Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention PSJailbreak found illegal in Aus court case

THE COURT ORDERS BY CONSENT BUT WITHOUT ADMISSIONS, THAT:

1. Upon the Applicants undertaking to the Court to:

(i)submit to such order (if any) as the Court may consider to be just for the payment of compensation, to be assessed by the Court or as it may direct, to any person whether or not a party, adversely affected by the operation of Orders 3 to 5 set out below or any continuation (with or without variation); and

(ii)pay the compensation referred to in (a) to the person or persons there referred to.

1.2 ORDERS that, until further order, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them, whether by themselves, their servants or agents, be restrained from doing any of the following acts with respect to all and any Universal Serial Bus devices described as "PSJailbreak" in Exhibit PJC-1 of the affidavit of Peter John Chalk sworn on 26 August 2010 and filed herein, as packaged, and distributed or threatened to be distributed by the Respondents (PSJailbreak Devices):

(i)importing them into Australia with the intention of providing them to another person;

(ii)distributing them to another person;

(iii)offering them to the public;

(iv)providing them to another person; and/or

(v)otherwise dealing in them.

save that it will not be a breach of Order 2(a) for the First or Second Respondent to import all and any PSJailbreak Devices in respect of which any orders were placed prior to 27 August 2010, provided that any such importation is subject to the undertaking in paragraph 5 below.

1.3 ORDERS that, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them deliver up to the solicitors for the Applicants, to be held until further order, any and all PSJailbreak Devices in those Respondents' possession custody or control.

1.4 ORDERS that, until further order, the First, Second, Third and Fourth Respondents and each of them continue to deliver up to the solicitors for the Applicants, to be held until further order, any and all PSJailbreak Devices that come into those Respondents' possession custody or control (including the sample device referred to in paragraph 7 of the Affidavit of the Second Respondent affirmed on 2 September 2010), forthwith upon them doing so.

1.5 NOTES the undertaking to the Court given by the First and Second Respondents by their counsel:

(i)forthwith to notify the supplier of PSJailbreak Devices (identified as China Sun Trading Limited of China, being the beneficiary of account number 817-374473-838 at the HSBC Hong Kong branch, 1 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong with SWIFT Address HSBCHKHHHKH) that any goods ordered by the First and Second Respondents are to be shipped to Blake Dawson to the attention of Peter Chalk at Level 26, 181 William Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000 and not to the First or Second Respondents; and

(ii)to deliver up in accordance with Order 4 above to the solicitors for the Applicants any PSJailbreak Devices received.

1.6 NOTES the undertaking to the Court of Blake Dawson:

(i)to hold any such goods securely subject to any further order of the Court; and

(ii)promptly to notify the solicitors for Respondents of the receipt of any such goods and to supply copies of any documentation received with them.

1.7 RESERVES LIBERTY to the parties to apply on 24 hours' notice, including for the purpose of the First and Second Respondents giving notice on or after 9 September 2010 that they wish the matter to be relisted for the resumption of the Applicants' application for interlocutory relief.

1.8 ORDERS that costs be reserved.

Knew it would happen. I'm guessing Teensy++ will not be covered by this though as it's just a USB dev tool as opposed to a device whose sole purpose is to circumvent security

Let's see how many other countries make the same declaration.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PSJailbreak found illegal in Aus court case

DF Moderator

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As far as I understand it. It is not a mod chip but a USB device. How can they ban the use of a USB device?
    It could just come without the ability to do what it does but with the ability to be easily modified by someone else.

What could Sony do then?
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

Much like the other devices that are selling well guess it's to do with how it's marketed. Doubt there is anything Sony can do about the others (short of buying all worldwide stock of the processor)
    DF Moderator

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This leads me to believe that sony can't patch this, hence all the law suites to get it banned..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
    This leads me to believe that sony can't patch this, hence all the law suites to get it banned..
    I think a quick win for Sony is to go through the courts and get people to stop selling them whilst they work on a patch. To patch at the level that is required is going to need a lot of testing so as not to brick lots of consoles I would imagine. Plus where does that leave Sony for their testing on faulty units if they disable the jig?

It's highly likely that they will patch this but also can you imagine what the PSJailbreak is going to do for console sales on the run up the Xmas? They may not take any action other than banning for the next few months. Many people that would get banned would buy a second console for online use and people that wouldn't normally have bought a PS3 may buy them with the possibility of getting free games.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

this case wont stop anything

my mate works for a company and they constantly find chinese companies selling copies of their patented products. the company gets the lawyers on it, cease and desist letters.

Then the whole operation closes down and a new company opens down the road when the tooling is moved to the property of the original copier's brother, cousin, friend, etc.

Sony cant stop the selling of the base components and source code is uncontrollable on the net.

It will carry on im sure.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree but Sony has to do this otherwise they will be on sale in every market and online shop inside of 3 months.

Bob - your right about the sales I just picked up a PS3 yesterday - now I just need a copy of demons souls - cant find one in any store around here. Loving uncharted at the moment though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The China market will not really give to shits about Sony's legal power. As soon as one gets closed over there (if at all) a dozen more will open.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just wonder if you will see Sony push for the clause in the Digital Economy Bill to be used and ISP's forced to block sites selling/advertising for sale as this nasty last minuet addition to this bit of legislation was obviously put in there, lobbied for and intended to be used for censorship by big business and the UK Government in cases such as this.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

its true that sony wont stop the chinese market from mass producing these (just look at the r4 carts) even when made illegal elsewhere and people will just find inventive ways of importing them however i feel that anyone producing anything over here and selling it will be hit with a law-suit as soon as word of it gets around
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Where there is a will theres a way. Sony are wasting millions on a losing battle.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if they would have only sold blank units that are flashed by the end customer they would have been ok but no they were too greedy.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Isnt this the matter of a new firmwire having the ability to change the jig code the current exploit looks for ?

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i can see this ending up like OnDigital used to be near the end
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I just wonder if you will see Sony push for the clause in the Digital Economy Bill to be used and ISP's forced to block sites selling/advertising for sale as this nasty last minuet addition to this bit of legislation was obviously put in there, lobbied for and intended to be used for censorship by big business and the UK Government in cases such as this.
    It's a slippery slope from here