "Erm, I think we're losing sight of the real issue here, which is 'What are we gonna call ourselves?' Erm, and I think it comes down to a choice between 'The League Against Salivating Monsters' or my own personal preference, which is 'The Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society'. Erm, one drawback with that - the abbreviation is 'CLITORIS'." - Rimmer - Polymorph

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Hermes & Mavy are still working on the public release of the divx player. You can read about it here or keep track of the site ps2reality. You still need to reburn your divx but then you can stream the movie for the cdrom!

Thanks
    Karma Level

alright well at least there is hope. Damn teh ps2 linux scene is kinda slow. the damn kit came out a long time ago. Thanks for the links though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hehe, some nice translations by babelfish there , thanks for the links

Thanks
    Karma Level
    Some more info on the player here [www.idg.es]
    ps. babelfish makes the world smaller...

Thanks
    Karma Level

there is a ps2 vcd player but you need a midifed ps2 to use it il get the link for it

Thanks
    Karma Level

okay. no vcd player yet. However, I DID find a AVI player by a group called. ps2reality. It is fairly easy to use. Simply click and drag the avi file into the their app, called cdgenPS2, as well as three "system" files (which "make" a player on the disc when the whole thing is burned), and then you activate the IMG function which makes a bin and cue file. Then you can use whatever app to burn it and use it on the ps2.

The link at the the bottom is to the application. The link is posted publicly on ps2reality's site at http://www.ps2reality.net/showdocument.php?t=8762

The app: http://www.indicedivx.com/zips/Repro...es/ps2divx.rar

(don't worry...the instructions are in both spanich AND english)

enjoy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

only some people have needed to do this method, i myself just burnt it with nero and put it on iso mode 2 and mode2 when burning, as well as disc at once and it worked first time.

Tho i have noticed that if you try to put in a seperate disc it doesnt like it and hangs until you put the main disc back in. it just means reburning your divx tho it might be a bit of a tight sqeeze for some as they require overburning as it is to fit on cd :/ but then again most films of that size are over 640x480 and wont play

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh okay. good to know. Thanks for the info on that.