Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question New Hard Drive Info Requsted Please

Hi Peeps

I've a Dell Dimension 520 and am looking at upgrading the HD around 500gig-1tb ish (currently have a Samsung SP2504C info here). I've read a number of reviews on Seagate, Samsung, WD etc and am still none the wiser.

Can anyone offer any advice please noting that there have been a number of negative comments regarding failures on various units and what models should I avoid.

Thanks

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New Hard Drive Info Requsted Please

I would steer clear of the Seagates - the quality of these drives seems to be poor now - I have two 1tb SEAGATE ST31000 drives and both have failed - one replacement is still working the other lasted two months then failed, the replacement for that failed after one day! Am now waiting on a replacement for that to arrive, at least they are sending me a 1.5tb to replace it I guess

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

western digital are good mate, i have several internal and external drives - all working good and had no problems.
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to hate WD drives but lately they seem excellent. My Raptors have been in for 4 years now although they both were replacements after units that failed within 2 months. Been using the green eco ones in customers computers and they have been rock solid and fast so far. Hitachi are bloody awful though so personally I would stay well clear.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Samsung all the way for me. I have bought a couple of Seagates and WD's for clients recently which I have had no problems with but I always go for samsung F series.

If it's for the OS go for a F3, if storage go for a F2 Ecogreen. This will do the trick for your OS install:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=37726

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ruggie_uk View Post
    I used to hate WD drives but lately they seem excellent. My Raptors have been in for 4 years now although they both were replacements after units that failed within 2 months. Been using the green eco ones in customers computers and they have been rock solid and fast so far. Hitachi are bloody awful though so personally I would stay well clear.
    At work for portable drives, we always get wd passports, and I have to say I have been surprised at the beating many of them have taken. On mine, the usb conenctor eventually came away but the drive was still perfect, and that took a real battering.

Awful hitachis - is that all drives, or just some. Reason being at the moment I've been buying in a few a7k2000's as they boast 136 years mtbf - wondering if they were a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Samsung all the way for me. I have bought a couple of Seagates and WD's for clients recently which I have had no problems with but I always go for samsung F series.

If it's for the OS go for a F3, if storage go for a F2 Ecogreen. This will do the trick for your OS install:
    I bought 4 samsung spinpoint F1's after everyone on here was raving about them, but looking them up now, apparently they had a high rate of returns. I've never had any issue with mine though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post

Sorry M8 can you confrim OS (operating system) sorry for being so dense!

B

Thanks
    Karma Level

The first HDD I ever bought was a seagate 3gig and the thing lasted forever, mite even still work to this day and for a good few years after that I swore by them, in the last few years they have definetly gone downhill as my later ones have all started to trigger the windows drive check at boot up, and now fair the seatools tests, however, the warrenty on them seem to last forever and they are great at returning them with refurbs.

My current C drive is a WD, which i chose because they boasted some of the fastest speeds for standard sata, and so far it seems to be very reliable. I would always say, whatever you are thinking of getting, buy a spare one and do regular backup of if, I have a couple of older drives in my case that arnt wired up and every so often i plug em in update the backups of my mp3s and photos.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    Sorry M8 can you confrim OS (operating system) sorry for being so dense!

B
    Yes mate by OS I mean operating system, if you plan to install windows on it then I suggest a Samsung F3. I am still running my F1 and have had no problems whatsoever, I have a samsung F3 which came in my external Iomega 1.5TB HDD and that too has had no issues.

I have had plenty of issues with external WD drives and seagate drives this year but that may be a coincidence as I have used internals from both brands with no problems.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Peeps

I now have a Samsung HD103SJ, can someone recommend a free cloning software please that works with Vista. I'm going to format the drive as NTFS as well.

Thanks

B

Thanks
    Karma Level

not to hijack the thread but apart from size how does the samsung F3 compare to

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150247#reviews

or this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146079#reviews

I need a new drive to replace failed seagate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    I would steer clear of the Seagates - the quality of these drives seems to be poor now - I have two 1tb SEAGATE ST31000 drives and both have failed - one replacement is still working the other lasted two months then failed, the replacement for that failed after one day! Am now waiting on a replacement for that to arrive, at least they are sending me a 1.5tb to replace it I guess
    My replacement drive arrived today and it beat the other one for time to be fucked - fucking dead on arrival with this one - started clicking away first time I powered it up

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    not to hijack the thread but apart from size how does the samsung F3 compare to

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150247#reviews

or this

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146079#reviews

I need a new drive to replace failed seagate
    Specwise they are the same so down to brand preference really. I always recommend samsung but it's up to you matey. Scan have 2 x HD103SJ for £84 today!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    My replacement drive arrived today and it beat the other one for time to be fucked - fucking dead on arrival with this one - started clicking away first time I powered it up
    Just to follow up on this the replacement 1.5tb drive I got after this has just gone fucked as well - I know it aint my system as I have a 1 x maxtor 300gig + 1 x wd 700 gig these have worked fine for the last year or so just stuck a 150 gig WD velociraptor in - all these work no probs Seagate really are shit now 5+ replacements in under a year

Had other drives (7+) in this system as well over time no probs - fucking piss take - this new one fails every one of the seatools tests - cunts
    Last edited by prezzy; 3rd September 2010 at 10:26 PM.