Close

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The new Kindle 3

Actually it's probably not the best solution for me as I already own a load of kindle books and I'm presuming the Sony won't sync those ?

Still interested to hear a price though, doesn't need to be for this week
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'd have to use Calibre to convert I think. I paid £180 just over a year ago, it's as new and boxed but I guess £90 would do it since the wifi Kindle is only £110, off to the Docs, back in a hour or so.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    I cant believe I forgot about this one last night, there are a load of magazines available in pdf that can be converted to work with the kindle

theres everything from playboy to BBC's focus magazine
    http://worldmags.net/
    How do the conversions look on the kindle?

Interested as mine should be turning up on the 6th?

cheers
    -= tom999 =-
    tonight the milky bars are on me

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I cant believe I forgot about this one last night, there are a load of magazines available in pdf that can be converted to work with the kindle

theres everything from playboy to BBC's focus magazine
    http://worldmags.net/
    Lots of mags for my iPad!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quick Question.
    Kindle has arrived and I've grabbed the ebook list from the nzb that Rap put up.
    I've installed Calibre but when I do a transfer of the epub book to the Kindle (getting Calibre to convert on the fly during upload) it just looks piss. Margins and paragraphs all over the shop.
    Anyone got some decent config settings for converting epub to mobi with Calibre?

The books I've bought on Amazon look great.
    PSN :- t1mbhoy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

As soon as someone finds the best settings for the Kindle perhaps they could post them, I found Calibre worked well enough on default on my PRS 505, My Kindle is arriving tonight so I won't have a chance to tinker until Friday.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Bugger, my finger just slipped!!
    Damn that 1-click ordering but honestly you will love the Kindle, its lighter, faster and has much better contrast than the Sony Reader. Its also got the obvious wireless delivery options, which for me are important e.g. I get the London Evening Standard pushed to my Kindle before I take the train home every evening. It makes a big change from having to read the free papers in German, plus I like to keep up with Landan News. Also you could be on your hols, decide the novel you're reading is shit and simply login to the Kindle Store and buy another (whether on wifi or 3G).

Being metal the Sony is more solid and it will read more formats, but with Calibre you can inter-convert pretty much anything and one advantage of the plastic design is its weight saving.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tom999 View Post
    How do the conversions look on the kindle?

Interested as mine should be turning up on the 6th?

cheers
    they look great, its weird all the images being in black and white to begin with but once you get used to that its fine,

as for the calibre conversion settings fire up calibre and at the end of the top row of icons theres the preferences click on that and the preferences pop up you click on the conversions tab and it brings up another menu,

the 2nd tab is page setup in the output profile select the kindle and in the input profile which is below select Default input profile, unless you know what the book/file was made to be read on

other than specifying where the ebooks are to be saved (when it imports it creates duplicates) thats all I have had to do and they've come out fine everytime

I would advise grabbing a copy of the Kindle collection manager, its content management is shit, and it really makes the kindle far more manageable, especially when you get more than 50-60 books on it,
    http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

At least the same day delivery means I get quick satisfaction!! They really need to get this in the High Street

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lots of mags for my iPad!!

What's the best App for viewing Magazines on the iPad or do you just convert through Calibre to use in iBooks or just use a PDF reader ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    What's the best App for viewing Magazines on the iPad or do you just convert through Calibre to use in iBooks or just use a PDF reader ?
    I use Zinio but I've only tried the mags I've downloaded from them, I love Kobo as an iPad ereader.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use Zinio but I've only tried the mags I've downloaded from them, I love Kobo as an iPad ereader.
    Cheers I'll have a butchers. Just d'loaded the first Playboy mag as a test of course and realised it's in Romanian

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

they look great, its weird all the images being in black and white to begin with but once you get used to that its fine,

as for the calibre conversion settings fire up calibre and at the end of the top row of icons theres the preferences click on that and the preferences pop up you click on the conversions tab and it brings up another menu,

the 2nd tab is page setup in the output profile select the kindle and in the input profile which is below select Default input profile, unless you know what the book/file was made to be read on

other than specifying where the ebooks are to be saved (when it imports it creates duplicates) thats all I have had to do and they've come out fine everytime

