Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News No charges over Ian Tomlinson's death during G20 demo

A police officer who was filmed pushing a man to the ground during the G20 protests will not face charges over his death.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, died after being caught up in the clashes on 1 April 2009 in the City of London.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said there was no prospect of conviction because experts could not agree on how Mr Tomlinson died.

Mr Tomlinson's son Paul King described the decision as "outrageous".

Mr Starmer said there was a "sharp disagreement between the medical experts" about the cause of death, which led to three post-mortem examinations being conducted on Mr Tomlinson.

The first post-mortem examination by Dr Freddy Patel found he died of natural causes linked to coronary artery disease.

The second pathologist, Dr Nat Carey, found he died of internal bleeding as a result of blunt force trauma, in combination with cirrhosis of the liver.

Ian Tomlinson's family and solicitor give their reaction to the decision
    The third examination agreed with the findings of the second test. It was conducted on behalf of the officer.

Mr Tomlinson, a newspaper seller who was not involved in the protests, was walking home when he was caught up in the demonstration.

The video footage showed him being apparently struck by a baton and then pushed to the ground.

He was seen moving away after the incident but was found collapsed 100 metres away in Cornhill.

Mr Starmer also said that Mr Tomlinson was bitten by a police dog shortly before the clash.

Setting out the details of the decision, Mr Starmer said: "After a thorough and careful review of the evidence, the CPS (the Crown Prosecution Service) has decided that there is no realistic prospects of a conviction against the police officer in question for any offence arising from the matter investigated and that no charges should be brought against him.

"In the face of this fundamental disagreement between the experts about the cause of Mr Tomlinson's death, the CPS embarked on a detailed and careful examination of all the medical evidence and held a series of meetings with experts in attempt to resolve, or at least narrow, the areas of disagreement.

"This inevitably took some considerable time," he added.

He added the CPS had considered assault charges but prosecutors felt that they could not prove the push substantially harmed the newspaper vendor.

A charge of common assault, which does not require proof of injury, could not be brought against the officer because there is a six-month time limit.

Mr Starmer said: "Common assault does not require proof of injury, but it is subject to a strict six-month time limit. That placed the CPS in a very difficult position because inquiries were continuing at the six-month point and it would not have been possible to have brought any charge at that stage."

The CPS also decided not to charge the officer, who remains suspended from duty, with misconduct in a public offence.

Mr Tomlinson's son Mr King said: "It's taken 16 months to get a no-charge against this officer.

"The CPS are clearly admitting the police officer assaulted our dad.

"We feel like it wasn't a full investigation from the beginning. It's been a big cover-up and they're incompetent.

"Why isn't there an assault charge? We feel very let down, very disappointed.

"We expected a charge. It clearly shows our dad being assaulted by a police officer," he added.

Mr Tomlinson's family solicitor Jules Carey said the family will consider whether they can appeal against the decision.

He said: "The CPS have accepted the conduct of the officer was unlawful.

"We now need to find out if there has been a lack of will or incompetence, and frankly there needs to be an inquiry into that."

Following Mr Tomlinson's death, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) completed their inquiry in August 2009 and handed a file of evidence to the CPS.

'Decision satisfies nobody'
    Jenny Jones, a member of the Metropolitan Police Authority, said: "It's clearly an outcome that satisfies absolutely nobody and everybody comes out of it badly.

"The reputation of the police is poor, and morale won't be very good if public perception is that the police constantly get away with crimes and are never brought to justice.

"If everybody had moved a bit faster we might have actually been in the time-frame for an assault charge to be brought," she added.

Expressing "regret" for Mr Tomlinson's family, a Metropolitan Police spokesman, said: "There will, of course, be an inquest where the facts will be heard publicly. This is important for the family of Ian Tomlinson as well as Met officers and Londoners.

"We now await the IPCC's investigation report before being able to carefully consider appropriate misconduct proceedings," he said.

Deborah Glass, from the Independent Police Complaints Commission, said the circumstances of Mr Tomlinson's death will now be "rightly scrutinised" at an inquest.

She said: "We will provide a report on the officer's conduct to the Metropolitan Police within the next few days.

"The Met will need to provide us with its proposals regarding misconduct."

Analysis

Continue reading the main story
    Dominic Casciani
    BBC News home affairs correspondent
    This situation is an exceptionally unusual outcome. Keir Starmer said Ian Tomlinson was struck with a baton and "pushed very strongly in the back by a police officer".

So why isn't PC "A" in the dock?

Juries regularly look at detailed and conflicting medical evidence and hear from the doctors involved.

In the case of Tomlinson, two pathologists - one instructed by the police and the other by his family - agreed that he died partly from internal bleeding caused by "blunt-force trauma".

But the first examination was carried out by Dr Freddy Patel, a Home Office pathologist, who says Mr Tomlinson died of a heart attack.

On paper that's two against one, and the CPS only needs a better-than-50% chance of securing a conviction to proceed.

Prosecutors would have to call Dr Patel as their witness - and nobody can remember a trial where the CPS has knowingly produced witnesses who will contradict each other.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: No charges over Ian Tomlinson's death during G20 demo

I hope there is massive demonstrations over this it's a total piss take the Police are dishonest and corrupt to a man/woman it's just the degrees of corruption and dishonesty that vary not the fact.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i find it shocking they have cleared him, his family must be so upset and pished off. they should take it further.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry state of affairs.

And the Police are usually so honest...

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am going to stick my neck out here...!!!

I am not familiar with the full circumstances so i may be wrong based on my understanding
    BUT......

What was he doing there clashing with police in the first place....?

Fair enough there are limits of acceptable force and all that but if there is a protest on that turns violent and you are on the front line, you have to accept a twatting, this is what most people think is wrong with this country. There is no respect for the police and the law.

Like is say i do not know the full details but if you are there and at the front.......

I cannot believe he was just on his way home and ended up at the front of the protests...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

you are wrong yeah. there's plenty of video evidence - easily found too.

the guy was walking HOME from WORK - when the incident happened he was walking AWAY from the police in a calm manner - the coward/bully/thug (copper) had no excuse.

any why are police hiding their identities? I though riot gear had head protection - why the need for a baliclava.
    Last edited by Possy_99; 22nd July 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is a bloody disgrace!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

like i say i am not up on the case but all i can think is that if i was walking home and stumbled on that i would be out of there in a flash.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

really..? me, seeing all the paparazzi around I would think there wasn't that much danger...
    Sent from my PC using a keyboard

Thanks
    Karma Level

what walking past the police and gets pushed 2 the ground 4 doing fuck all .this country is a fucking joke

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Possy_99 View Post
    any why are police hiding their identities? I though riot gear had head protection - why the need for a baliclava.
    Heat proof balaclava, for petrol bomb defense, stops sweat getting in your eyes and rubbing....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pathologist’s verdict on Ian Tomlinson is called into question

The pathologist who conducted the first post-mortem examination on Ian Tomlinson was today at the centre of a storm over the CPS's decision not to bring charges against the police officer who struck the newspaper vendor.

Dr Freddy Patel concluded that Mr Tomlinson, 47, died of a heart attack. Two subsequent examinations found that he died as a result of internal bleeding caused by being hit by a blunt instrument.

Today, Keir Starmer QC, the Director of Public Prosecutions, said the “sharp disagreement” between medical experts about the cause of death made it impossible to bring a prosecution for manslaughter or assault causing actual bodily harm.

Dr Patel is facing 26 disciplinary charges at the General Medical Council alleging that he conducted four autopsies incompetently.

The doctor, whose full name is Mohmed Saeed Sulema Patel, could be struck off.

It is claimed that he gave “questionable” verdicts on the causes of death in these four cases — which do not include the death of Mr Tomlinson — between September 2002 and August 2005.

One of the cases involves a post-mortem examination on a five-year-old girl. It is alleged that Dr Patel failed to conduct a full autopsy on the child — who had been abused by her stepmother — because a detective believed her death was “likely” to be an accident.

The GMC heard that the doctor failed to spot signs of violence when he examined the body of Annastacia Williams.

Source

Thanks
    Karma Level

like most of the news, the whole thing stinks to me. Yeah unreasonable force was used, but what sort of fucking idiot chooses to take a steady stroll home through a demonstration area?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    what sort of fucking idiot chooses to take a steady stroll home through a demonstration area?
    maybe i dont know, but isnt that besides the point.

if we adopt that logic would we defend anyone who gets wrongfully beaten because they attended a protest?

the fact is that the copper did something wrong, and cowardly. extreme levels of ignorance made the copper feel he could do it and get away with it.

our society stinks. smelly gets off after beating the protester holding an orange carton, these guys get off the fucking country is a joke.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For the record I've been seething about this since it happened, todays decision is a fucking disgrace!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There will be no justice for the loss of this man. I hope the family can get on by and try and carry on their lives which will be extreamly difficult

The copper should have been removed from duty the cowardly CNUT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shame the coppers got Raoul Moat before this came out - would have been quality if he took out the copper concerned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is disgusting and a farce there has been no justice at all for this man and his family

If you want to listen to the radio click here http://184.154.153.178:8000/listen.pls

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cant believe some people are saying its the guys fault for walking home that way!

All you have to do to see this is totally unfair and downright illegal is watch the footage.. then swap the two people round in your mind - make it a civilian running up behind the copper and throwing him to the ground forcefully and the copper later dying - do you think that guy would be walking free today?

It really sickens me to see justice pissed on like this the copper hasn't even lost his job over it - the police are in a position of high trust and if one of them is found to have broken the law they should be punished a lot more harshly than the average civilian not treat leniently or let off all together.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MoNkFiSh View Post
    make it a civilian running up behind the copper and throwing him to the ground forcefully and the copper later dying - do you think that guy would be walking free today?
    Make it a group of civilians detaining a copper without following any due process, then an attack by one person leading to death as you mentioned, and I bet every civilian involved would be looking at a very lengthy stretch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast