Close

Thread: Surrogates

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Surrogates

The Plot says it all really.

After watching Gamer last week I went into this with expectations of it being pretty much the same thing only with less guns and game references. I'm glad to say they wern't the only differences, now I may be a little bias as I do really like Bruce Willis as an actor, there's something about him that just makes a film and his performances are usually spot on.

Surrogates is set in a world where people don't need to take risks or put themselves in anysort of personal danger as they can live their lives through their surrogate robots. With your surrogate you can look and be whoever you want to be.

Surrogates are marketed as being completely safe, no harm can come to you as long as you are using your surrogate, you can be stabbed, shot and even ran over and the worst that can happen is your surrogate needs repairing, you are perfectly safe in the comfort of your own home.

However this all changes when 2 people attached to their surrogates are found dead, their brains turned to mush. I should probably stop here otherwise I'll spoil the film but needless to say it's well worth a watch.
    Last edited by bobo06; 3rd October 2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: pic added

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Surrogates

Saw this the other day. It's pretty much in the same style as iRobot or Minority Report, the society they live in is near-futuristic but still full of social problems and class divisions.

The film wasn't insanely action packed which is fine, but I would have liked to have seen some proper robot wars, I'm guessing the film didn't have a huge budget which is understandable as this kind of crept in under the radar without a huge fanfare. There were some huge character behaviour inconsistencies where people would act very illogically but I won't go too far into that.

Still very interesting and Willis is brilliant no matter what, worth a look for anyone with sci-fi interest. Plus nasty fat men pretending hot women lol.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Speshal View Post
    Plus nasty fat men pretending hot women lol.
    Spoiler:

forget the exact wording but when willis turned to the lawyer and said "For all I know your some ugly fat guy with your dick out" that creased me up

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was looking forward to watching this movie, the special effects are great, and i so wanted to like it, but came away disappointed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surrogates was dire. There was the potential for a decent sci-fi flick with the premise, but the premise was dished out in the first ten minutes, not explored fully and then it just spiralled into a derivative, seen it all before, action whodunnit with woeful writing and zero characterization. Willis made it partially watchable. It was basically your archetypal lazy piece of star driven Hollywood gash.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the PigDog wants to fuck Bruce Willis with that score. I'm with Walter, this was formulaic, lazy special effects driven wank.

Avoid at all costs unless you are easily pleased.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had high hopes for this film but was hugely disappointed by it's weak plot and mediocre acting. It was like watching a pointless extended part of iRobot to a degree. I was glad when it finished and have little recollection of any of it due to it's non memorable content.

I gave it a generous 3/10.
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have to agree. i was really disappointed with this, willis is getting too old . and it just seemed to end .... thought it was going to be good and to be fair some parts were, as said above by pigdog there were some good old one liners but in the main it did seem a bit like it was trying too hard, 3/10
    Last edited by ming; 21st October 2009 at 05:33 PM.
    [live=MEDIC Snr]name[/live]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I Thought It was a good film which I enjoyed,The only complaint was the film being a short 1 hour 25 mins
    Last edited by bobo06; 21st October 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: infraction given read the rules on movie rating

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
    I think the PigDog wants to fuck Bruce Willis with that score. I'm with Walter, this was formulaic, lazy special effects driven wank.

Avoid at all costs unless you are easily pleased.
    Guess I must have watched a different film, I'll probably aquire it at some point and watch it again see if my opinion changes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was going to watch this but i think i'll give it a miss after these poor reviews. Do like old brucey though but he is getting on!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was disappointed with this, as I thought it had a great premise and could have been a classic.

It was entertaining enough, but could have been so much more.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I quite enjoyed this, good film.

Social Networking Bookmarks