I would advise grabbing a copy of the Kindle collection manager, its content management is shit, and it really makes the kindle far more manageable, especially when you get more than 50-60 books on it,
    http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/
    Still coming out right-justified with these default settings. It's like the margin is being drawn a third of the way in from the left of the screen leaving a large chunk of the screen blank.
    Text size is perfect but the formatting is awful.
    I'll keep playing.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    Cheers I'll have a butchers. Just d'loaded the first Playboy mag as a test of course and realised it's in Romanian
    You actually want to READ it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wulliec View Post
    Still coming out right-justified with these default settings. It's like the margin is being drawn a third of the way in from the left of the screen leaving a large chunk of the screen blank.
    Text size is perfect but the formatting is awful.
    I'll keep playing.
    I cant remember where I read it but there is the ability to justify the text while you use the kindle which is done by pressing alt shift and j I think

EDIT I just found this http://e-bookvine.com/how-can-i-just...-on-my-kindle/
    I cant get it to work on mine but I think thats because there isnt any space left to do it on either side of the page

Press the font key, and the Kindle displays its usual six choices for your font size. But if you then type the letter J, the Kindle suddenly presents you with two more choices. There’s “Full Justification” and “Left Justification,” and it dramatically changes the way your ebooks will look!
    I also found this but Ive not had a chance to check it out
    On the MobileRead forum (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94129) isotherm and others pointed out that the K2 trick to decrease margins works on the K3. I can confirm that it works on my K3. To decrease the margins on the K3 follow these steps:

Step (1): If using Windows be sure to set Folder Options to Show hidden files, folders, and drives and uncheck the Hide unprotected system files option.

Step (2): Close all books and go to the K3 Home screen.

Step (3): Connect your K3 to your PC via the USB cable.

Step (4): Using windows Explorer locate the following file KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref. Where KINDLE equals the drive Windows assigned to your K3.

Step (5): Using Notepad edit KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref and change the setting HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 to a smaller number like HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=20.

HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 equals 20 pixel margins on left and right for a total of 40 pixels. So decide how many pixels you want your margin left to be and multiply it times two. Using 20 works well. Using 10 it gets a little small. Using 0 (zero) gets rid of margins but makes it difficult to read.

Step (6): Save the file KINDLE:\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pref.

Step (7): Eject and unplug your K3.

Step (8 ): From the K3 Home screen press Menu and select Settings to go to the Settings page.

Step (9): From the K3 Settings screen press Menu and select Restart to restart the K3.

NOTE: Once the K3 restarts your margins are reset and will remain reset unless you change the Words per Line setting which will return to margins to factory settings.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I forgot to ask is it books or magazines that are having the problems with the justifications, the reason I ask is that if its magazines and theyre pdf you dont have to convert them, they should work out of the box

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the help Casio.... I appreciate it. This has been driving me nuts all day.
    They're all epub books. I must be doing something wrong in Calibre but I'll be buggered if I know what!
    The J trick isn't in the Kindle 3 and the file edit trick doesn't seem to do quite enough although it is a massive improvement.

What I'm doing now is editing the css script in the .epub file and removing the margins from there. I'm then converting to .mobi but it is a hit or a miss.
    Basically, for starters, I'm trying to get my Pratchett/Rankin/Holt/Dorsey/Moore collections off the bookshelf and into e-format but the only filetypes I can find are the epub ones.

I've spent a fortune on books over the years and I'll be buggered if I'm going to fork out again for the same ones

Thanks
    Karma Level

added a 3g+wifi one to my basket and then noticed the dispatch time.. 4 to 7 days.

The wifi only version is available immediately but I don't want that one.

This is going to have to wait until my return from Turkey I think.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

I look at it the same way m8, I'll pm you my email address and if you want I'll try the file when Its been run though everything my way and see how it comes out if it works I'll get some screen grabs of all the options and what my settings are in Calibre

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I look at it the same way m8, I'll pm you my email address and if you want I'll try the file when Its been run though everything my way and see how it comes out if it works I'll get some screen grabs of all the options and what my settings are in Calibre
    You're a gentleman.
    I'll fire it off to you.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast