Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shiting myself

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Shiting myself

Well I have been self employed for 7-8 years working from home and before that I worked from home driving all over the place doing exactly the same thing for 5 years before turn up to a site do whats needed and leave. Making a fair wedge but also spending a fair amount of it due to all the travelling but it has been comfortable.

Anyway the last 12 months I have been getting itchy feet, less and less work coming in customers not wanting to spend money more can you make them last a bit longer made a killing on memory upgrades but the constant whines from customers with the same problems PC is slow but they are never willing to spend the money needed to fix the problem.

Anyway I saw a job at the school I attended for an ICT tech and I stuck an application in. The 2nd application I have ever done and I have got an interview so I'm blown away. All my other jobs have been down to knowing people and jobs created for me. I was bricking it as I didn't meet the minimum requirements I only got a D at English GCSE so not a major thing but I thought it may have made a difference being a school.

My first proper interview, the interview panel is the head teacher who I spent 4 hours and a few days in the company of a few weeks ago when I drove her up to Fort William doing the 3 peaks she seem nice. The network manager, my old PE teacher (who also did the 3 peaks) and the HR person who I don't know. I will also have some sort of written exercise for 30 minutes. I now need to go find all my certificates for the qualifications which is a problem as I never picked my A level certificates up as I was disappointed with the results E's.

I know I haven't got the job yet, I could do it with my eyes shut, pay isn't fantastic sort of about the average of what I have earned the last 8 years due to good years and a few bad years but it will be a regular income and I will be able to go back to saving a chunk of it to replenish my house deposit fund which I have spent some on a camera and during quite work periods. I did try to get a mortgage a few years ago but self cert wasn't for me so another good reason to get back in to PAYE employment.

So any tips, I just bought a suit my first as I had never needed one till now what colour shirt with a black suit? will make sure my shoes are clean and polished. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shiting myself

Good luck mate.

hope you get it. I find in interviews most of the time the employer is just as nervous.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Working for a school is a nice and cushy job

Good luck mate.
    PS3 - FIFA 09 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    PS3 - FIFA 10 - DF CHAMPION!!!!
    and now
    PS3 - FIFA 11 - DF CHAMPION!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

With a black suit you will be fine with any shirt/tie combo.

Good luck mate..!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Go for a white shirt and a red tie, red is considered a power tie!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by matthewy2 View Post
    Working for a school is a nice and cushy job
    I know, My Mum has worked in a school since I went to nursery after having me and My Dad works at the same school as my Mum and they love it. The IT thing is more a full time thing as upgrades etc will be done during school holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    that is the only colour tie I don't posses

Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck m8
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bummer most of my ties are woven.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck fella, as the guys have said anything will be alright with the suit but might be easiest keeping it simple with a white or light blue shirt - you see a load of them in the office!

Have to admit I wear allsorts at work with the suit as I do prefer colours, not sure if you've got one near you but Suits You (http://www.suitsyou.co.uk) is where I get my stuff from - the Racing Green shirts they do are great for work and very formal.

It may not really matter in the end as I've got a few mates work in ICT and they just wear polo shirts and either jeans or chinos?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If the job suits your skills and you don't have a swastika on your forehead then just be yourself mate. You have already done the hard bit and got to the interview.

Be normal, be positive, be attentive, be confident but not cocky and it should be a breeze. Remember that your there because they wanted to see you. They're not doing you a favour this is a mutually beneficial situation. Also make sure that you have questions to ask them, and do your research, get the schools ofsted report and look into what type of smart bards they have as these will be a main area of support. Go on their website and find out if they buy support from the local authority or a 3rd party.

Finally,as for the shirt and tie, go for something neutral, and plain. My experience of governors and teachers says that they wont like a wide boy! (my wife's a teacher and ICT co-ordiantor)

Good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

One more thing, tie a windsor or half windsor knot in the tie...

There are also videos on youtube showing how to tie it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post

Is it the tie or gun that makes him look powerful????

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its the women

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do have a good knowledge of the school, I am often in there I will be there on Monday night doing the year 6 and 7 new intake meet and greet disco, I forgot to add that the school my Mum and Dad work at yeah its the same one and Dad is one of the Governors. I just hope I get a chance with everything else they may want me to prove myself a lot more

I will head to the trafford center the next few days to pick up a new shirt and tie maybe some new shoes. I only got the suit the other day as I have a wedding to go to in August.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I reckon this should be a breeze for you - as you have links already to the school, can you get any info on their setup? If you just happen to be mentioning loads of relevant/related experience in the interview....

Also re beefing up ram on old pc's - this is how I got my boss to stop getting me to do the same.

2gb of ram was costing us around £90-£110+vat.
    Dell with core i5-750 was about £450+vat.

Dell won't need win 7 upgrade round the corner - say another £100 +vat. Now there's only £250 in it (if we ignore upgrading onboard 8Mb gfx for win 7, + the inevitable faulty dvd drive on some of them), but the upgraded p4 would probably only last another year or so till it really needs to be scrapped while the dell should do about 5 years.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 7th July 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just in case you're going to use it in your CV, shiting has 2 t's (shitting).
    Seriously, good luck with the interview. I'm crap at them. Fortunately, last one I had was 10 years ago and it was to get into a golf club. My wife's fooking ace at them and always makes the interviewer feel grossly inadequate.

BTW, which school is it? A few DFers can apply and then completely fuck up the interview leaving you as a shining beacon.
    Last edited by cassy34; 7th July 2010 at 01:33 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck fella, sounds like this job was made for you

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you mum and dad anr connected with the school quiz them and see if the head has any IT hot topics or problems already and then try and bring it up in the interview. e.g. Teachers abusing internet, lack of network drive space or back up solutions. Just enough to show you know what you are doing but if possible at there technical level.

Anyhow Good Luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

fella, just relax at the interview, be yourself, have a drink of water before you enter the interview room, if they have water on the desk at the interview room, dont touch it. Because if do decide to take a drink out of that water, the minute you put it to your mouth they will ask you an awkward question just to see you reaction and how well you recover. this will give them an indication of how well you perform under real pressure after all it is a school and you can expect some of th little scrotes to take the piss at some point.

Look the interviewer in the eye when answering a question, but dont shit them up, just show some confidence.

Budgets, schools are always after cost cutting and you can bet your life they'll ask you a question something like, how do you expect to save us money in the long run. Dont tell them how you plan on doing it, just let them know you have proven ways of cutting costs, this may keep them interested.

If it is a panel interview, then there may be a head teacher, HR, school governer, someone from the IT department to ask you questions and quite possibly someone to monitor your body language, so use some good hand gestures (not the "V" sign)

I reckon you should be ok, good luck mate
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks