Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dynamic drive overlay-help !

I'm in the procsess of doing an old PC up for one of the kids.On installing Norton antivirus 2003 it informs me the hard drives boot sector is not where it should be due to dynamic drive overlay.

The HD is a Quantum fireball 6.4 gig ata and the bios supports larger HD's than this.

How do I get rid of it ?

I'm not bothered if I have to fdisk the HD if needed,but do I need any perticular switches when formatting it ?

Any help appreciated !

PS PC running WIN98

Thanks Zydig0

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know too much about this.
    Quantum hdd's are supported by Maxtor, I think the hdd had to be fdisk'ed using MaxBlast or similar DDO software.

I can't say 100% that a simple fdisk/mbr from a command prompt is going to solve your issue, so you should try this before hanging up your gloves and doing a full fdisk/format/install.

Maxblast support here
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

An Fdisk will be required to rewrite the boot sector (basically and as far as I remember). Had the drive always been in that PC?? generally you only needed it modifying if the original BIOS didn't support that size of drive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Violator
    An Fdisk will be required to rewrite the boot sector (basically and as far as I remember). Had the drive always been in that PC?? generally you only needed it modifying if the original BIOS didn't support that size of drive.
    No the HD and all the bits and peices have been scavenged from various PC's,but the mainboards bios that its running with now supports larger HD's than 6.4 gig so DDO isn't required-it's just slowing down booting up time.

@cronus,Thanks for the link. I don't know what software installed the DDO ? if it was installed by using Ontrack would Maxblast still remove it , I can't seem to find an answer from maxtor site ?If it wouldn't any idea how I can find a reference to what programme installed it ?

I fdisk'd it and formatted it before loading WIN 98 but it still appears to be there ?

Any other switches to use apart from just making it /s ?

Sorry for all the questions,but this is really bugging me !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Zydig0
    I fdisk'd it and formatted it before loading WIN 98 but it still appears to be there ?
    So you actually deleted and recreated the partitions in FDISK, and it's still there?
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Zydig0

No the HD and all the bits and peices have been scavenged from various PC's,but the mainboards bios that its running with now supports larger HD's than 6.4 gig so DDO isn't required-it's just slowing down booting up time.
    Ahh that's my point, I figured it must have been in an older PC. But an Fdisk should completely remove the DDO if done properly, as cronus71 said did you actually delete and recreate the partitions??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Christ I'm begining to doubt my self now !.....but I know I did !

I cant find anything related to DDO in windoz .(as I pressume you would expect ?)

What can I run from DOS to see if/where it is ?

Apart from NAV reporting it is there and what its doing.....I don't know much else ???

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

When you boot the system, you should be able to see proof of DDO, then again since it was installed on another system I can't be sure it's visible.

Lifted this from another site: "Some of these overlays can be very difficult to remove from the disk, and require you to use uninstall facilities that come with the driver, if you want to get rid of them. When you do remove the driver, say because you have upgraded to a PC that supports large drives, you may have to repartition and reformat the disks (though this may not be required). "

Look here, this should be useful, it is for the Quantum drives specifically, if you check out this utility there should be an option for you to erase/delete DDO or hopefully the whole partitions.

Middle of the page here

As I said, I have no "hands on" experience with DDO's, but I think it may even be possible, that when you enter FDISK, a small part of the hard drive is not seen there (used by the DDO), and the DDO probably behaves as a hidden partition by itself, hence it would be necesary to remove it with the same utility it was installed. Well and with a low level format, which I hope won't be necessary.

Hope this helps m8.
    Last edited by cronus71; 6th November 2002 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've come across this before. Just do an FDISK /MBR This sorts out the Master Boot Record.

HTH
    "Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."

Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks very much for the help,I'll look through it in more detail latter.

Thanks again Zydig0

Thanks
    Karma Level

fdisk /mbr has certainly moved the mbr and NAV seems happy now

After doing a fdisk /mbr search with Google and reading some horror stories I was more than relieved to find that everything worked OK afterwards.

I did try using Ontrack Disk Manager but the PC hangs on loading it ,and as I have no idea what laid the DDO down I'm going to be a coward and leave it at that !

Thanks for all your help- Zydig0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dynamic drive overlay-help !

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have a similar problem now.

I have data on a large drive which original had ontrack v9.57 on to alter the drives boot system.

Please see my new thread....Only just found this old topic.

Anyway...did you manage to solve this problem and if so how?