Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need some advice so lost :(

Hi guys but new here and in a bit of a bind not too sure what to do.

So my GSXR 400 Has been standing for a while after some nut job pulled out in front of me a few years back then drove off !

Decided to get it all fixed up got insurance sent it to the shop to get it all sorted.

Sunk a little over 750 in to it to fix it plus insurance tax etc ( i know possibly stupid but just wanted her back up and running)

Full M.O.T, Service the stinger was the labour (8hours @ 40 quid :’()because the carbs had to be completely stripped and rebuilt plus parts etc and needed a new casing and bought new wing mirrors.

So after a month in the shop me going back and forth for aaages all the tears etc and the happiness of the few hours I got riding there’s still problems!!!

Some electrical fault that they can’t figure out apparently it’s likely to be the cdi unit and not all cylinders fire up at times.
    It still rides but the choke has to be on and the idle is up ridiculously high! Not safe riding scariest thing ever driving it back from the shop

I had to stop there didn’t think it was worth sinking any more money in to it.

Now I am stumped what to do! Should I sell after sticking so much in to it do I plough on?
    I do also have an aprillia sr50 moped in my back garden so im thinking sell up both and get another bike........ any ideas?

L

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need some advice so lost :(

money pit springs to mind...

bikes are cheap as chips on ebay at the moment, i just got a kawasaki ZR-7S on an 04 plate with a years mot for 1250 and the guy did a 180mile round trip to deliver it to me..

time to move on i think.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Field, can of petrol & match springs to mind. But if your like me you'd never be able to do it. I struggle selling my bikes, i just get too attached to them. Really should sell my bike now (or get a nice trail bike) gunna be a dad soon and a few of my mates where out last week and whitnessed and tried to ressucitate an 18 year old lad strangely enough on a gsxr 400 who hit a volvo head on at about 100mph.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Phantom View Post
    the carbs had to be completely stripped and rebuilt plus parts etc

It still rides but the choke has to be on and the idle is up ridiculously high! Not safe riding scariest thing ever driving it back from the shop

........ any ideas?

L
    yeah, take it back to the shop and tell them to rebuild the carbs properly!!

once that has been done, check the ignition coils - they had a habit of failing intermittently on the gixxer 4's (i use a laser thermometer on the downpipe to see which ones are coolest and that tells me which cylinders are not firing properly)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe i should bring it to you trigger! Well i not sure i want to go back with them since ive already given them quite a bit of money.
    Any ideas of where i could get rid of the bike? guessin ebay.
    Hmm that 18yr old on that gixxer scares me i wanna get rid of it now but i am very attached too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon_Phantom View Post
    Well i not sure i want to go back with them since ive already given them quite a bit of money.
    and they haven't completed the work you paid for by the sounds of it - you shouldn't have to pay any more - talk to them, tell them that you are not happy with the work carried out and you want the carbs setting up properly - as you paid for that and it seems that they haven't done it.

if you are in the north london/herts area - i can give you the number of a very reliable and trustworthy shop

Thanks
    Karma Level

for my opinion, im a two stroke "expert" and one has done my head in by "pinking". struggled like mad and have eventually found the fault being a air leak.

my point being that no matter what your expertise, you wont nail it.
    if i had sent mine to a shop the amount of time ive spent is well into the thousands.
    now i know its a full engine rebuild, which i can do but that alone would be 500 plus.

what i would suggest is a forum maybe with someone who loves doing stuff like this.
    if not you can be looking at alot of money chasing nothing.

goodluck!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

j80 you may be right cos its getting worse!

MORE bad news though
    So i took it out for a bit of a ride it broke down had to be towed back home
    ON TOP OF THAT The right fork seal must have gone cos its leaking!
    So for some reason the ignition fuse keeps blowing and it seems like it something to do with the indicator/ indicator relay its really weird im baffeled!
    I did notice that while riding when i switched on the lights all my dials would go nuts! So now i just need to find the electrical fault but no idea how to start!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Id agree with getting shut of it.

Plenty out there at the moment, and approaching winter dealers want to shift stock before the market slows down, so will usually start to lower their prices with a little haggling- if yours works enough to ride up to the dealership go for a part ex and then you dont lose so much - otherwise its an ebay sale with a description of the current problems - people usually cough up a fair amount though even for repair bikes.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i'd go along with tigger on this one especially to do with the coils
    a friend of mine had the same problem which turned out to be the one of the coils
    once it was changed it ran fine

oh another story you don't want to hear about a gsxr 400
    when the bike mentioned above was sorted it was sold, the lad who bought it killed himself the same day
    in his wisdom he decided to chance red lights and met a vehicle going accross the junction they recon he was doing a good 80/90 mph when he hit the other vehicle

you can imagine how bad my mate felt after selling it to him a matter of hours before he met his fate

Thanks
    Karma Level

It sounds like a real nightmare of an electical problem, fuse blowing all the time, not firing right, sure you aint got a dodgy wiring loom, lets face it suzuki tend to let the YTS trainee do all the soldering. Time to get shot, I had to with a gsxr I owned, it had the wiring from hell, could never get to the bottom of it, so flogged it. Bandit, still going strong, reliable as ever, simple as can be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Coils can be tested easily if you knw what your doing mate, definately sounds like a carburration problem to me, if its been stood for as long as you said there will be serious problems with standing fuel that was in the carbs, they kind of glaze over and the fuel sort of etches itself to the carb ally. I used to race a couple of RRSP's and when I bought a second hand set of carbs of a guy once they were the same, and I dont carre what they said at the bike shop but the only sure fire way to get them carbs properly cleaned is via Ultrasound. There is a guy near me called NRP check him out think theres a website,he offers ultrasound cleaning and rebuild kits at cheap prices.
    One other thing from memory was check the offending cylinders valve springs, inlet springs were dead common for cracking on these bike, I used to check and replace mine every 4th or 5th meeting just to be sure. Also ask the bike shop did they definately change all 4 Orings in the carbs for sure as they were a major cause of probs too on earlier models with the mikuinis on.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Roght so ive got some time now gonna get cracking on the bike soon.
    Gonna check out the coils. And i have NO idea what im doing but willing to learn!
    So i gues soon here goes nothing

Thanks
    Karma Level

check your rubbers that attach the carbs to the head,sometimes they split,don't gsx's have a lot of rectifier problems,had a problem on my zx9 were it kept blowing fuses everytime you turned it on,tracked it down to a problem with the Meta alarm,removed tha alarm and all was ok...
    Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and get something new mate.