Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Changing some locks

Hi,
    I lost my keys last night, I had my bag stolen and my keys were in it. The have my flat number on but not sure if anybody would know what building they belong to. Anyway, just for peace of mind I want to change the barrels in my two front door locks. Is it a straight forward process? A locksmith quoted me £120 which just seems ridiculous! I want both locks to use one key as that is the way it's set up now.
    Can anyone help me, how do I know what lock to buy? Is it something I can do easily?

Thanks in advance,
    T
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Changing some locks

Quote Originally Posted by tawny View Post
    Hi,
    I lost my keys last night, I had my bag stolen and my keys were in it. The have my flat number on but not sure if anybody would know what building they belong to. Anyway, just for peace of mind I want to change the barrels in my two front door locks. Is it a straight forward process? A locksmith quoted me £120 which just seems ridiculous! I want both locks to use one key as that is the way it's set up now.
    Can anyone help me, how do I know what lock to buy? Is it something I can do easily?

Thanks in advance,
    T
    A lot depends on what type of lock they are mate.. can you up a pic? As for two locks with the same key.. that would require a locksmith 're-keying' the other cylinder to match the other locks key as well.. that's probably where some of the cost comes into it.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I changed mine a few months ago - the porch door was a europrofile cylinder, only held in by one long screw. The nightlatch and cylinder was pretty easy, 3 screws for the catch, then another 2 for the barrel, then just needed to trim the bit sticking out of the new barrel to the right length and reassemble.

I've rekeyed some lock types quite easily, but don't think these locks will be as easy but I could be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds to me like one is a eurocylinder(yale type) and the other is another euro (dead lock type) for both to be keyed alike your talking about forty pounds to buy. you need to go to a lock smith shop and ask if they have any stock. ASSA or eurospec would be ones to look out for. one would be a single screw to remove (probably a thumb turn if you live in a flat) and the other would just be like changing a yale lock.
    http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...hbutton=submit
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 