Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MCDST cert is it worth it

Thanks for all the advice lads lots to think about. Thanks copey for the link to binsearch didnt think of checking on there.
    [live=blue1878]blue1878[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

once you decide on your course, amazon do the books cheaper than most places if you wanted to read up on it as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by copey123 View Post
    After looking through these posts, what I can see is that, yes, the qualifications do help..... but on top of this, at least 90% of it is your personality and experience.

I started off with only a couple of A-Levels and an interest in Computing. I went to Uni, fucked about for 5 years and got away with only a HND when I should have got a degree, but the lifestyle was too much.
    I'm in a similar boat - spent 6 years not getting a degree. After that I taught messed around for a bit, then taught myself autocad from a 10 year old old city and guilds course text book. Then a door was opened for me, I contracted for 6 month, then got another 6 month contract. Then the credit crunch started and I thought best to hide this out in a permanent role - found a construction firm that wanted someone with cad and it skills to help out the head of it/cad. I didn't realise they were actually after an admin/cad person - my boss subs out all the it work keeping himself apparently busy doing our admin and doing other people's stuff like making presentations.

I was appaled at how bad our it systems were so kicked up a big fuss about contructive dismissal if they wanted to make me an admin guy, then worked solid trying to get stuff sorted (typical 50-60hr weeks). Finally actually getting somewhere in terms of getting our problems sorted, by which time I've had two raises taking me 50% over my original salary while the rest of the company had no raises due to recession. Now a typical day could be answering user queries, planning a new office or setting one up (typically either open or close a site office once a month), making site visits to resolve issues or set up new kit, back at head office reimaging pc's or even creating the images, setting up (and twice even building) new servers, keeping an eye on our comms for maximum uptime, could be pretty much anything.

My boss told me he interviewed people who on paper were better qualified than me, but were lacking people skills - in my firm a quiet geeky it guy would get eaten up alive by our builders but I get even less shit than my boss as people know I will happily throw double back at them.

There have been a couple of periods where I have thought about going elsewhere, but it seems like I have no chance of a similar role without having some or all of mcse/msca/mcitp/ccna as all the jobs I've been looking at seem to have them as prerequisites, and even then I would have to be looking at something more like my original starting salary.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 30th August 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,

been trying to get hold of this course...anyone help out, i dont have newsgroup access

thnx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12