Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default England vs Hungary Squad

England squad in full for Wednesday's friendly against Hungary:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: England vs Hungary Squad

Very pleased for Gibbs and Wilshere. Wilshere is cert to be a future star

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cahill, about time.

Nothing wrong with experimenting with new talent in friendlys.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The England forward line looks piss poor to me, and imo Ben foster and Glen Johnson aren't good enough, apart from that it's a pretty decent squad.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wot, no Heskey????

Thanks
    Karma Level

So the answer to Emile Heskey is Bobby Zamora, 1 goal in 5.5 matches for Fulham. Fucking ace. Basically, this team is shit. The players who needed to be dropped haven't been - Terry, Lampard and Gerrard, over 200 caps between them, fuck all achieved, what was the point in having them there? Picking Wilshire is very premature, not even started a match for the Gunners yet and he's in the England squad? To me thats an error. Gibbs looked really good before his injury, so he is fully justified, but Wilshire? Based on half a season at Bolton? He might as well have picked Tom Cleverly from United, after all he was player of the season at Watford last term Also, why Ben Foster? He was fucking rank for United at the start of last season, surely he needs some time to prove himself at Birmingham before he should be anywhere near the England squad? And what is he learning picking Wes Brown? 31 in a couple of weeks, won't be in Brazil 2014, whats the point in picking him? A United reject and a United 2nd string player in the England team? Come on.

No, this team reaks of not having a fucking clue to me, reaks of panic and wanting to appease the public and IMO totally failing. If he wanted to make a statement and build a young team then he should have done just that, this is a half hearted measure that will get him nowhere. Sure, this team will probably win on Weds (assuming we play 4-3-3), but its so utterly meaningless now.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just heard on ssn that Paul Robinson has just Retired from International Football

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It does show a load of new players being given a chance, that is what friendlies are for isn't it? Having a few old names in there provides a little continuity and experience.

After the performance in South Africa things had to change that squad wasn't good enough, but is this one? we will find out soon. The foreign influx of players in the premier league is killing our national side.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by corskey View Post
    Wot, no Heskey????
    Retired.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wish we had a young, fast and agile striker like Aguero or Hernandez. England are so shit I want to cry.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant see the point of this friendly a few days before the start of the season.

Seriously does anyone expect Rooney, Terry and Lampard to even play?

Obviously I am biased, but Wilshire had a very good Emirates Cup and looks a stronger and more confident player already, than last season so it would be good for him to get a run out, as I cant see him playing much for Arsenal this season.

Would like to see Jagielka and Adam Johnson (who I think should have both gone to World Cup) play too.

Completely agree ref Ben Foster and Wes Brown though - whats the point if we are looking to go forward?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tigro View Post
    Retired.
    He knows. That was the reason for the smilies!

I don't think Rooney should have even been considered for a call up, even if it is a friendly, and even if he doesn't play. He was diabolical in SA and needs to be playing 100% for Mufc before even having the cheek to look at the team.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wes Brown has retired tonight too from International duty, so he's out. Only need Gerrard, Lampard and Terry to follow suit now....

On another note, I was at Wembley today and Scholes ruled the Midfield, top class. I read last week he regrets not saying yes to coming out of retirement for the WC. He'd do a much better job than Larmpard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Wes Brown has retired tonight too from International duty, so he's out. Only need Gerrard, Lampard and Terry to follow suit now....
    Do you seriously think that Lampard, Gerrard and Terry retiring from internationals would be a good thing? Because if you do, its total bollocks.

and why aren't you including Rooney in your judgement?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rooney is 24... Gerrard is 30, Lampard is 32 and Terry is nearly 30. Really though, what have Lampard and Gerrard done at International level? They just cannot play together, its been shown time and time again. I guess i'm being a bit harsh on Terry though as there isn't many better than him at CB.

I still think we should start from scratch, bring in a load of younger players and build a team from there. Okay there isn't much English talent out there, but the German's have done it and look how good they were for most part of the WC (average age of 24-25 compared to our 29-30)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with danny, at times our team looked like they'd never seen each other play in their whole life with long balls being hit forward left right and center in the world cup which was pointless because 90% of the time we lost the ball from them. We need a team that will work together properly and i cant that coming from the team we have now because they are to inconsistent when they play together.
    To be honest the england team that played that world cup reminded me a lot of what happened with newcastle when they got relegated, they had the team to be a lot higher than they were but when it came to it the team just couldnt play together properly at the time.
    Bang Bang,
    you just dropped dead

Thanks
    Karma Level

If Wiltshire and Gibbs are in then so should Rodwell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, there's only a couple of cunts left in there that should be dropped...

Will see how they play before passing judgement on the new kids on the block. Without a doubt they play well for club, but for country?

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I reckon I might be in the minority here but I still think Lamps, Gerrard and even Beckham have a lot more to offer the midfield. Midfield isn't our problem really. We do need the youngsters playing together more and gelling as a team.

Our ideas on who should be in the team are based on Premiership form but as has been shown, it doesn't always carry over much to the international game.

Sometimes, especially for friendlies, I've thought we should pick some players who have expressed a real desire to pull on the shirt for the country, even if they are not in the best form for their club team. For some of our lads, the prestige of playing for their country is still the highest point of their career in the game and they would perform to their very best as a matter of pride. I think Beckham does this, as does Terry, and Gerrard and Rooney to an extent (although not as much in the last year or so) but unfortunately from our "1st choice" eleven, they are the only 4.

I think some of our younger lads, Adam Johnson, Gabe Agbonlahor, Phil Jagielka, etc. would be hungrier for the shirt than the majority of our current team. Walcott always looks proud in his shirt too, and should get more games i think.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lampard and Gerrard have nothing to offer, as they've proven 150 times between them. Beckham - again whats the point? At best he can only be a bit part player in 2012 as he would be 37, and to be honest, I'm not even remotely concerned with 2012 but more 2014. Thing is, if we get a really good batch of kids together now - and they ARE out there, even if it is unproven talent like Wilshire and Cleverly - a squad of 30 kids who get together for these internationals, they could play in Euro 2012, they could play in the olympics, all good squad building experience in aim for Brazil 2014, and then the ultimate prize, as they hit their late 20's and early 30's, England 2018 (maybe LOL!). Some kids will fall by the wayside, some kids will blossom late and come in, but its about building that mentality of knowing each others play, knowing each other as people, strengths, weaknesses etc, and finding the best XI for any one day. Yes, I too would keep Rooney in the squad because he's only 24 and undoubtedly the best striking talent we have, but for me he is the only one of the "foursome" that would remain at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast