Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Are these flight 'search engines' the best there is as they all seem to be clones of each other and giving me tasters of cheap flights. I'm looking to goto North Carolina in October with my ma and pa and a few times I've seen a cheap flight and so I check the other day I'm able to fly out on but when I go back the cheap one is flipping gone (its been literally minutes). That's happened quite a few times and its gone before I can ok it with the parents.

    Are there any hidden gems you guys might know of ?.

  2. #2
    DF VIP Member gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,883
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked:        35
    Karma Level
    1092

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    I generally always use travel supermarket or netflights.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  3. #3
    DF PwNagE GTI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    7,718
    Thanks
    1,579
    Thanked:        2,241
    Karma Level
    1180

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    I'm a huge fan of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] due to the flexibility it offers and the monthly price view. You can also set price alerts so you get an instant email the moment your flights (at whatever price you specify) become available. I managed to bag bargain basement NY flights with American Airlines this way, simply because the airline decided to have a 24 hour special promotion which Kayak picked up on (and I didn't since I'm not on their mailing list).

  4. #4
    DF Founder Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    95,447
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked:        1,897
    Karma Level
    5644

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    yep - kayak I use a lot

  5. #5
    DF Jedi Kushty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    1,808
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked:        25
    Karma Level
    293

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    So GTI how cheap did you get it if you don't mind me asking? And Mug how much were the flights you missed out on?

  6. #6
    DF VIP Member gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,883
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked:        35
    Karma Level
    1092

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Thanks for the Kayak, was not aware and can see this being very useful.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  7. #7
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    388

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I'm a huge fan of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] due to the flexibility it offers and the monthly price view. You can also set price alerts so you get an instant email the moment your flights (at whatever price you specify) become available. I managed to bag bargain basement NY flights with American Airlines this way, simply because the airline decided to have a 24 hour special promotion which Kayak picked up on (and I didn't since I'm not on their mailing list).
    How much did you get them if you don't mind me asking please mate?

  8. #8
    DF PwNagE GTI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    7,718
    Thanks
    1,579
    Thanked:        2,241
    Karma Level
    1180

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    How much did you get them if you don't mind me asking please mate?
    These were flights from Zurich mate
    However doing a quick search now for you chaps shows a LON > NYC return for £280 leaving on the 16th Sept.... which is cheap bearing in mind that the pound is rock bottom at the moment (worth $1.50 from a high of $2.00)
    Last edited by GTI; 4th September 2010 at 12:24 AM.

  9. #9
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    388

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Haha bugger never thought of that! Just wondering what would be a good ballpark to set it to alert me at as I've never booked flights to NY - would you say 3-400 is a good figure from the UK?

  10. #10
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    388

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    However doing a quick search now for you chaps shows a LON > NYC return for £280 leaving on the 16th Sept.... which is cheap bearing in mind that the pound is rock bottom at the moment (worth $1.50 from a high of $2.00)
    That's mega! I'm off work at the minute so can't do anything like that (otherwise they'd kill me) but when I'm back I'll definitely be looking into it thank-you

  11. #11
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushty View Post
    So GTI how cheap did you get it if you don't mind me asking? And Mug how much were the flights you missed out on?
    They were £333 but now have jumped up to around £430. I'm defo gonna check that kayak site out

  12. #12
    DF PlaYa lukese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    651
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked:        4
    Karma Level
    280

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    ive been to ny twice and never paid more than 230 for flights, they seem stupidly dear at the minute! nice site though

  13. #13
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    I think I'm gonna for a flight with United Airlines. It's £461 so a tad more expensive than the others but is on a Boeing 777-200 so a newish jet and you get your own headrest TV.

    Most of the others are on 767-400's which have overhead TV's

  14. #14
    DF Jedi Cooleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked:        22
    Karma Level
    262

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mug View Post
    I think I'm gonna for a flight with United Airlines. It's £461 so a tad more expensive than the others but is on a Boeing 777-200 so a newish jet and you get your own headrest TV.

    Most of the others are on 767-400's which have overhead TV's
    777-200 launching in may of 1995 which could still have overhead TV's whilst the 767-400ER which launched in 1997, so the 767 would have been newer, but infact that will be hard due to the fact United only operates 767-300's which launched in 1978! But the 767-300 all have seat back TV's on international routes as do the 777-200's. So it's neither here nor there.

  15. #15
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
    777-200 launching in may of 1995 which could still have overhead TV's whilst the 767-400ER which launched in 1997, so the 767 would have been newer, but infact that will be hard due to the fact United only operates 767-300's which launched in 1978! But the 767-300 all have seat back TV's on international routes as do the 777-200's. So it's neither here nor there.
    Aslong as I get my own screen I'm happy

  16. #16
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
    777-200 launching in may of 1995 which could still have overhead TV's whilst the 767-400ER which launched in 1997, so the 767 would have been newer, but infact that will be hard due to the fact United only operates 767-300's which launched in 1978! But the 767-300 all have seat back TV's on international routes as do the 777-200's. So it's neither here nor there.
    I'm assuming you know about United Airlines because of the above post. I just checked and they have EmPower® DC outlets, do you know what they are and if you can plug in a normal charger into them ?.

    p.s. I have a Dell Mini 1012 netbook

  17. #17
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Do I need a visa to goto the USA ?.

  18. #18
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    388

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by mug View Post
    Do I need a visa to goto the USA ?.
    Yes mate, you need to apply here:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  19. #19
    DF PlaYa mug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        19
    Karma Level
    284

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Yes mate, you need to apply here:

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    A few q's

    How long does it take to process ? (my flight is on the 18th Oct)
    Do I get email confirmation or something through the mail ?
    Is it $14 per applicant ?.

    Cheers,

  20. #20
    DF VIP Member Little John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    6,504
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked:        381
    Karma Level
    956

    Default Re: Cheap Flights to the USA ?

    ESTA was instant when I did mine for last september and they didn't cost anything
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cheap flights
    By eminem in forum The Dog and Duck
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30th September 2005, 09:37 AM
  2. Cheap flights to US!!
    By jackdaniels in forum Cheapskates Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th December 2004, 07:59 PM
  3. Cheap flights to SA???
    By MancRed in forum The Dog and Duck
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19th January 2004, 06:55 PM
  4. Cheap flights
    By Pongo in forum Cheapskates Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd November 2002, 10:43 PM
  5. cheap flights
    By Danger Mouse in forum Cheapskates Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 19th October 2002, 01:26 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •