Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

Protesters burned an effigy of Pastor Terry Jones

The top US commander in Afghanistan has warned that troops' lives will be in danger if an American church sticks to its plan to burn copies of the Koran.
    Gen David Petraeus said the action could cause problems "not just in Kabul, but everywhere in the world".
    Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center, plans to put copies of the holy book in a bonfire to mark this week's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
    There have already been protests in Afghanistan and Indonesia.

The US embassy in Kabul issued a statement condemning the plans by the non-denominational church in Gainesville, Florida.
    "It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen Petraeus said in a statement to US media. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems.
    "Not just here, but everywhere in the world, we are engaged with the Islamic community," added Gen Petraeus, who heads a 150,000-strong Nato force against a Taliban-led insurgency.
    Meanwhile, Nato chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Tuesday blasted the church's plans, telling reporters that burning Korans violated the Nato alliance's "values".
    "There is a risk that it may also have a negative impact on security for our troops," news agency AFP quoted him as saying.
    Mr Jones said the church was "very concerned" after hearing Gen Petraeus' warning and was taking his words seriously. He said the church was praying on the matter but he said the group had "firmly made up our minds".

"How long do we back down?" he said on CNN.
    In Kabul on Monday, about 500 protesters chanted "long live Islam" and "death to America" as they set fire to an effigy of Mr Jones.
    The controversy comes at a time of already heated debate in the US over a proposal to build a mosque and Islamic cultural centre two streets from Ground Zero, site of the 9/11 attacks, in New York.
    The planned protest by Mr Jones's previously little-known 50-member Florida church, whose website labels Islam "violent and oppressive", has prompted protests elsewhere, too.
    Thousands of mostly Muslim demonstrators rallied around Indonesia last weekend.
    Claims that US soldiers have desecrated the Koran in both Afghanistan and Iraq have caused bloodshed in the past.
    There were deadly protests in Afghanistan in 2008, when it emerged that a US soldier deployed to Iraq riddled a copy of the holy book with bullets.
    And further lives were lost in Afghan riots in 2005 when Newsweek magazine printed a story alleging that US interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a copy of the Koran down a toilet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11209738
    Last edited by 4me2; 7th September 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: If you post in this section post a link to source as per section rules.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Petraeus: Koran burning plan will endanger US troops

The only thing I see here is hypocracy.

Can't burn a koran but it's fine to burn effigies at every given opportunity.

Religion is total bollox.

Can't people see that they are being used as pawns for corrupt and power hungry idiots ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are they burning the bible in Afghanistan? Or Iraq? Only in America could you find such stupidity and enough wankers to turn up to the event.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Are they burning the bible in Afghanistan? Or Iraq? Only in America could you find such stupidity and enough wankers to turn up to the event.
    The question is how the fuck did they find out about it in Afghanistan.

In Kabul on Monday, about 500 protesters chanted "long live Islam" and "death to America" as they set fire to an effigy of Mr Jones.
    Talk about rent a mob !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    The question is how the fuck did they find out about it in Afghanistan.

Talk about rent a mob !
    It was on CNN......

Thanks
    Karma Level

It was on CNN......
    So these 500 Effigy burning Afghans were all sitting around watching CNN in between prayer times then ?

I still think it was a staged event probably financed by someone living in a safe haven.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So these 500 Effigy burning Afghans were all sitting around watching CNN in between prayer times then ?

I still think it was a staged event probably financed by someone living in a safe haven.
    Staged? The only people who staged this were the media hungry evangelists in the US who need to commit ever increasing acts of stupidity to satisfy their brain dead congregation.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Staged? The only people who staged this was the media hungry evangelists in the US who need to commit ever increasing acts of stupidity to satisfy their brain dead congregation.
    I'm not disagreeing with that bit but you just can't sweep under the carpet the hypocracy of the 500 sponsored sheep in Afghanistan either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not disagreeing with that bit but you just can't sweep under cause the carpet the hypocracy of the 500 sponsored sheep in Afghanistan either.
    Cause and effect. There'd be no Afghan protest without the fuck nuggets in Florida.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cause and effect. There'd be no Afghan protest without the fuck nuggets in Florida.
    There is only one cause and that is religion, ALL RELIGIONS, it's not a onesided affair.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good fucking luck...Bullshit dont burn...
    I know you...Small fish, Even smaller pond....and you know me....xxx...

