Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Tripods - TOO many

Need a tripod for my Cannon 50D, it is primarily for wedding photos (our wedding soon). I would be keen to also double it up and be able for it to be portable so i can also take it along on our holiday afterwards, however, this is not essential.

I never thought there woudl be so much choice for a tripod.

As i have never had one in all the years I have taken photos i dont give them much thought.

Price is an issue, but not a dfining factor. Considering i am seeing them range from 15 - 200+ i am lost. I did see one 47cm - 1.6m, 2kg weight (camera) 960grams (thats near a kilo yes?) in tripod weight. But i was shocked at the 64 price tag.

Can anyone give me any pointers? It will only be used for the typical family photo's, not all day/night long.

Cheers,,,,,Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tripods - TOO many

Manfrotto all the way.

Here's a carbon fibre one (so it's very light and ideal for carrying) with a 484RC2 Mini Ball head (which on this model apparantly can't be removed) for £124 (Offer price) and free delivery. It's 1.28Kg with the head fitted.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~man~Manfrotto~productID~8698~categoryid~158.html

The £124 price tag is very decent and I purchased my Manfrotto Tripod from Morris Photographic so can vouch for them.

There are also other models of course with varying price tags. If you're not bothered about changing heads, this one should be fine. However if you wish to be able to change heads, there are others out there. Being honest, I don't think you can go wrong with any Manfrotto.

You have a 50D so put it on a nice tripod

Last edited by dpSparhawk; 10th August 2010 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Manfrotto are one of the top brands, but they are very expensive and if you only intend to use it a few times, the price may be hard to swallow. However, if you want soemthing light and strong, you will want a carbon fibre tripod, which is never going to come cheap.

I bought an alu one when I was shooting a wedding, quite old, a bit heavy but rock solid but I certainly wouldn't want to travel with it. Weigh up exactly what you will be using the tripod, if its going to get regular use, its worth splashing out a little more than you expected. Mine however, has been sat in a corner the best part of the last 2 years.

As with most bits of kit, goto a large camera shop and fondle a few different ones, stats and sizes in print dont really reflect real world use.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I decided I was only going to buy once and wanted light weight and compact just in case I wanted to shoot landscapes a trek away. I bought a manfrotto 055 cxpro4 and an mg460 head. I went for height as occasionally I have stood on a hill side with the tripod down the hill and ended up stooping down to shoot (a borrowed tripod) and it wrecks your back after a bit. I have been a little disappointed with the head takes a bit to get in the right position once locked it stays put but unless you tighten the head it will drop down slightly when you release it. I would buy a geared head if I was buying another but they are expensive. I have a manfrotto 848RC ball head also and it is pretty good but I like to be able to alter each axis separately.

A tripod does only get occasional use, I have taken mine everywhere and only used it 6 or 7 times but I'm so happy I didn't buy a heavy one.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

The redsnapper models are quite good. You can get a discount if you are a member over on TP.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Blimie Flippin. Well, i guess as it is for the wedding i might try and splash out, but despite the logical sell, it is a bit steep. Need the next 24hrs to think it over. Other than that, i guess, with in reason, as said, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the tips, links and pointers.
    Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you know you're going to be shooting indoors all the time and people aren't going to be knocking the tripod then you could easily buy a Hama Star Tripod. They start off really cheap and go up in price so you would be able to get one well under £100. It might be adequate for what you want. If you're considering using a cheaper one outside then you're going to need something that is a bit more sturdy in a light breeze.

I'd invest in the Manfrotto or Rednsnapper though.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 12th August 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought Hama Star 63 Tripod £15.99 Delivered, can't go wrong at that price. I recommend it.
    İlubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i got one of the red snapper ones when they were on offer a while ago. really nice to use (when i actually get my arse out of the house and use it!)