Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ridley Scott reveals details on Alien prequel

With his latest film, Robin Hood, firmly finished, Ridley Scott has been discussing one of his many future projects with MTV. Fortunately, it's the future project that most of us seem to be interested in.
    For Scott has been chatting about the planned Alien prequel, and has revealed for the first time that he wants to have the film ready for 2011, possibly 2012. And he's definitely pressing ahead with the project.
    He told MTV, "As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft. It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film."
    He revealed that the new film is going to be set in 2085, around 30 years before Ellen Ripley. "It's fundamentally about going out to find out ‘who the hell was that Space Jockey? The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle." Furthermore, while Weyland-Yutani isn't quite in existence yet, Weyland is, prior to its merger, and firmly in the terraforming business.
    Scott also revealed that the main character in the new film will be female, and that he's to talk to H R Giger about the alien designs.
    Of the Alien Vs Predator movies, Scott chipped in that "I know it's commerce, but what a pity. I think, therefore, I have to design - or redesign - earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien", which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger."

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/4703...n_prequel.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Ridley Scott reveals details on Alien prequel

mint, now thats a film i'll look forward to. i hated the AvP films, should be good to see scott doing this prequel

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah avp movies were a let down, really looking forwards to this
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The AVP movies got a lot of stick, but I actaully think they were okay for what they were. The viewer had to kind of let go of what they know about the Alien films and the Predator films and just watch it.

If you could do that, and just let the fact you know what the "alien" is and what the "predator" is, the were fine action sci-fi flicks.

I was a fan of the comics, Aliens, Earth War and Aliens vs Predators so to me even tho none of it was really canon, it was good.

A prequel to Alien is really the only thing that would actually work. A sequel would go further down hill. Alien and Aliens were without doubt the best of the series, and there is no way to carry that on now after what has gone on.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's as if Holywood has forgotten how to make a sci-fi horror film based on atmosphere and what you don't see rather than do. Alien always had my stomach in a knot even when the most mundane task was being performed on screen, the atmosphere was palpable throughout! Scary as a motherfucker.

With Scott back in charge I'm hopeful of a return to Alien franchise roots. With HR Giger being consulted about the artwork then I'm sure we're in for some beautifully fucked up locations. Fingers crossed!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cyprus View Post
    It's as if Holywood has forgotten how to make a sci-fi horror film based on atmosphere and what you don't see rather than do. Alien always had my stomach in a knot even when the most mundane task was being performed on screen, the atmosphere was palpable throughout! Scary as a motherfucker.

With Scott back in charge I'm hopeful of a return to Alien franchise roots. With HR Giger being consulted about the artwork then I'm sure we're in for some beautifully fucked up locations. Fingers crossed!
    Agreed!!

Fuck all beats Alien and The Thing IMO (the music in that used to make me shit my pants)!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Only the first film was truly great and that was A: because it was Ridley Scott and B: we had never seen the Alien and Scott played it like Hitchcock and left it for the audience imagination, I saw it on release day in the West End, fantastic. If anyone can pull this off without descending into "more Aliens, we need more Aliens" it'll be him!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .