Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default TESOL type courses..anyone done one?

Im interested in taking one of these with intentions of teaching english in China or similar at some point in the future.

The nearest college that does it is a train ride away for a 3 hour lesson once a week (12 months) which I know would be best, but there are also study at home options. This costs about £1400 I think.

Has anyone taken the basic Tesol course, or a similar one and have any tips on which direction I should go?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: TESOL type courses..anyone done one?

I haven' taken then course or anything.
    But I think you have to be a certain type of person to do study at home work.

I find that sometimes I can learn faster by myself but it is also good to have someone drive you to do the learning and that you can ask questions and they can test you.
    wit woo

Thanks
    Karma Level

I havent taken this course. but I do work for an awarding body that offers these qualifications for FE Colleges and private training providers etc.

I've listed some different info (qualification structures below) - hopefully some of which is helpful.

Cert TEFL (Cert in teaching English as a foreign language)

Guided learning hours: 120 - 140

Qualification overivew:

Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (CertTEFL) is a level 4 qualification (UK NQF equivalent) designed for people who have little or no experience of teaching English as a Foreign Language (EFL) but who wish to embark on a career as an EFL teacher

CertTEFL is a highly practical course designed to provide candidates with the initial skills they need for teaching English to adult students of other languages. Achievement of the CertTEFL will confirm that candidates have a good understanding of the essential aspects of the EFL teacher’s role, can organise and manage effective earning and have developed professionally through on-going reflection and evaluation.
    Frank Gallagher - quote: Where's your Mama gone? Where's your Mama gone?" Used to sing that to the kids when Monica fucked off, never a dry eye in the house, all shot off upstairs howling they did.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You could fly into Japan tomorrow, white face and "can speaky the ingrish" and you will get a job with no teaching history. (same as korea)

It is probably money that you don't need to spend. Although it would be useful as prep for actual teaching..... but then again, it depends on where you work.