Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Will Sarah Palin run for president?

Will Sarah Palin run for president?

The pundits wonder which way Sarah Palin will go
    With Sarah Palin visiting the key state of Iowa on Friday, speculation is mounting that she is preparing the ground to run for president in 2012. Will she?
    The Iowa caucuses are the first stop on any Republican or Democrat's road to earning their party's nomination for president.
    So the former vice-presidential candidate's attendance at a major Republican fundraising dinner in the state is likely to set tongues wagging.
    But what do the pundits think?

Matthew Continetti

Credentials: Author, The Persecution of Sarah Palin: How the Elite Media Tried to Bring Down a Rising Star.
    Verdict: She will.
    Some think Mrs Palin, former governor of Alaska, has had presidential ambitions for some time
    Pros: I don't think she's made a decision yet, but when you look at some of the moves, the fundraising, endorsements and the political travel it suggests that she is very interested in a presidential [run].
    Palin is an impulsive politician. When she looks over the past two years, her interpretation of events suggests this is her moment. Everything up to this point is leading her to run.
    She has rejected conventional advice. She did it most recently when she resigned her office [as governor of Alaska] in 2009. Most people declared her political career dead. But she is more influential than ever.
    Cons: The main one would be the calculation that she could exert more power over the Republican party as a kingmaker. Also, financial interest would play a part. This is a woman in a family who haven't been wealthy for most of their lives. They came into a great deal of wealth in the last year and they may think they don't want to give it up.
    I'm not certain Palin can win. You look at Republican [presidential] primary fights and you tend to have an establishment and an insurgent candidate. The insurgent tends to lose.
    One thing Palin has going for her is the grassroots of the party wants new faces. They may desire ideological purity over electoral victory.
    If Obama's approval rating continues to fall an elephant would have a chance against him.

David Yepsen

Credentials: Former political editor at Des Moines Register, Iowa. Now director of the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute.
    Verdict: Palin yet to decide.
    There are thousands of Tea Party members who want Mrs Palin as president
    Pros: I don't know if she is going to run. I don't think she probably knows in her own mind. She is doing things to position herself to run if she wants to. She doesn't have to decide now.
    Iowa is where the selection process starts. It sends a signal to the political community that she might be interested, sends a signal to Iowa Republicans that she might be interested.
    Her whole travel schedule, her endorsements, she is building up chits all over the country with Republican constituencies.
    Cons: She has a lot of financial reasons not to decide now. Once you become a candidate for president, speaking and media gigs go. She has every incentive to keep the buzz going.
    She has a steep hill to climb. A lot of people, according to the polls, do not see her as presidential material. She will have to convince a lot of Republican activists.
    There is a difference between being a candidate and being a celebrity.

Shushannah Walshe

Credentials: Co-author, Sarah from Alaska: The Sudden Rise and Brutal Education of a New Conservative Superstar
    Verdict: She will.
    Christine O'Donnell's primary win was a major triumph for Mrs Palin
    Pros: She is making more overt strides. She is going to Iowa. With her big win in Delaware [Christine O'Donnell's surprise win in the Republican Senate primary]. These are all chips she's going to cash in when it comes to 2012.
    It's more about the kind of person she is. She is the kind of person who reacts to what is in front of her, both good and bad. What is in front of her is supporters all over the country who want her to run.
    Cons: She is making a lot of money at what she is doing right now and that would be curbed. Now she can charge a lot for speaking, she has sold a lot of books, she has a contract with Fox. Much of that income would stop.
    She really does shy away from any sort of interviews or contact with the press, except Fox. That would change if she ran for president.
    That is going to be part of the scrutiny. Her leaving the governorship of Alaska is going to be a very hard mountain to climb. People will say running the country is harder than being governor of Alaska.
    She could get the nomination. She has a lot of support in the early states [places like South Carolina that have early primaries] but after that I think it would be very difficult.

Larry Sabato

Credentials: Founder of Sabato's Crystal Ball and director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia.
    Verdict: Palin yet to decide.
    Pros: Obviously the victory by Christine O'Donnell, even though a disaster for the Republican Party, tells Palin the GOP base will override the overwhelming feeling against Palin in the leadership.
    She can win the nomination. She is clearly in the running for the nomination and she might well win it.
    Cons: The [Republican] leadership knows Palin will lose the general election.

Norman Ornstein

Credentials: Research scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.
    Verdict: Impossible to tell. More inclined to believe she will run.
    Pros:
    Sarah Palin has had successes and failures in her endorsements
    She is clearly preparing the ground work to be able to do it. Just like Newt Gingrich, she's doing it in a way that ensures she gets an enormous amount of attention and makes money.
    The one clue out there is the endorsement of Kelly Ayotte, candidate for Senate in New Hampshire [the site of a key early primary]. It is the one place where Palin picked the more moderate candidate over the conservative.
    Cons: It is a lot of work to run. The fact that she gave up the governorship of Alaska would suggest she might be averse to a lot of work.
    It doesn't appear she has a great aptitude for study.
    And what if she runs and loses? It would be a little more damaging to the brand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11319207

I can't believe I live in a world where this is even a consideration, nevermind a serious one. God help us all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Will Sarah Palin run for president?

president or no president, id hit it
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its always been my belief that the President is just a figure head, a puppet from behind which the dark suited men can continue to practice world domination. Look at Obama, a fresh faced idealist who has now been reduced to using the same tired old rhetoric on Iran and N.Korea, and has renegaded on his promises to shut down Guantanamo. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see his solemn face on the news announcing that on his orders, operation Shock and Awe II has been unleashed on <insert Israel's enemy here>.

As a Cairo cabby once told me, 'Egypt will never get a good president.. because if he's any good, he'll be assassinated'
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Its always been my belief that the President is just a figure head, a puppet from behind which the dark suited men can continue to practice world domination. Look at Obama, a fresh faced idealist who has now been reduced to using the same tired old rhetoric on Iran and N.Korea, and has renegaded on his promises to shut down Guantanamo. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see his solemn face on the news announcing that on his orders, operation Shock and Awe II has been unleashed on <insert Israel's enemy here>.

As a Cairo cabby once told me, 'Egypt will never get a good president.. because if he's any good, he'll be assassinated'
    I agree. But with Obama came hope and not just to the 350 million or so Americans. What kind of message does it send to the world if she is elected President? It'll be a dark day if it ever happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I agree. But with Obama came hope and not just to the 350 million or so Americans. What kind of message does it send to the world if she is elected President? It'll be a dark day if it ever happens.
    Just playing devil's advocate, but she is defintely not as dumb as GW Bush and unlike him she didn't use family connections to become State Governor. On the other hand she's definitely a fruitcake as well as a self righteous, sanctimonious cunt who is happy to discriminate against minorities for votes.

Oh fuck it, the constitution should be dissolve and Obama declared Emperor for Perpetuity.. theres clearly nobody better out there.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate, but she is defintely not as dumb as GW Bush and unlike him she didn't use family connections to become State Governor. On the other hand she's definitely a fruitcake as well as a self righteous, sanctimonious cunt who is happy to discriminate against minorities for votes.

Oh fuck it, the constitution should be dissolve and Obama declared Emperor for Perpetuity.. theres clearly nobody better out there.
    Again, I tend to somewhat agree. However, there's a big difference between her and Bush. Bush was no idealist, he just wanted to make money for his and his Dad's pals. To that end he did whatever it took to get into the Whitehouse and told the GOP what they wanted to hear. But this fuck nugget believes what she says and is an idealist. Mixing insanity and idealism? I think history would suggest that's a bad idea.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've never thought Obama was such a big deal, he's a politician ffs!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

A few days/weeks after BP pissed oil all down the side of America and various attempts at fixing it had gone wrong, she tweeted that human efforts had failed and that congress should set aside an entire day for prayer to see if divine intervention would put it right. Somebody who believes that her imaginary friend is going to reach down out of the sky to turn off an oil well should not be in charge of the biggest army in the world.

This is also a suitable occasion to wheel out these old golden videos again. Some of her loyal followers interviewed on the street:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TieJp2ZcQao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk

I don't condone that sort of journalism as they could have filmed for days and edited it down to just those idiots but it's entertaining enough to watch.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

She is a cunt. She would never get the nomination to run. Even the fucking GOP can't stand her. Cunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk