Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Guttering, downpipes

The rear corner of my guttering overflows, sent my lad up but he can't get it any higher, the downpipe is the other side and between next doors, my lad said it was dry at the downpipe but the rear guttering was nearly full, so I think the downpipe needs lowering, problem is it's hard to get to and would need us to go on next doors car port, but that is old and would probably break.
    Now what I'm thinking is at the rear where it leaks there is the big pipe that goes from the toilet and up past the guttering, (I'm thinking this is for ventilation?), could I put a join in the guttering and this pipe so the rain water goes down that pipe?

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Guttering, downpipes

the pipe that sticks up is the foul vent.
    you could arguably tap into it, but you run the risk of the sewer overflowing not only you, but anyone else above you on the run if it's taking rainwater too. especially in a prolonged downpour
    Depends on how good the sewer systems are really and where your roofwater goes (might already tap into the sewer anyway)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cant u just put on a downspout at that end?
    or can u raise that side up any more.
    tbh i would not run rain water into ur soil pipe, it could lead to all sorts or problems depending on its layout
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

It would only take the water from the rear of my house, It would be hard to run a downpie as it would have to cross the 3 pipes from the bathroom, then what would I do when it's at the bottom?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the gutters need raising at the corner or lowering at the down spout and sounds like your not happy enough to have a go yourself. think best option would be to pay someone to do it. wont cost that much and it would be better to do this option than to risk overstretching with ladders that cant reach. end result could be that you save a few quid but someone falls off the ladder or goes through the neighbours car port. both of these will hurt

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well it seems to have worked ok, I didn't do what I intended but similar, well I didn't do anything as I sent my lad up to do it
    I wanted to buy and fit a downpipe but my son said why not just fit a small pipe in and see how it goes, so as we had some small bore pipe (about 2") I said ok give it a go, so he cut a 2" hole in the guttering and vent pipe, fitted about a 8" long pipe in, leaving it sticking halfway up the guttering, sealed it in with hot glue then silicon sealer, so if we have rain that fills the guttering half way the normal downpipe should work, if we have heavy rain and the corner goes higher than half way then the down pipe will take over
    Been like it a few weeks now and not overflowed,

So if you want your guttering doing........don't call us

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by riget View Post
    Well it seems to have worked ok, I didn't do what I intended but similar, well I didn't do anything as I sent my lad up to do it
    I wanted to buy and fit a downpipe but my son said why not just fit a small pipe in and see how it goes, so as we had some small bore pipe (about 2") I said ok give it a go, so he cut a 2" hole in the guttering and vent pipe, fitted about a 8" long pipe in, leaving it sticking halfway up the guttering, sealed it in with hot glue then silicon sealer, so if we have rain that fills the guttering half way the normal downpipe should work, if we have heavy rain and the corner goes higher than half way then the down pipe will take over

Does that not just piss the water down onto the ground below? Like exactly what it did when it overflowed?

I admire the ingenuity and it's exactly the sort of thing I would do but if it is just putting the water onto the ground it seems a bit.... pointless?

Maybe I've just got the wrong end of the stick
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    Does that not just piss the water down onto the ground below? Like exactly what it did when it overflowed?

I admire the ingenuity and it's exactly the sort of thing I would do but if it is just putting the water onto the ground it seems a bit.... pointless?

Maybe I've just got the wrong end of the stick
    yeh maybe you should read the thread again,
    or add thick as...short...... to your name
    the pipe we added connected the guttering to the vent pipe(sewer)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck me....are you Heath Robinson??
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeh maybe you should read the thread again,
    or add thick as...short...... to your name
    the pipe we added connected the guttering to the vent pipe(sewer)
    Fair point, your post does say you cut a hole in both pipes. Didn't notice that.

Sounds like an ideal solution to me, I actually thought gutter pipes just go into sewers anyway so I've learned something in this thread. Possibly handy to know some day
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

same here, I don't know if the gutter water goes in the sewer or not, well I know some of it does now