Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention England's provisional World Cup squad includes Carragher and King

Fabio Capello has named his preliminary England squad for the World Cup. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

England coach Fabio Capello has included injured the Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry in his provisional 30-man World Cup squad.
    Sunderland's Darren Bent and West Ham United's Scott Parker are also named, while Jamie Carragher and Ledley King are included among the defenders in the 30-man squad. But there is no place for Manchester United's Owen Hargreaves, or the Fulham striker Bobby Zamora.
    Neither Carragher nor King has played under Capello, although the Tottenham Hotspur man was called into the squad for a double header against Slovakia and the Ukraine last year.
    However, with doubts over Rio Ferdinand and John Terry, and Wes Brown and Joleon Lescott ruled out through injury, Capello has talked Carragher out of retirement and will have a look at the Liverpool man, plus King, who has just played four games in 15 days, before finalising his 23-man squad for South Africa.
    Joe Cole also features, despite not having been involved since the win over Croatia in September 2008. Manchester City's Adam Johnson is one of two uncapped players – the other being Tottenham's Michael Dawson.
    Among the other players who were mentioned as candidates but did not receive a call were Phil Jagielka, Gary Neville, Stewart Downing, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Ashley Young and Carlton Cole.
    But missing out on today's squad does not necessarily end all hope of reaching the World Cup. Once his final 23-man party is named after the second of two forthcoming friendlies, against Japan in Graz on 30 May, Capello can still make changes due to injury, and those replacements do not have to come out of the original 30.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
    Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.
    Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
    Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

HTTP://FISTF.COM
    © 2011 FEDERATION INTERNATIONAL SPORTS TABLE FOOTBALL. All Rights Reserved

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: England's provisional World Cup squad includes Carragher and King

Carragher will be going then. There is no other deputy right backs there.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default England's provisional World Cup squad includes Carragher and King

I'm sure the other nations at the World Cup are quaking in their boots.

It makes me laugh that people think we can actually win it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by -G-Man- View Post

You must be a barrel of laughs around your mates... Lighten up and get yourself a pair of maracas ffs
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

carragher = slow and past it (and doesn't deserve an England shirt after what he said).

Otherwise there's not really any surprises
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810

You must be a barrel of laughs around your mates... Lighten up and get yourself a pair of maracas ffs
    No mate I'm a realist.

Also not quite sure what my pals have got to dot with the likes Heskey & Upson being in the squad.

And as for having a pair of maracas!?? I bet your the guy on the office who wears 'wacky' ties to work, abit like Colin Hunt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqSYm7Xz8_c

never thought Carragher wud b bk after this.

quality radio
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

No mate I'm a realist.

Also not quite sure what my pals have got to dot with the likes Heskey & Upson being in the squad.

And as for having a pair of maracas!?? I bet your the guy on the office who wears 'wacky' ties to work, abit like Colin Hunt.

Heskey does contribute a lot to the England Team. Just not goals. I would prefer a 4-5-1, with Gerrard or Lampard supporting Rooney, and 2 out and out Wingers. But Capello has pedigree, and in Capello we trust.

Thanks
    Karma Level

GREEN
    Johnson Terry Rio Cole
    Carrick or barry
    Lennon Milner Lamps Cole/johnson/swp/wallcot (also any of these players on the right over lenon
    Gerrard
    Rooney
    and now

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dont think your gonna see anything amazing from Rooney this world cup fellas......He's used up all his good spells this season with United.
    I hate to say this but I think a lot of goals may come from Crouch and Defoe.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    GREEN
    Johnson Terry Rio Cole
    Carrick or barry
    Lennon Milner Lamps Cole/johnson/swp/wallcot (also any of these players on the right over lenon
    Gerrard
    Rooney
    Who's Terry Rio?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    Who's Terry Rio?
    u know what i mean
    and now

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find it amazing that some people can genuinely think England will not compete. We have a decent side who qualified with remarkable ease, we have a genuinely world class manager, and we have some players who are up there with the best talents in the world. Rio, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole - these guys would walk into just about any national team there is, maybe just excepting Spain, and even then I would expect Rio to be above Pique in the pecking order and Cole should get in too (no idea who plays LB for Spain though ). Yes, we have some positions that are questionable (goalkeeper, 2nd striker, left wing), and we have players who have issues with fitness and form (Gerrard most notably, though he looks like he's coming back into form, his pass the other day to Drogba was sublime).

Its about being realistic, maybe a little optimistic. I think this side should qualify from the group with relative ease, and then I HOPE we can make it further. Its a good squad, players used to operating at the highest level, 10 or so have played in a CL final FFS, plenty of experience. Its the best squad / manager combination since 1990 IMO.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyMan

Heskey does contribute a lot to the England Team. Just not goals. I would prefer a 4-5-1, with Gerrard or Lampard supporting Rooney, and 2 out and out Wingers. But Capello has pedigree, and in Capello we trust.
    Maybe, but he's not exactly doing it for Villa.

Put it this way, 89th minute of the semi final & a chance comes to heskey, would u put money on him taking it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Downing... He has been consistent for Villa this season since coming back from injury.. You know what you get with him and he has played more football than Joe Cole and SWP combined this season! (Probably)!

However it is only a provisional squad, he may just be looking at a lot of these as deputies. But did Capello not state before that he would only field his strongest team no matter the occasion.... Seems silly to think he will call up anyone other than the this group after the two practice games as the main team should be working together...

The team is fully of injury prone/past it players in my honest opinion... Scholes will be called up next! And I am surprised Beckham is not therer 'just in case he gets fit for 10 minutes play' ...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

IMO England only have 4 world class players: John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney & Ashley Cock.

Of them 4, only 2 are in form have had good seasons. Of them 2, one is only 60% fit and seems to be tired after a long hard season carrying his club to 2nd in the league. The other is a left back.

The rest of the 30 range from average to good, and the better ones aren't in form.

But like BBK said, we should qualify with ease from our group, but other than that? I won't hold my breath.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll be cheering for France of course

Thanks
    Karma Level

IMO England only have 4 world class players: John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney & Ashley Cock.

Of them 4, only 2 are in form have had good seasons. Of them 2, one is only 60% fit and seems to be tired after a long hard season carrying his club to 2nd in the league. The other is a left back.

The rest of the 30 range from average to good, and the better ones aren't in form.

But like BBK said, we should qualify with ease from our group, but other than that? I won't hold my breath.
    lampard ? ferdinand ?

you are day dreaming if you don't think they are world class.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    lampard ? ferdinand ?

you are day dreaming if you don't think they are world class.
    Ferdinand's finished his glass back won't last.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats a decent team considering... I'm confident of quarter finals and then its the usual rollercoaster ride!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast