Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

result Football fans watch England's first round win

Football fans watch England's first round win

Fans react to England's first half goal against Slovenia

Millions of England fans have watched England win their crunch World Cup match against Slovenia.

The result prompted celebrations across the country, where many businesses and schools had made special arrangements for people to watch the match.
    The 1-0 victory saw England qualify for the second round in South Africa, following a strike from Jermaine Defoe.
    But thousands of fans in south west London and Salford missed the match as power cuts affected homes.
    Power was out in the Twickenham area for most of the game, while 1,300 homes were affected in the Eccles area.
    "I can't believe I have a HD wide-screen TV and we're listening to the match on a wind-up radio. God bless Trevor Baylis," Kew resident Chris Caulfield told the BBC.
    An estimated 100,000 fans watched the match at the Glastonbury Festival.
    England fans in the country travelled to Port Elizabeth to watch the game, which was played at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
    Fabs leaving the stadium said they felt the team had finally got their World Cup campaign under way.
    Dan Thomas, 30, a sales manager from Guildford, Surrey, said: "It was an excellent game. We defended well, passed well, it was a completely different performance."

Residents in west London had to revert to wind-up radios He said he was now going to cancel his ticket home to stay for the next match.

Derek Zackon, 50, from Carshalton, south-west London, said: "It was a nervous start but they got the job done.
    "The whole country must have been on the edge of their seats for the last 15 minutes."
    Many schools in the UK closed early to let pupils see the game.
    Students at John Cleveland College, in Leicestershire, were told last week they could leave early. It said it had a positive response, with only two or three people expressing concerns.
    The Association of School and College Lecturers said it was a matter for individual schools to decide, but it was not really a problem as most schoolchildren finished at 3pm and would be home for 4pm.
    Some local authorities allowed staff to use their flexi-time to watch the match.

'Flexible working'

The Local Government Association said it depended on the job, as a community support officer on shift was a different matter to someone working in the post room.
    "If you look at it from a common sense perspective, you can make arrangements so an employee can make time up later in the week, that's a reasonable approach," a spokesman said.
    "It's finding a balance between what everyone wants to get out of it, watching England win, and ensuring services continue as normal."
    Meanwhile, Downing Street said the prime minister had a meeting with the Irish Taoiseach Brian Cowan at 1515 BST but would try to watch the second half.
    On Tuesday, the TUC called on bosses to let staff watch the match either at work or away from the office if appropriate.
    The union's general secretary Brendan Barber said employers should discuss the issue with workers "to avoid any tensions".
    But a survey of more than 140 firms by the London Chamber of Commerce found that two-thirds were not making any special arrangements as they could not afford the drop in productivity.
    Supermarket giant Tesco appointed 1,900 "World Cup Champions" with responsibilities which include organising flexible rotas so staff could watch the games, and communicating all match fixtures and in-store World Cup related activities to colleagues.
    David Potts, retail director at Tesco, said: "We have a diverse workforce and many will want to watch their countries play and so we are doing all we can to accommodate this with options to shift swap or make the time up at a later date as well as playing all matches within our staff rooms."
    Cereal manufacturer Kellogg's erected big screens for 600 staff in the central atrium of the company's Manchester HQ.

UK forces in Afghanistan will see a recording of the England game Military personnel serving in Afghanistan were not able to watch the match live, the Ministry of Defence said, but a replay of the game would be shown on the British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS).

Troops in more remote locations, without satellite TV, would be sent a DVD later, the MoD added.
    Wimbledon rules prevent the screening of the World Cup. The club has refused to relent on this ban and did not publicly show the match on its big screen.
    Meanwhile, for those who wanted to fit in shopping around the match, the Bluewater shopping centre in Kent showed the game in one of its cinemas for free.
    Heathrow Airport in west London has installed extra screens in each terminal to allow people flying out to catch the matches.
    And for those who would rather be outdoors there were big screens in a handful of cities - Leeds, Manchester, Leicester, Middlesbrough and Swansea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10381395.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Football fans watch England's first round win

What!!
    football fans will watch this game??!!
    great news and thread

Thanks
    Karma Level

whoever says Milner was our Man of the match is talking bollocks. Watch it again later... you'll only hear him mentioned once in the first half, thats for the goal, then after that its for crosses that petrified the daisies on the pitch.

Terry was MOTM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gerrard MoM for me, he was EVERYWHERE and was making some absolutely sublime passes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    whoever says Milner was our Man of the match is talking bollocks. Watch it again later... you'll only hear him mentioned once in the first half, thats for the goal, then after that its for crosses that petrified the daisies on the pitch.

Terry was MOTM.
    Buhahahahaaaaaaa, suck that 10 incher.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Terry was the man of the match for me. Great desire.

Milner almost never cleared the first man with his crosses EXCEPT for the goal.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is what Terry is all about, ok he didn't get it but the effort was amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4xTZAawOc

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

what a man
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post

Talking bollocks. If you watched the game you'll see that wasn't his only cross. How Terry could be the man of the match when Slovenia offered fuck all up front suggests you're a nincompoop.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lloydi View Post
    This is what Terry is all about, ok he didn't get it but the effort was amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4xTZAawOc
    YES. This is what i'm talking about. After all the bullshit he's had in the press over the last couple of days, this is how you go out and say fuck you to all his doubters.

Not like Rooney, he spat his dummy at the end of the last game and had another stinker today. Hopefully being subbed will wake him up.

Gerrard was v good also, and James played well too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Talking bollocks. If you watched the game you'll see that wasn't his only cross.
    He never said it was. Just the only useful one that cleared the first guy defending it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

How the fuck could Terry be Man of the Match when Slovenia offered nothing up front? If you can answer that I'll concede the point.

Jokers.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

England wasting time near the corner flag for the last ten minutes was, i thought hilarious, ffs Slovenia offered nothing up front and are cr@p and we're the mighty England

Will have to shape up in the coming game(s)

Thanks
    Karma Level

England vs Germany in the next game...what a fucking juicy prospect! Vive la Coupe du Monde!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

for me the MoM was either gerrard or glen johnson both put in great effort through the match
    Bang Bang,
    you just dropped dead

Thanks
    Karma Level

Milner was fucking ace. It isn't all about crosses into the box. Terry was very good against a very poor attack so lets get some perspective here, he still managed a couple of ropey moments. There are 4 or 5 contenders for MOTM, Terry isnt one of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Btw way Russ, just having read the other thread, I watched this match in a very calm and alcohol free atmosphere. Sure, there was a reflection on the screen that didn't overly help, but I still think Milner made a hell of a difference. Terry was good, as I said originally, fucked up once or twice, but I think the slo mo of that headed effort is getting people a little carried away.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not even considering the slo mo effort mate, I'm talking about the two challenges prior to it and the excellent challenge he got in in the 1st half as well. The slo mo header thing just underlined the guys commitment, which i've never doubted.
    I think a lot of people talk him down coz they don't like him as a person, whether that be because he's a chelsea player, a love rat, a shit mate or his parents are scallies. None of which have fuck all to do with his England games.
    How can you say there were 4-5 contenders for MOTM and he's not one? Who were they then?
    Last edited by russbeer; 23rd June 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    How the fuck could Terry be Man of the Match when Slovenia offered nothing up front? If you can answer that I'll concede the point.

Jokers.
    7 attempts on goal, no goals conceded. Several attempts thwarted before shots taken also!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pic of JT after the match....

Banned Scammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast