Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stupid World Cup Fan Park future in doubt

Typical. Bristol is hosting one of the two Hyundai fan parks for the world cup which is ace. A massive screen in Queens Square for fans to watch the matches. I went to watch the match on Saturday afternoon and it was a really good relaxed atmosphere.

I read that the hosting of these screens is being monitored by Fifa and the behaviour of fans will go towards the 2018 bid. Looks like we won't be hosting the world cup any time soon.... This is why i'm not a fan of football. There are always a bunch of cnuts who end up ruining things.

Bristol screening of England's next World Cup match in doubt

The barriers break as fans celebrate England's goal at the Hyundai Fan Park in Queen Square on Saturday night, where England's game against the United States was shown on a giant screen.
    THE screening of England's next World Cup match in Queen Square could be axed after problems at the first game on Saturday.

Bristol City Council says although it wants the big screen showing of England v Algeria to go ahead, it cannot guarantee it.

Deputy chief executive Jon House told the Evening Post the council was concerned about a small minority who caused problems at the USA match last weekend.

But traders who have set up stalls at the event to sell fans food and drink are dismayed at the prospect of the screen staying dark for England matches, which are bringing them the lion's share of their business.

On Saturday evening, security stewards allowed 8,000 people into the park but stopped well below the 11,000 capacity due to problems in the bar area inside and with the fans outside, who were putting pressure on the security fence.

The gates were closed about an hour before the match, leaving hundreds of disappointed fans wondering why they could not get in when there appeared to be plenty of space inside.

Part of the fencing came down when Steven Gerrard scored England's only goal of the match, four minutes into the game.

City council officials were due to meet with senior police officers today to make a decision on whether the screening of Friday's match can go ahead, following a number of meetings yesterday reviewing how the event was run.

If the Algeria game is shown, a ticket-only entry scheme is being considered, as well as more police and security on site.

Alcohol sales on site are also due to be looked at.

Mr House said: "We have been reviewing the event on Saturday with the police and with the events team.

"Our concern is that while a very large number of people who turned up were positive and very well behaved, there were a very small number of people who caused problems in the bar area and around the outer fences.

"It is always a balance. We will review the number of security staff, the policing and the appropriate level of resource.

"Ninety-five per cent of the people turned up to watch a good football match but it is always difficult to legislate for a small minority who want to cause trouble.

"At this stage we are making plans for Friday but we can't guarantee that will go ahead.

"We are very keen for it to go ahead but we want to make it safe."

Mr House said if the Friday game goes ahead the council would look at more bins to deal with rubbish left by fans.

There was criticism of the way the event was organised on the Evening Post website yesterday, from people who had gone to Queen Square on the night.

Adam, of Clifton, said: "I didn't expect such poor organisation from the organisers who obviously have little experience in such events. Very disappointed."

But there was also praise for the organisers from some, who thought they did well in difficult circumstances.

Tom, of Bristol, said: "Considering this is the first of its kind in Bristol I think a very good job was done.

"I am sure they will make changes, learn from the mistakes and make it better each and every time."

Traders said the cancellation of the screening of Friday's England match would make them reconsider staying at the site.

They said they were relying on the England matches to make any money from their stalls at the event.

Only about 200 people turned up last night for the match between Italy and Paraguay, which meant business was very slow for the stallholders.

Sidharth Sharma, who runs the Thai Food stall, said if the England match was not screened, then they would have to reconsider staying there.

Joan Nutt, who runs Brunel's Buttery with her husband, said: "A few people were coming in over the fence but apart from that, I didn't see anything.

"I didn't see any trouble or any nastiness. I thought everyone was very excited but well-behaved."

Laurence Hamilton-Baillie, who works for the Spyglass floating restaurant which has a stall, said: "It would be devastating – not just for us but all the traders – if the screening does not go ahead on Friday.

"On Saturday, business was fantastic for us all day. The majority of people had a fantastic time."

He said in his opinion, the police made a mistake by refusing entry for some people when there was still capacity inside the fencing.

"A few got in through the fence but there were not many of them. In any case, most of them were caught by the security guards," he said.

The free fan park is one of only two such areas in the country and was set up at a cost of £80,000.

There were bigger issues at the other screening, in Manchester, with four men arrested after fights broke out in the crowd.

Police stressed that while there were a large number of people in attendance in Bristol on Saturday night there were only two arrests.

Spokeswoman Catherine Foster said: "Avon and Somerset police have not been directly involved in the planning of these screenings.

"They were organised by Bristol City Council in partnership with Hyundai.

"But as with any events involving large numbers of people, we would provide a visible presence and would respond to any incidents of public disorder which could threaten the safety of members of the public."

Hyundai spokesman Tom Barnard said: "Hyundai sponsored the Fan Park so we could help bring the excitement of the World Cup to football fans and families in Bristol.

"Safety will always be our primary concern and we will leave decisions about showing the England games to the experts in the police and council."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: World Cup Fan Park future in doubt

There were problems at the Castlefield screening in Manchester aswell. 15 thousand people turned up to what was promoted a family day out. Stupidly they sold booze and fights were kicking off everywhere. 4 people got arrested but it should have been a lot more. People were also pissing in cups and throwing them into the croud. Many families that showed up with kids left pretty sharpish.

I must admit I wouldnt take a kid to anything like that but it shows we cant have a family event without a bunch of mindless idiots kicking off and acting like animals.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We was suppose to have something like this in Milton Keynes glad we did not now

I'll stick watching it indoors :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by SiE View Post
    There were problems at the Castlefield screening in Manchester aswell. 15 thousand people turned up to what was promoted a family day out. Stupidly they sold booze and fights were kicking off everywhere. 4 people got arrested but it should have been a lot more. People were also pissing in cups and throwing them into the croud. Many families that showed up with kids left pretty sharpish.

I must admit I wouldnt take a kid to anything like that but it shows we cant have a family event without a bunch of mindless idiots kicking off and acting like animals.
    I was meant to be taking the kids to watch the 3pm game but no chance now. We'll paint our faces and make flags and sit at home instead to watch it. Beer wasn't allowed to be taken onsite and I saw loads of people with boxes of beer downing can's etc before they went in. Can't help matters.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I blame the media, the English media basically go as far as saying that England can, will and deserve to win every match they play. I can sort of see what they are saying because football is such a big part of English culture and they want to drum it up, but it doesn't mean that England always has the best side and if you make a bunch of young drunk men think they have some right to win something they'll inevitably go mental when they don't. (The media are also almost entirely to blame for Scotland and Wales and Ireland supporting anybody but England whilst other neighbouring countries support each other, it's inevitable after watching the coverage that you'd get a healthy dose of schadenfreude on seeing them lose, that combined with historical rivalries turns into all-out bigotry.)

I think the track record is a bit unfortunate too, England seem to qualify and get to the quarter finals or further almost every time and are almost always a strong team that other teams would not really want to be in a group with, without ever getting that little bit extra and winning (apart from '66 of course). That has to be fucking annoying for fans, being so consistently good and not taking it home. It's little wonder they end up with a reputation for throwing patio furniture around whilst smaller teams who generally do quite badly then occasionally do well tend to have friendlier fans, even in defeat.

I think the male-dominated nature of football in the UK causes a lot of violence too. It's more family oriented in other places, with women and children joining in a lot more in big matches especially, and that atmosphere is always going to be far less violent.

It would still be better if the whole of boring shitty football just got fucking banned though, everywhere. The world is so amazing and there's so much in it to be interested in without making up a random number generator in the form of who can afford the best ball kickers to decide pointless battles and encourage men to get drunk and fight rather than doing something useful.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    I think the male-dominated nature of football in the UK causes a lot of violence too. It's more family oriented in other places, with women and children joining in a lot more in big matches especially, and that atmosphere is always going to be far less violent.
    *cough* Rugby *cough* Motorsport *cough* *cough*

To name but two other predominately male orientated sports where violence is pretty scarce, despite both also having a culture of drinking enough to drown a whale.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    *cough* Rugby *cough* Motorsport *cough* *cough*

To name but two other predominately male orientated sports where violence is pretty scarce, despite both also having a culture of drinking enough to drown a whale.
    You are correct. This confirms my suspicions that football fans are just angry bastards for no good reason. I still blame the media though, the important difference is you don't see the media rallying behind the national rugby team in anything like the same way as they do with football.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

*UPDATE* Next games will be tickets only and no alcohol will be allowed.

Bristol's screening of England's match against Algeria will go ahead - with alcohol ban

Jon House admitted the showing of the England vs USA match was spoiled by drunken yobs who intimidated some spectators
    ​ENGLAND’S match against Algeria on Friday will be showed live on the big screen in Queen Square, despite problems at the screening of the USA match on Saturday.

Bristol City Council announced today that the screening of the Algeria match will be a ticketed event and that alcohol will not be available.

Jon House, the council’s deputy chief executive, admitted the showing of the England vs USA match was spoiled by drunken yobs who intimidated some spectators.

He said he wanted the screenings of further England games to be family-friendly and added that security would be beefed up.

Tickets for the next England game will be available at the Colston Hall from tomorrow at 10am.

Full story in tomorrow's Evening Post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    You are correct. This confirms my suspicions that football fans are just angry bastards for no good reason.
    Slight generalisation there

For me, they aren't generally football supporters, if they were they wouldn't risk a banning order potentially stopping them back their team. In my experience (home and away every week) it's generally the less dedicated who end up causing hassle, not your average football fan and I see very little trouble in and around the grounds.

Over recent years, football has changed big time in England, it's as sterile and family orientated as it's ever been in my lifetime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by foxy11 View Post
    Slight generalisation there

For me, they aren't generally football supporters, if they were they wouldn't risk a banning order potentially stopping them back their team. In my experience (home and away every week) it's generally the less dedicated who end up causing hassle, not your average football fan and I see very little trouble in and around the grounds.

Over recent years, football has changed big time in England, it's as sterile and family orientated as it's ever been in my lifetime.
    Agreed but at the same time you have to ask, why are these violent yobs attracted to football as opposed to, as I used in the example above, rugby and motor sport?

Or is it just that the violence in football is publicised a lot more than the violence after rugby games?

Thanks
    Karma Level

There isn't violence at rugby games though is there? At least not any where near as frequently if there is. There is a lot of hatred between teams in football, down to team differences/history as well as just general geographical rivalry which seems to spill over at football matches, especially when alcohol is added. The same hatred doesn't really exist in any other sport.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take you lot have never been to a Widnes/St Helens/Warrington rugby match then. Bloodbath before, during and after. Don't be so naive to think it doesn't happen because it does, I have seen it with my own eyes loads of times.
    Banned Scammer

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was at Twickenham a couple of weeks ago necking Guinness like it was going out of fashion. The only trouble I saw was three girls a couple of rows in front of me who wanted to show everyone their norks

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ekkl View Post
    Take you lot have never been to a Widnes/St Helens/Warrington rugby match then. Bloodbath before, during and after. Don't be so naive to think it doesn't happen because it does, I have seen it with my own eyes loads of times.
    That's not proper rugby though is it?

I've played, watched and supported rugby for nearly 20 years, and I've yet to see any off pitch violence. Plenty on the pitch like.

The difference in mentality astounds me. The old adage is true -

"rugby is a game for hooligans, played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen, played by hooligans."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been to a hell of a lot of rugby matches (including away at Scotland) and never seen any crowd violence, only a couple of weeks ago i watched my be-loved Bristol rugby get spanked in the championship play off final, there was over 12,000 fans there and not one bit of trouble. At the end of the match me and my mates went out of our own way to congratulate the exeter fans and wish them well for next season in the premiereship.
    Think its just the mentality of some football fans to start trouble, wouldn't at all suprise me if the trouble at Queens square started between Rovers and City fans.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you all see what happened when the lakers WON last night .........just saying :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk