Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question What have you been reading lately?

Since we don't have a literature forum here on DF. I thought I would create this thread here (If it's in the wrong place though mods then feel free to move!)

So I recently got through reading "Carrie" by Stehpen King. Wasn't that bad in my opinion, you could tell it was his first work though as the pacing just felt... slow but ennjoyable none the less. Very short aswell (about 200 pages) so it's ideal for anyone who wants to get introduced to his work.

Picked up a few books on Friday, various short stories by HP Lovecraft and other authors, World War Z by Max Brooker, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger.

Started reading Catch-22 (mainly because it's the longest) and quite enjoying it so far. I think its gonna take a few readings to understand the whole story though as it does go back and forth quite a bit.

So what was the last thing you read DF? Do you recommend it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What have you been reading latley?

Just re read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - excellent

Now half way through My Problem Child by Albert Hoffmann (about LSD) - very interesting

Before them I maybe sadly have read a couple of Agatha Christie Miss Marple books which actually are pretty good imo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just on the last book of a series of books that Rap has a link to in the iPad section. Charlie Hutson the Joe Pitt series. It's a hardcore Vampire series and very easy reading. Hoping that the last book I am on is not the last of the series. I read the first 4 books in 1 week
    Also reading Peter F Hamilton's latest book which is the final book of a pretty good Sci Fi trilogy called Evolutionary Void on my iPhone. If you like Hamilton make sure you check out The Nights Dawn Trilogy !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just on the last book of a series of books that Rap has a link to in the iPad section. Charlie Hutson the Joe Pitt series. It's a hardcore Vampire series and very easy reading. Hoping that the last book I am on is not the last of the series. I read the first 4 books in 1 week
    Also reading Peter F Hamilton's latest book which is the final book of a pretty good Sci Fi trilogy called Evolutionary Void on my iPhone. If you like Hamilton make sure you check out The Nights Dawn Trilogy !

OOPS ! Sorry about the double post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished reading The Game by Neil Strauss, was a well written book and quite funny in places. And just started reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson, which is great, I had a bit of a buying frenzy and bought 5 or so of his books at the same time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hadn't actually 'read' a book for donkey years until recently... last ones were James Herbert series types in my younger days, loved them.

Now though, I've started reading Anthony Horowitz' series of Alex Rider, mainly down to my son who's forever got his head in one of them. Hardly intellectual, but does me
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just re-read a book by Paul Carter called "Don't tell mum I work on the rigs, she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse".

Extremely easy reading and absolutely hilarious. It's just a series of funny stories that the author experienced in his years working on oil rigs around the world. There's a story about when he lived in Burma and had a chain smoking pet monkey that was addicted to wanking. Properly laugh out loud stuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

Started to re-read the Wheel of Time series of books in preparation for the final book, 20 years after it was started (and indeed after the author died!). Its a fantasy series, and quite verbose in places, but entertaining non-the less.

Thanks
    Karma Level

a Brief History of Time and just started reading "A briefer history of time" both amazing books by stephen hawking

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What have you been reading lately?

I'm reading 'Whim' by Luke Rhinehart, he also wrote 'The Dice Man', and if you haven't read that, then you should.

I'm also a third of the way through the Baroque Cycle, by Neal Stephenson. I think I saw the genre described as 'History of Science, Fiction', which seems fairly accurate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baroque_cycle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Keva View Post
    Since we don't have a literature forum here on DF. I thought I would create this thread here (If it's in the wrong place though mods then feel free to move!)

So I recently got through reading "Carrie" by Stehpen King. Wasn't that bad in my opinion, you could tell it was his first work though as the pacing just felt... slow but ennjoyable none the less. Very short aswell (about 200 pages) so it's ideal for anyone who wants to get introduced to his work.

Picked up a few books on Friday, various short stories by HP Lovecraft and other authors, World War Z by Max Brooker, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger.

Started reading Catch-22 (mainly because it's the longest) and quite enjoying it so far. I think its gonna take a few readings to understand the whole story though as it does go back and forth quite a bit.

So what was the last thing you read DF? Do you recommend it?
    Catch-22 and Catcher in the Rye are two of my favourite books, and I've always got time for some Lovecraft. I'm not a big Stephen King fan, apart from 'The Stand' and his Dark Tower series, which are, imho, excellent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

last book i read was World War Z - quite good
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can highly recommend Road to Nab End, Beyond Nab End by William Woodruff and his days as a boy in the early 1900's in Blackburn very interesting and amusing...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DOn't get time to read so listen on the go....... just finished Michael J Fox - Lucky Man.... great book read by the man himself and is great in fact to listen to him talk about his Parkinson's is real insight.......
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

TBH not a reader well only tech stuff, but read eight lives down major chris hunter very easy read the intro grabbed me about danger UXB would recommend, done bravo two zero & the one that got away to see what it was all about, think soldier five might conclude or shed different light on the fateful event

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've actually just started re-reading The Dirt - Motley Crue: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band. I read it about 2 years ago and it was excellent so I'm reading it again now until I make my next purchase as I've just finished Slash: The Autobiography!!

Yes I do love reading about a bit of Rock n' Roll excess!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I also read The Game by Neil Strauss and thought it was fantastic, I also read catcher in the rye and loved it. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee which was really good.

Anthony Keidis from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers has a very good autobiography

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just finished reading Ian Bothams autobiography...and now reading a book about unusual cricketing feats and misadventures. All easy on the bog reading!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep" lovin it.. sequel to "The Shining"
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep" lovin it.. sequel to "The Shining"
    I'd try posting in this section...... http://www.digital-forums.com/forumd...The-DF-Library