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is only one cause and that is religion, ALL RELIGIONS, it's not a onesided affair.
    In this case it is. There is absolutely no excuse for burning the Qur'an. Islamic terrorists, including the Taliban, do not represent the majority of Islam. So, burning the the holy book of Islam is a direct attack on all those who follow Islam, most of whom are peace loving and law abiding.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In this case it is. There is absolutely no excuse for burning the Qur'an. Islamic terrorists, including the Taliban, do not represent the majority of Islam. So, burning the the holy book of Islam is a direct attack on all those who follow Islam, most of whom are peace loving and law abiding.
    I fully agree, why antagonise the overwhelming majority of moderate Muslims who are as much at war with terrorists as we are. Just look at all the bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.. The victims are all Muslims. By burning the Quran you are effectively vindicating the extremists who want people to believe that The West is at war with Islam. You can be a staunch atheist and still see the folly of these Christian fundamentalist nutters.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

this even will turn moderate muslims into "not so moderate" muslims, i think they will a far bigger problem if it happens that there has been to date, because every man is a potential terrorist.

You may burn the pages of the qur'an, but apart from breeding more hatred it will serve no other purpose because we muslim belive as stated in the qur'an that Allah has taken it upon himself to protect the Qur'an. thats why it has remained unchanged for over 1400 years.

You wanna turn your muslim neighbour into a "terrorist" then go f**k with his mind, but you may not like the consequences.
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You only say this because you dont understand religion, you only know what you get told from the media, yes thats right, you want to see sheep, then go look in a mirror. You are a fine example of the product that western media has maniplated and mindf**ked into thinking the way you do. If i am wrong then give me one good reason why you think religion is the cause, just one good reason.
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I do find the headline laughable though - if they actually gave a shite about their troops they wouldn't have sent them in.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was Muslims burning bibles would there be a kick up about it, probably not.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    If it was Muslims burning bibles would there be a kick up about it, probably not.
    If Christian evangelist extremists had the balls they'd be strapping c4 to themselves and blowing shit up. Wankers the lot of 'em.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very true but we all know why the situation is always so onesided don't we ?

Because the vast majority of the world's known oil reserves are in Muslim countries.

People especially Muslims are quick to forget that Muslims were also killed in the 9/11 events.

Death toll rises to 23 in suicide blast in NW Pakistan

A boy injured during the suicide blast in Kohat receives medical treatment at a local hospital in northwest Pakistan's Peshawar on Sept. 7, 2010. At least 23 people were killed and over 80 others injured as a massive suicide bomb blast ripped through a police residential area Tuesday night in the city of Kohat in Pakistan's northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkwa. (Xinhua Photo/Umar Qayyum)

ISLAMABAD, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) --

The Tuesday night suicide bomb blast killed 23 people, injured over 80 others and destroyed at least 25 living quarters in a police residential area in the city of Kohat in Pakistan's northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkwa.
    Dozens of people are reportedly trapped under the rubble of the damaged buildings after an estimated 400 kilograms of explosives were detonated, said local police officers.
    According to Xinhua reporter and the local media reports, an unidentified suicide bomber rammed an explosive-laden rickshaw at one of the buildings inside a police residential area, causing huge damage to many buildings including a nearby local TV station.
    Police have cordoned off the blast area and rescue team has arrived at the scene shortly after the blast, said an eyewitness.
    All the injured people are police and their family members including many women and kids, hospital sources said adding at least five of the injured are in critical condition.
    No group has claimed responsibility for the blast yet.
    This is the fourth deadly suicide bomb blast in Pakistan this month.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13483493.htm

The hypocrisy carries on.

Kill people from their own religion in the name of religion. Apparently this is supposed to be revenge for US drones that killed people in Pakistan recently.

Everyone should take a leaf out of the soviet Union's and China's book.

Ban the bollox !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I do find the headline laughable though - if they actually gave a shite about their troops they wouldn't have sent them in.
    Exactly ! Believe me it's all about oil prices/reserves again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast