Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default House and contents insurance

Hi guys,

my house and contents insurance is up for renewal in the next couple of days and i wondered if people could recommend any companies or tell me what you currently pay and who its with?

also what cover do you need for a laptop? i never had extra insurance for it before but i am going to go for it this year as im taking it more places with me

thanks
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: House and contents insurance

I'm with Direct Line and they've been really good. I can't remember how much I paid as i paid it in one lump sum but before I moved into rented I was paying £25 a month for bulidings and contents with them. This includes accidental damage but a £200 excess.

I had a few buildings and contents claims in the 5 years I was with them and the claims all went through really easily. I called because of a drip in the bathroom and they took the bathroom and kitchen back to brick and did work on the roof as well.

When I left for a year I had another leak in the bedroom and the other company wouldn't touch it but i'm sure direct line would have.

edit:- If insurance is cheap then there is probably a reason why so be mindful of who you go with.

Thanks
    Karma Level

for the laptop make sure you have away from home cover and if its an expensive laptop make sure its listed with them.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you get any quote, I would strongly advise you to throughly read through the t&c's if you are thinking of taking up an offer - some of the exclusions can be surprising.

Thanks
    Karma Level

More Than - you get contents insurance free, basic cover but you can upgrade this, its worth an online quote at least (go through quidco £35 cash back) it was the cheapest at the time for me around £225 after cash back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

From previous experience and what my brother has told me (used to work in insurance) I'd steer well clear of more than. Can't be bothered to go into it but more than incompetent is a more apt name for the folks they employ.

It's all well and good people recommending xyz company because they're cheap - that's no good if they don't shell out when you come to claim.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by syscon View Post
    More Than - you get contents insurance free, basic cover but you can upgrade this, its worth an online quote at least (go through quidco £35 cash back) it was the cheapest at the time for me around £225 after cash back.
    Im in the process of grabbing quoutes at the moment, and More Than were shockingly bad for me at £585 for combined cover, whereas the best ive had so far in £240 from Aviva. These figures exclude quidco, but More Than are the only one thats been greater than £300 so far.
    Im calling then "More Than Double" from now on.

I'll be on a quest in the next few days to compare quidco's on combined policies and also seperating them for double-quidco.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Im in the process of grabbing quoutes at the moment, and More Than were shockingly bad for me at £585 for combined cover, whereas the best ive had so far in £240 from Aviva. These figures exclude quidco, but More Than are the only one thats been greater than £300 so far.
    Im calling then "More Than Double" from now on.

I'll be on a quest in the next few days to compare quidco's on combined policies and also seperating them for double-quidco.
    That's strange as I said there were the cheapest for me even without quidco?

Have you tried money supermarket or confused.com.