Close

Thread: The Expendables

Thanks
    Karma Level

Film The Expendables

Well I just got in from the cinema and seeing this after having looked forward to it for ages after first hearing about it - so was I disappointed?

Not in the slightest!

This film kicked ass - it's old school forget about the plot and just blow shit up and it was great fun! The kills - and there are a lot of them - are proper gory at times with blood flying everywhere! Reminded me at times of that scene out of Predator where it rips the hole straight through the marine - except this time there are bits flying everywhere!

It's proper tongue in cheek at times like when they rip the piss out of Arnold wanting to be the next president and the film doesn't take it self seriously at all - but why should it?

If you want a proper action movie then this is for you - not sure what the birds will make of it though - mine didn't really like it but like I told her it's a film for us men
    Last edited by bobo06; 20th August 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: tagg added

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Expendables

I watched it last night also and totally agree it belongs to an era of blood and gore action movies that has long since disappeared. No really plot, lots of of guns and no sex just good old male back slapping with lots of testosterone.

I though I'd seen the last of Sly after his farewell Rockie & Rambo films.

Can't help thinking that the idea for the film came about when Sly bumped into the others at the local Hollywood electric mobility scooter shop and got talking about the good old times.

Finding cameo rolls for those too old to participate was genus (Rourke & Schwarzenegger)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pretty crap to be honest.

They're all too old and the plot was a bit crap. Stalone should have stuck to directing it, not acting in it too.
    Imagine a riot at the British Legion on a Tuesday morning and that pretty much sums it up. Statham bought the average age down to about 55, which for an action film is pretty bad. None of them can act, but if your looking for an easy film to watch with loads of explosions then I guess this is it.

If they had made this at least 10 years ago it might have been a better film. But I guess not having Steven Segal in the cast scored a few extra points.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not a great film but thoroughly enjoyable, if you liked Rambo 4 you will like this. Storyline was very basic but lets be honest, this film was purely produced for action with an unbelievable cast.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went with my mates to see this a couple of nights ago Im a big fan of action movies especially Stallone and Bruce willis etc.. But...

Got to say it was pretty crap the action wasnt that good u struggled to see what was going on and even the explosions and stuff were shit u could tell that the palace place that exploded was just a miniture model and the guy getting shot in half at the start on the somali boat looked totally done by cgi, we all came out totally dissapointed with it all those big stars and they did nothing with most of them I know they are saying its a homage to the 80`s action flick but 80`s action flicks like first blood and rambo were waaaaay better than this- this is just a quickly chucked together film to make a few big names some big bucks for very little work.

just noticed the DVDScreener of this is available to download now - which makes me even more gutted I wasted my money on it at the cinema!
    Last edited by MoNkFiSh; 28th August 2010 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just watched this film, totally kick ass, forget crap acting, crap plots and ugly birds. If you want action and gore without any soppy bits, this is the film for you. Not as good as rambo 4 or die hard 4.0, but well up there.
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Watched this last night and wasn't that impressed. It reminded me of the latest Rambo movie, lots a blood and gore and not much of a script.

Arnie and Bruce willis must be in it for all of 2 minutes each.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing new to add here, thin plot, lots of guns, gore and violence. Great 80's style actioner. I wouldn't want to watch films like this every week, but its great to see lots of shit get blown up for no particular reason once in a while.

It was an ego trip for Stallone I think. I remember having conversations years ago about who you would have cast in the ultimate action movie, and from the past 20 years, I'd say most of the cast here would be in mine.

Anyone else notice Arnie and Bruce Willis don't get a mention in the credits too?

Thanks
    Karma Level

great action just really poor storyline

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unwatchable garbage. Shit acting, shit story, shit lines, shit idea but it was mainly shit for the action. It was crap, boring and unimaginative. They even made Jet Li's fight scene shit. Utter, utter, utter shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Top top film great lines great action cant wait for number 2 hope they can get Seagal and jcvd next time

Thanks
    Karma Level

You're insane.

Thanks
    Karma Level

With stomach churning cheesy clichés & a plot-less plot, this has got to be the worst film I've watched in years. It's an absolute insult to the action movies of the '80's.
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shit Re: The Expendables

Most people are all too easily satisfied by a bit of mindless action these days, and that's essentialy all the film was. The plot was terrible and there was nothing good to be said for the direction or editing of the film either.

I couldn't understand why most of my friends seemed to enjoy it so much, it just seemed tedious to me and I couldn't wait for it to end.

Terrible film.
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm amazed at how lame this was. There was no plot whatsoever, and I didn't have a clue who any of the characters were.

A few decent fight scenes...but even they weren't all that good.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I watched this last night, infact "watched" is a bit strong, I was subjected to this last night. I gave up after about an hour, it's frikin dreadful.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the one liners were cringeworthy, the action geriatric and the plot non existent babble but it did remind me of the good old 80's crap i used to so love watching.

It took me back as a kid washing my aunties car so i could go up to the local video shop and spend £3 on videos, i must have watched every single video in that shop.

Overall 6/10

its a nice popcorn movie but one i would not want to watch over and over again
    Last edited by bobo06; 17th October 2010 at 08:37 PM.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Generous 1 as well.

watched this last night the acting was shit the action was terrible to the extent that you could barley tell what was going on.

i dont know why sly even bothered to have a role he has 1 fight gets his arse kicked in a poor fight with stone cold which was even worse when stone cold decided to do a dive 10m across the room to take sly out.

story was probably wrote by a 10 year old. the team get given a mission then decide its not worth it until sly decides he should rescue the girl... YAWN

i ended up turning it off after they blew up the chopper as i didnt care how it ended