Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shiting myself

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Shiting myself

I wouldn't worry too much. When I got my job here I was told that they employ based on personality and how they think an applicant will fit into the team.
    I'm sure you'll be fine
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm hoping that the others seemed up their own arse and a lot older than me, one guy was even talking about how good his pension already is.

I had a missed call earlier from the school but I was speaking to adobe about a problem, when I phoned back the office was closed. I did speak to the head tonight while at the school but she didn't say anything. It was fun watching her do the cha cha slide.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LoL - I hope it's all gone well for you John. Sometimes if a candidate has a good relationship with staff that plays a big part... when I recruited our current IT Manager back in February the receptionist and mail assistant already had a good impression on him.

He eventually got the job and has fitted in well, I didn't make the ultimate decision - our CIO did that so I'm hoping perhaps the same goes for you too.

In many businesses I think people hate IT, they have what seems to many workers an easy going job, it's essential in every business and costs a lot of money - when it comes to spending millions on an ERP Implementation - they love that even more!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I didn't get the job.

I spoke to the HR person this morning and the guy who I thought would get it if I didn't did get the job. Apparently it was a 2 horse race the other 2 guys weren't even in the running and the only reason they chose the other guy was that he had previous experience working in a school and university environment. I was so close to getting it and should they need anyone in the future I will get a call.

For some reason I get the impresion that they have employed this guy as a replacement for the current network manager as that is what he has been doing at other places and has just moved to the area I wasn't that impressed with the network manager so a position may open up sooner rather than later. I would still like to work there and I have so much to offer, the IT manager gets people in to do a lot of the work which I would consider bread and butter of running a network things like cabling his new IT office and new classrooms I wouldn't be suprised if he gets somone in to install the new servers they are getting during the summer.

Not an issue anyway work has picked up this last few weeks, it always does when I start thinking about jacking it in, I have managed to convince a customer that replacing his 6 year old machines really needs to be done and he has ordered 5 new PC's which I will install in the next week or so. and a few other places are eventually coming round in the same way.

Apparently either on Monday morning while I was in there or after I'm not sure one of the more senior members of staff heard another member of staff speaking to someone asking why do we need another Entwistle at this school are they trying to take over. She wouldn't tell my Mum who it was but she wasn't very happy as the Entwistle's do a lot of stuff for the school.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to hear mate

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post

I spoke to the HR person this morning and the guy who I thought would get it if I didn't did get the job. Apparently it was a 2 horse race the other 2 guys weren't even in the running and the only reason they chose the other guy was that he had previous experience working in a school and university environment. I was so close to getting it and should they need anyone in the future I will get a call.

For some reason I get the impresion that they have employed this guy as a replacement for the current network manager as that is what he has been doing at other places and has just moved to the area I wasn't that impressed with the network manager so a position may open up sooner rather than later. I would still like to work there and I have so much to offer, the IT manager gets people in to do a lot of the work which I would consider bread and butter of running a network things like cabling his new IT office and new classrooms I wouldn't be suprised if he gets somone in to install the new servers they are getting during the summer.

Not an issue anyway work has picked up this last few weeks, it always does when I start thinking about jacking it in, I have managed to convince a customer that replacing his 6 year old machines really needs to be done and he has ordered 5 new PC's which I will install in the next week or so. and a few other places are eventually coming round in the same way.

Apparently either on Monday morning while I was in there or after I'm not sure one of the more senior members of staff heard another member of staff speaking to someone asking why do we need another Entwistle at this school are they trying to take over. She wouldn't tell my Mum who it was but she wasn't very happy as the Entwistle's do a lot of stuff for the school.
    Sorry to hear that mate, put it down to experience eh! & at least your mam got to see you all dolled up in a new whistle!

I'll stand you a pint if you fancy it, I'm in Notlob at the end of the month.

Tig3

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post

Really sorry to hear that, sounds like you did everything right and another guy had some almost impossibly perfect experience. Hopefully he'll fubar it now or need more people in the future.

If the IT Manager takes in people to do all his work, could you not be that guy as an outside contractor? It sounds like the sort of work your company does and you could probably wangle it somehow with all your contacts at the school. I think local authority contract tendering is quite complex (and often done with set deals with set companies to decrease the cost of a proper tendering process) but it must be worth a shot, since it would both solve your current work load problem and get you really well known for being as good as you are.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to hear that lj
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

TwoPlAnKs I am hoping to get something out of it, the school isn't quite local authority controlled so pulling contractors in is very easy I am very local so short notice stuff again I'm good with. I will continue to be involved in the school so they can't forget me even armed with my camera if I need to I have already provided them with quite a few photos and hope to get a call to take photos at the sports day next week. Even last week my name came up as they were trying to take a photo of a large group on the yard from the top of one of the buildings and they had to piece it together I could have done it in a single shot but never mind.

The PE teacher really pushed for me to get the job from what I hear based on my technical knowledge rather than my links with the school. The HR person I don't think even knew who I was as early on she asked if any of us had been at the school before, later on she was talking to me as if she had known me for years she has only been at the school for about 12 months. I did impress her as well and the same with the network manager and as you say TP the other guy was just too perfect on this occasion. Fortunately I'm not desperate to get a job yeah the stuff I am doing keeps me OK I would just like to be busy, I just get bored easily when I have nothing to do and lie in bed most of the day which isn't good.

Over all I am actually very positive about the whole thing and was a lot happier after I got the phone call this morning, the not knowing part was a pain in the arse. My first interview and I impressed everyone so much that they almost gave me the job. I would love to know how the hell you get experiance in somthing without being given a chance. Thankfully I didn't waste 4 years of my life at university learning how to be an IT engineer I actually went and did it.

It was funny actually about the suit, back when I was at school they did mock interviews and the guy who interviewed me was the chair of governors and said I really needed a suit or a jacket I was 15 years old ffs no need for a suit, and he was in the school in the afternoon my Mum told him I had finally bought a suit. I had managed to get to 30+ without one thank god for the hugo boss sale the other week I needed a suit for a wedding that I am attending as a guest but also doing the photos nd seeing as tom hanks can pull catherine zeta jones in a hugo boss suit I wanted one
    Last edited by Little John; 14th July 2010 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry LJ. At least you're not too down about it by the sounds of it.
    mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unlucky LJ.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Unlucky mate.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hear that mate, in a way might be a good thing in a way though as whoever made those comments regarding another member of your family being at the school would probably have tried to make life very difficult for you as it does take time to win people like that over (and sometimes you can't and they just act like cocks all the time!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unlucky mate..

sorry to hear it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

unlucky i know that shit feeling when the interview goes well but you dont get the job.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry dude, gutted for you

keep in contact with them and im sure the next job is yours
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Social Networking Bookmarks