Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Couple of really basic PS3 questions

Hi folks, just got a couple of really basic PS3 questions for you before I pick one up - I've had a quick look on Google but am getting conflicting responses so thought I'd ask you lot:

1) HDD size - do both the fat and the slim PS3's only take a 2.5" disk which is up to 9.5mm high? Just wondered as see there are larger than 640GB capacities available such as the 1TB / 750GB WD Caviar Blue but it's slightly higher at 12.5mm?

2) Filesystem - what do they actually use? I'm seeing loads of people saying it uses FAT32 but then other references to SPUFS? I'm guessing it's got to be SPUFS (or whatever the real name is) if it's supporting larger than 4GB files?

Actually just thought of a third

3) Do they use standard SATA connections inside or do the disks sit in a caddy with a proprietary interface? If so I'm guessing you could use a SATA extension cable and plug in a 1TB drive to that externally?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Couple of really basic PS3 questions

the fat and the slim both take the same drives size sata drives. and they both sis in a caddy. their are larger then 640Gb available but that is the recommended maximum size. the drive also needs to run at 7200rpm for best results. I'm not to sure on file format

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always used FAT32 with no problem

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_h88 View Post
    the drive also needs to run at 7200rpm for best results
    There have been problems with some 7200rpm drives overheating - best to stick to 5400
    Last edited by prezzy; 2nd September 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    There have been problems with some 7200rpm drives overheating - best to stick to 5400
    Yup - to be honest the difference in speed will be negligable for consoles. If you were putting the hard drive in a PC then it would be different but consoles don't have to read hundreds of small files generally.

Stick with a 5400. Cheaper, less likely to break and will not get as hot.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, I think a trip a Morrisons is in order now to go and pick one up

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The SPU file system was only used on the PS3 when mounting the no longer available Linux OS.

The Hard Drives ARE formatted to FAT32 by the unit itself.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK I've just been and got one, not a single Morrison's around here had any at £200 left which was a shame, but did manage to pick up a 250GB with Modnation Racers or something for £240 which will do for now - time to take a look at it!

Didn't want to wait for the new one to come out just in case it's had the vulnerability used fixed out of the box.
    Last edited by reverend; 2nd September 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK I'm still confused around the filesystem of the internal drives - the reports are saying that when using the internal drive in a PS3 you can store files larger than 4GB - which means it's not standard FAT32?

I'm going to pick up a SATA caddy so I can check it out tomorrow but it will be interesting to see how exactly this is working when I've given the backup manager a go

Reason I'm asking all of this is because I'm just wondering whether to stick with the standard 250GB drive, and then if it's easily readable from a PC or Mac I can then archive stuff off onto a much larger NTFS / HFS+ / EXT3 drive from where I can transfer it back if I ever want to use it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    OK I'm still confused around the filesystem of the internal drives - the reports are saying that when using the internal drive in a PS3 you can store files larger than 4GB - which means it's not standard FAT32?

I'm going to pick up a SATA caddy so I can check it out tomorrow but it will be interesting to see how exactly this is working when I've given the backup manager a go
    No need to be confused here. Internal drive is Sony's own proprietry format. External drives must be FAT32.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah mega thanks fella, that's what I was after

So in the interim is there a file manager to get the larger than 4GB files off the internal drive?

Or do you think that as we can now run unsigned code it'll be like the old XBox days where something running a basic FTP server will allow us to pull data off the internal disk?

Have to admit I never bothered hacking my 360 but this has got my attention now

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Reason I'm asking all of this is because I'm just wondering whether to stick with the standard 250GB drive, and then if it's easily readable from a PC or Mac I can then archive stuff off onto a much larger NTFS / HFS+ / EXT3 drive from where I can transfer it back if I ever want to use it

Your PC will not recognise the file format and want to format it. You don't need to archive it in it's present state as it is stock. If you put a larger drive in then the PS3 will format it to stock settings like you have now. If you d'load any PSN games they can be re d'loaded anytime you like on any PS3 as long as you use your PSN sign in.
    Any Game saves can be transferred to a USB drive to transfer to another drive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah sorry fella I might not have explained myself - I was thinking say I've backed up original disks with files larger than 4GB onto the internal disk with the proprietary Sony filesystem, would I be able to copy those onto other storage instead of having to rerip everytime I used them

Maybe something will come along for something like Fuse that can make life a bit easier - I'll have to unbox this lot and have a play around to get familar with it as to date I've never seen a PS3 at all!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah sorry fella I might not have explained myself - I was thinking say I've backed up original disks with files larger than 4GB onto the internal disk with the proprietary Sony filesystem, would I be able to copy those onto other storage instead of having to rerip everytime I used them
    Only time will tell but I would say that it is very highly likely !