Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

PC Games For Windows Live - one key to rule them all

on my hunt for something to play online (poor ps3 has to stay offline ) i stumbled upon this bit of information and i thought my fellow (cheap ) DFers would like it too.

there are some real gems on there like sf4 or bb ct with cross platform pc/360 play.
    guess i´m gonna give halo a try too.

Since there has been a hell of a lot of discussion around the GFWL "glitch", I figured I might as well throw up a definitive guide on exactly what it is, how it's accomplished and what the limitations are. Basically, Microsoft appears to have slightly messed up with their key structure for titles that use their "Live" service for Windows gaming - in essence; with the exception of a single title, every game under the GFWL banner has an interchangeable key which functions for every other game.

Q: Are you serious? I can use any Games For Windows serial key for any other Games For Windows game?
    A: Yes, I'm serious and yes it's true. As long as the game has the Live tag, then the key is compatible with other Live-enabled games.

Q: Can I download a Live game and use the RLD/RZR/ETC key?
    A: No. It must be a legitimate, official, key.

Q: So the legitimate key will work on cracked copies of the game?
    A: Yes. Of course you'll need to find a new crack whenever the game is updated, but the key will always work.

Q: Ok, you mentioned limitations. Explain please.
    A: Each key can be used only a set number of times. Nobody knows exactly how many times they can be used, some have reported barely a handful of times before the key stops activating new games, while others still claim over a dozen. Myself, I've activated at *least* 10 games of my own, as well as giving the key to a bunch of friends who've used it in turn - before it finally stopped working.

Secondly; GFWL 3.0, the new updates to the Live system - in certain games - have set it so that while you can still use any GFWL key, it is subsequently tied to your Live profile, meaning nobody else can use your key on those games. AFAIK the only games to currently use GFWL 3.0 (the new update which ties the entered key to your profile making it you-only) are;

• Red Faction Guerilla.
    • Section 8.
    • Resident Evil 5.
    • DiRT 2

Q: So what's this "one title" you said doesn't work with other GFWL keys?
    A: Section 8.

A2: With the release of Codemaster's DiRT 2, we now know that it - too - has the same key restrictions as Section 8. You cannot use any other GFWL key on DiRT 2.
    A3: Blacklight: Tango Down is also incompatible with current "universal" GFWL keys.

Q: Hey WTF? I just downloaded Supreme Commander and I tried the key from my legitimate copy of Grand Theft Auto IV and it didn't work! FUU!!
    A: A common mistake. For the keys to work, the game in question must say "Games For Windows LIVE" If your game isn't part of LIVE, then Live keys will not activate it. A simple test if your game is Live-enabled; once it loads, press the HOME key. If it's Live-enabled, an interface will drop down from the top of the screen. If not? It's more than likely not a Live title.

Q: Hey WTF? I just tried to install Quantum of Solace using my Fallout 3 key and it said "Invalid serial" You lied to me!! FFFUU!
    A: Good point and another common mistake. These keys aren't *always* installation keys, some games have a separate key for that. The skeleton key trick usually only applies to ACTIVATION. IE; Loading the game, pressing HOME to get the Live interface, then typing in the key when requested. Of course most the time the key is the same, both for installation and for activation, but there are rare cases where there is a different key for installation.

Q: Ok, ok, I get it now. So what games ARE Live-enabled?
    A: Here is a complete list of every Live-enabled game released to date - and a following list of upcoming games known to be part of Live.

>>Released<<

• Batman: Arkham Asylum
    • Battlestations Pacific
    • Bioshock 2
    • Blacklight: Tango Down
    • BlazBlue - Calamity Trigger
    • Colin McRae's DiRT 2
    • Dark Void
    • Fallout 3
    • Flatout Ultimate Carnage
    • FUEL
    • Game Room
    • Gears of War
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Grand Theft Auto IV - Episodes From Liberty City
    • Halo 2
    • Hour of Victory
    • Juiced 2 - Hot Import Nights
    • Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    • Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition (MUST be Colonies Edition)
    • Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
    • Microsoft Tinker
    • Osmose
    • Quantum of Solace
    • Red Faction Guerilla
    • Resident Evil 5
    • Section 8
    • Shadowrun
    • Star Wars - The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes
    • Stormrise
    • Street Fighter IV
    • The Club
    • Universe At War
    • Vancouver 2010
    • Viva Piñata
    • Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2
    • Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising
    • Where's Waldo? - The Fantastic Journey
    • World of Goo

>>Upcoming<<

=Note: We have no way of knowing whether these upcoming titles will use the new GFWL 3.0 system or whether MS will change the key structure altogether, so we don't know if the current key glitch will work on these titles=

• Australian Rules Football
    • CarneyVale: Showtime
    • Dead Rising 2
    • F1 - 2010
    • Fable III
    • Flowerz
    • Homefront
    • Spartan

Q: Whoa, that's a lot of games. And all those can be activated with a single key, as long as it's a GFWL key?
    A: Yes. As for being activated all in one go? Ehh... your mileage may vary. Realistically expect around 5-10 activations on a single key before you hit the usage limit.

Q: I read somewhere that GFWL titles have a 15 activation limit, is this true?
    A: To the best of our knowledge, yes; it's true. 2K Games recently let slip that their upcoming title "Bioshock 2" is using the standard GFWL activation limit, which they said is 15 times per key - as per Microsoft's policy. I think we can take this to mean that the general policy for GFWL keys is "15 activations" The good news however, is that Microsoft will reset the activations if you contact their support department. Whether this is true, or feasible for us pirates, remains to be seen.

Q: How will I know when the key has been used up completely?
    A: You will see the following screen upon entering the key during Live activation;

Q: Awesome, you've convinced me. Now where's the best place to get one of these magical skeleton keys?
    A: Anywhere that sells GFWL games, silly. The best games to go for are; "The Club" and "Universe at War" - simply because you can get either of those for less than a fiver from practically any game store, on or offline. If you buy a UaW key and reach your activation limit after four activations, who cares? That's four games for the price (laughably low, I might add) of ONE. Bargain no?

For example:

Universe at War. £1.50 with free shipping.

=You can always find the latest list of confirmed, speculated, released and upcoming GFWL titles ; Here.
    List_of_Games_for_Windows_titles
    =

Hopefully that should help answer a few questions about the whole GFWL brouhaha - if anyone has anything to add, or needs even MORE clarification (jeez, want me to come to your house and install the bloody games for you? hehe) then just post it in here. Happy pirating!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Games For Windows Live - one key to rule them all

Outstanding work there Microsoft

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just tried it with the new 'F1 2010' game instead of the serial supplied by Razor1911...works a treat. I'm gonna try the multiplayer option in a few days time.
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    Just tried it with the new 'F1 2010' game instead of the serial supplied by Razor1911...works a treat. I'm gonna try the multiplayer option in a few days time.
    cool - thanks for testing

Thanks
    Karma Level

i cant find a key to buy online

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just buy the cheapest of the aforementioned games through Steam.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got fuel for $9 if the website is legit lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    f1 didnt work for me, it installs fine but when u try to sign into a live account the key is invalid

Thanks
    Karma Level

same here. I didn't want to try & sign in to the live account until the game had been officially released - for obvious reasons. Shame On the plus side you can always play it with your mates through Tunngle
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

then it uses GFWL 3.0 - too bad

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if i use the key on games for windows is there any chance i can get it into steam? say for bioshock 2?

Thanks
    Karma Level

use it while you can:
    update coming on 15th Nov:
    o Per-Title 5x5 LIVE Access keys are tied to a specific game, but not a specific PC or LIVE Account. Prevents keys from being shared between GFWL titles but allows more than one Gamertag to play the game on your PC