Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shiting myself

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shiting myself

LJ, they know you, they know your mum, they know your dad. Trust me, you wouldn't be going anywhere near that place unless you had an excellent chance anyway. Certainly that would be my thought process, and I've done best part of 50, 60 interviews over the past 6 months. But then, I also base my decision to see someone on how female they are

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds as though you're well versed with the school and the staff already. This can be a good thing in some ways, but not others.

If there's 2 tips I could give you it would be these:

1: Avoid complacency and being over familiar,
    I've lost count of the number of people I've interviewed over the years who have wrongly assumed that because they know the people involved and the job that they can give less than complete answers to the questions being asked of them. On giving them feedback when they failed, most commented that they'd assumed that the interviewers didn't need them to go into the specifics, because they knew them, their abilities and could therefore deduce what they were capable of doing.

2: Do your homework:
    Interviewers love slipping in questions like " So what do you know/understand about the business we provide? I know I like these type of questions because it quickly allows an interviewer to understand how much time an applicant has invested pre interview. The best and easiest way to do this is to have a thorough look at the school website, upcoming events/charity works etc. The Ofsted website is also useful to see where the school ranks statistically and stuff.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

all the best LJ hope things goes well!
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    Just in case you're going to use it in your CV, shiting has 2 t's (shitting).
    BTW, which school is it? A few DFers can apply and then completely fuck up the interview leaving you as a shining beacon.
    I did say I got a D in English, even the resit I did I got a D so I sort of accepted that that was my level. Unfortunately the closing date was last Friday and 3 days later I get the notice of the interview and interview on Monday they are really motoring on this one. I just got a call from my primary reference and he has been asked to provide one and answer a few questions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by the.insane View Post
    fella, just relax at the interview, be yourself, have a drink of water before you enter the interview room, if they have water on the desk at the interview room, dont touch it. Because if do decide to take a drink out of that water, the minute you put it to your mouth they will ask you an awkward question just to see you reaction and how well you recover. this will give them an indication of how well you perform under real pressure after all it is a school and you can expect some of th little scrotes to take the piss at some point.

Look the interviewer in the eye when answering a question, but dont shit them up, just show some confidence.

Budgets, schools are always after cost cutting and you can bet your life they'll ask you a question something like, how do you expect to save us money in the long run. Dont tell them how you plan on doing it, just let them know you have proven ways of cutting costs, this may keep them interested.

If it is a panel interview, then there may be a head teacher, HR, school governer, someone from the IT department to ask you questions and quite possibly someone to monitor your body language, so use some good hand gestures (not the "V" sign)

I reckon you should be ok, good luck mate
    It is a panel interview, I have a few good ways to save them money, simple stuff like I can install network cabling so far they get someone else in to do it, I have direct links with software and hardware providers so should be able to buy kit for less than they are currently buying for. I will be able to bring a lot of stuff in house if thats what they want. My ride with the head teacher the other week was very incite-full, she is very much IT is the future, the school has just implemented an onsite exchange server rather than using the local authority server, office 2010 is being rolled out over the summer holidays which I am guessing I will be a part of. Dad came home the other week saying we can have it for free under the school licence. It was when I told her what I did for a living she told me about this position and it would be advertised soon sort of as if she was saying apply for it.

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    Sounds as though you're well versed with the school and the staff already. This can be a good thing in some ways, but not others.

If there's 2 tips I could give you it would be these:

1: Avoid complacency and being over familiar,
    I've lost count of the number of people I've interviewed over the years who have wrongly assumed that because they know the people involved and the job that they can give less than complete answers to the questions being asked of them. On giving them feedback when they failed, most commented that they'd assumed that the interviewers didn't need them to go into the specifics, because they knew them, their abilities and could therefore deduce what they were capable of doing.

2: Do your homework:
    Interviewers love slipping in questions like " So what do you know/understand about the business we provide? I know I like these type of questions because it quickly allows an interviewer to understand how much time an applicant has invested pre interview. The best and easiest way to do this is to have a thorough look at the school website, upcoming events/charity works etc. The Ofsted website is also useful to see where the school ranks statistically and stuff.
    BB these are my main worries, I do know loads of the staff either from when I attended the school, through my Mum and Dad even my sister does exam invigilating there and a few of the newer staff due to the 3 peaks we did at the beginning of June were going out for a meal tonight with everyone and I even went to primary school with one of the ICT teachers. I am going to check out the ofsted stuff and use some of the info if I need to I do know the school is one of the top performing schools in the area. I don't think I will be using familiarity with the interview panel as I only know one of them who was my PE teacher and he is now assistant deputy head, back then he said he would let me do PE at GCSE but didn't think I would get anything out of it he was so happy when I gained a grade C I would like to think it was my athletic prowess but unfortunately it wasn't my in depth study of Bolton Wanderers and the effects of the Taylor report and a true interest in the theory side of it was where I was actually pretty good. But the other 2 on the panel I don't really know them other than the fact the IT manager popped up on facebook as someone I may know he got married in Vegas and I have been there a few times so something in common.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you're picking out shirts and ties think 'would a politician wear this/these?', if the answer is yes then put them back down. Light pastel coloured shirt with an inoffensive tie and shiny shoes would be my thinking.

Best of luck for it mate.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck LJ.

I'd ask for a network diagram, and PC specs etc before the interview so you can get a feel of what you might have to work with.

if there's any kind of practical test - remember, layer 1 problems first

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As you say, you only know the PE teacher: Be careful not to answer any questions just to him, what I mean is make eye contact with all of the interviewers, irrespective of who is asking the question.

I recently interviewed a Quantity Surveyor, who had experience, knowledge and a superb CV. He didn't get the job because the interview Panel was me, my boss and the contracts and procurement manager (female) and it was felt that even though she had asked some pretty in depth questions, his answers were to me or my boss and not to her. As such she felt isolated, didn't warm to him and felt that he might have an issue with a female boss. Sounds pathetic I know, but it cost him a £40k job

Thanks
    Karma Level

I hope they didn't ask you to spell the title of this thread during your interview, or you could have shit out you big shitting shitter.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I hope they didn't ask you to spell the title of this thread during your interview, or you could have shit out you big shitting shitter.
    Ah, but maybe he's using the posh pronunciation of shiting as in "to shite".

Good luck with the interview and the shiting John!
    Last edited by neo2810; 8th July 2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Sentence removed because it was woefully misconstrued....
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I have been out for a meal tonight and PE teacher was there, I wasn't going to bring it up but he did so we spoke and he told me about how things usually go and the sort of thing they are expecting and yes you guys have covered most of it above. What a shock, people on here know what they are talking about. Things like answering the person who asks you the question, don't ramble on make the points and if needed explain a little but don't go in too much detail if it isn't needed. The tour of the school is done to give an insight to what the current set up is and it means your examples and answers can be based on existing kit. Another boost was that he also mentioned there were over 60 applications for the job, I discovered from the ITC teacher I went to school with that the current person in a temporary position doing the same thing applied and didn't get an interview and that people with greater qualifications were also bypassed due to lack of experience. So plenty to look forward to and he sort of mentioned a few things to look in to the main one being the safeguarding and data protection.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    Working for a school is a nice and cushy job

Good luck mate.

I wouldnt say its cushy but a great job working in schools

If you want to listen to the radio click here http://184.154.153.178:8000/listen.pls

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here is a really good site for safeguarding. The school where I teach are really keen on the safeguarding policy and data. You will have a really good chance if you can answer questions on these 2 subjects. Only last week a temp support assistant who has been at my school for over a year applied for the permanent position and didnt get it because she didnt know all the the questions they asked her about safeguarding, and because of that it is now being re-advertised. I am also part of the IT Tech Team and also the ICT Co-ordinator, you will love the job. Just go in with confidence as I tell everybody when they are applying for a job.
    http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholesc...ildprotection/

Good Luck with your interview
    Last edited by vixen; 8th July 2010 at 01:08 AM.

If you want to listen to the radio click here http://184.154.153.178:8000/listen.pls

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Shiting is allowed in Bolton, ask LJ to say Darts, it's funny as fuck t'Bowton accent. I once worked there & this other lad I met on my 1st day was a proper Bowton lad from up Tongmoor (Tonguemore), he told me his name was Curl, I called him that for the 1st week until someone else told me he's actually called Carl, thick as shitt he was.

Oh yeah good luck LJ on t'job lad eh!

Tig3
    Last edited by tigger3; 8th July 2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: eee up

Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck m8

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

all the best with the interview mate
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    Working for a school is a nice and cushy job
    Good luck mate.
    It sure is. My busy day (Monday) is 4 hours long!!
    Good luck with the job mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    Ah, but maybe he's using the posh pronunciation of shiting as in "to shite". Although I imagine the sentence would read more like. "Gosh darling, one is shiting oneself at the prospect of having to share a room with working class citizens"...

Good luck with the interview and the shiting John!
    are you an idiot ?

just a question.....

Also is it true that you left South Africa when the Blacks got the vote ?

Cus naturally that would make you a cunt too.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    are you an idiot ?

just a question.....

Cus naturally that would make you a c*nt too.

Spooky.......
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tigger3 View Post
    Shiting is allowed in Bolton, ask LJ to say Darts, it's funny as fuck t'Bowton accent. I once worked there & this other lad I met on my 1st day was a proper Bowton lad from up Tongmoor (Tonguemore), he told me his name was Curl, I called him that for the 1st week until someone else told me he's actually called Carl, thick as shitt he was.

Oh yeah good luck LJ on t'job lad eh!

Tig3
    I used to work with a guy called Carl from up tongmoor, did he have black hair and a big nose and yes he was thick as pig shit.

And no I don't call it derts my gran used to. I do go up the sturs to bed and caught a buzz to school and I know someone called Clur.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    are you an idiot ?

just a question.....

Cus naturally that would make you a c*nt too.
    WTF?

My post was tongue in cheek Rap, didn't deserve that.... You having a bad day?
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks