Close

Thread: Sky HD Box

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wanted Sky HD Box

Need another Sky HD box for multiroom.

Must be in as good a condition as possible preferably a Pace but deffo not a Thomson.

Thanks in advance.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky HD Box

Sure you don't want a Thompson?? These are the only ones with Component Out and once the PSU is re-capped they are quite reliable?

Will have one for sale by weekend.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Has the PSU been changed/ sorted on yours then?

If so I may be interested ....dont want to throw good money after bad.

My Pace box is suffering with pixellation dont want to buy a Thomson and have it go the same way.

What sort of money you looking for and why you getting rid?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, I've had this Thompson box from launch and in all honesty it has just started failing some recordings, lately will crash and reset very occasionally. These are all symptoms of bad PSU and I have some new caps on standby ready to go into the box.

I gotta a flyer from SKY a couple of months ago offering the new 1TB SKY HD box (Amstrad) for £149 instead of the usual £249. I was tempted and went for the offer only last week, however I regret it a little even though the new box is supposed to be faster and obviously has more storage capacity.

Reason? I have a small 16" LCD screen in the Kitchen, this is fed via HDMI by the Thompson box whilst Component from the same box feeds the 42" Plasma panel in the living room. The Thompson is capable of outputting Scart, HDMI and Component all at the same time.

I did not realise that the new boxes have dropped Component Out to avoid the 'digital hole' syndrome. For this reason, I will have to drive the 42" Plasma via HDMI instead, and drive the kitchens screen using a splitter which cost me £60.

I've not even installed the new box yet, as I have to copy the saved programming from the Thompson HD onto the new boxes HD using Copy+.

I should have just stuck with the Thompson after upgrading the PSU and just upgraded the Hard Drive using the freeware Copy+.

Im going to upgrade the PSU but will be looking for £45 for the unit? Not sure if this price suits you?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah OK m8....thanks for the offer but I'll leave it a few days see if a Pace or Sammy pops up.

By all means let me know once youve upgraded the caps if its all running smoothly again with no probs, and if I get no other offers in a week or two I may reconsider.

Thanks for your response.
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No prob Nibb, I'm always honest about what I sell and realise I may have put you off. I hope you get sorted, but a tip: These HD boxes have just started to appear at car boot sales. I saw three last weekend at our local one. Never asked prices but they must be cheap and you can haggle to boot (pun not intended).

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Aint put me off m8....I knew about the Thomson PSU problem as my boy had one in his room.

As I say change the caps give it a run and if I still aint sorted get back to me...Id be happy to pay £45 for a Thomson in good working order with new capacitors!
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bump as I seem to have missed one earlier!!
    Karl Pilkington

Social Networking Bookmarks