Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Whats the deal with RROD these days?

i had an elite go down, 2 yrs old and the older one go down straight after it, within hours. that one was 4 yrs old. So wierd a coincidence.

the elite, ms extended there warranty to 3yrs for 3 rrod so that one is covered and currently in germany getting fixed.

the first one i did the remove xclamp and m5 x 10mm screw fix. i didnt drill the case though.

however i know as i see many other have , have the fans after about 20secs continually build up speed to maximum.

the heatsink is really hot to touch after a minute. I have tried adding more paste as i had only added enough to cover it, but alas didnt work.

without wanting to hijack this thread, as it will potentially help the original poster, anyone managed to fix the full speed fan noise?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i found that putting the original clamps back on remedys the loud fan problem and make sure u put plastic ducking back before you test. Other times letting the whole xbox cool down properly seems to fix it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i did consider putting the xclamps back on again, but surely that would just return the rrod? yes the plastic shroud is on. luckily i didnt drill the metal case so that is an option still open to me

are you going on the theory that the m5 bolts and rebake alter the solder flow, so putting the xclamps back on again alters the connections?

i mean there are no connections for a fan know, i can only assume that perhaps the paste that came with eh kit was rubbish, but saying that the heatsink is read hot, so its is like it does need to be on to evacuate the heat. But if you feel the air ejected it isnt actually hot.
    Last edited by palman; 27th October 2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added reasoning

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i found this with alot of rrod repairs, 2 things i found worked for me, first, the chips and heat sinks need to be spotless, second, you need to let it cool down for a good couple of hours after heating it up, and then recheck all bolts to the heatsinks
    If that fails it could be you not got enough paste on the chips

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i bit the bullet and returned the xclamps. After its been on a few seconds the fan just whirrs up to max speed in steps. When i feel the heatsink it is actually hot, thus i assume inferring there is enough paste on it.

i did have a slight niggle that the actual metal case was also acting as heat dispercment. Alas not. even after i added the screws to hold in the heatsinks to it the fan still sped up.

Its like the fan is doing its job, but the chip is actually getting hot too quick. Which there is no logic too. So for the moment i am down to turning tv up, wearing earplugs or buying a quieter fan, still would also run at full speed so i am reluctant to buy one for £20. I just find it really wierd why 2 machines went down on the same day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12