Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default My next project?? suggestions please...

My next project….

As some of you know I work onboard a ship, usually in the evenings I have a lot of time to myself – and tend to think up little projects I can whittle away my time on. A few months ago I made a one off V8 coffee table, the reason I say one off is that mine has remote controlled lights in each of the cylinders, which not only change colour, but can change effect also. All in all this table cost me 450 quid to make…

More recently I made a camshaft lampstand, the camshaft came from said coffee table, the base is a pump cover from the ships main Wartsilla engines (a spare, don’t worry ;-) ). All the relevant materials and tools were utlilised onboard, both have turned out extremely well and ive now turned my sights to my next project…

any ideas what it could be? suggestions most welcome..

heres a few pics and videos of my work...

VIDEO to coffee table...
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...v=418630626178

The lampshade isnt finished and the top section isnt exactly 100% but this will be covered by the lampshade when i put it on....
    Last edited by CallmeGoose; 7th March 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My next project?? suggestions please...

I know your pain mate, ship boredom is hellish. I made an external combustion engine last trip - turned it all down on the lathe and machined an a-frame for it. Pistons were made from an LT FW P/P shaft, heat exchanger from a damaged titanium FWG plate and flywheel from a sewage vacuum pump end casing You can find loads of plans online.

What kinda main engine you got there? We're running a Sulzer 12RT-Flex 96c so the heads are pretty massive. The water jacket o-rings make for a lethal catapult from the poop deck. Other things i've made include: various crossbows and air guns, a generator piston ashtray, hubcentric wheel spacers for my car, and a sand blaster. Although we used the sand blaster for cleaning the sea strainers so not really a personal project.

The table and coffee table must've been a fair weight...how did you get them home? I've never once managed to take any of my inventions home - always got long flights to contend with.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

we have 3 wartsilla 6l20 gensets, and 2 DC prop motors. gotta love diesel electric propulsion, quiet as hell.

the most of the engine table (ie block) was done at home, and the wiring, lighting etc, all premade on the ship. The camshaft lampstand, was made entirely on the ship, and infact im signing off in 5 days and it weighs 6kg so im gonna chance my luck in my luggage and and see if i can get it home.

on the MOD ship i was on we made a beer can launcher.... now that was fun.

funny story about a sea strainer... we were in aberdeen just after christmas, found the remains of a fecking christmas tree in the main sea strainer, someone must have thrown the cunt into the river haha!

PS : Up for my 2nds ticket in Jan! proper shitting myself! any advice?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was well pissed off when someone nicked an alfa v6 block from outside my house - hadn't made up my mind whether I wanted to slowly do a 3.8 conversion or turn it to a coffee table

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post

PS : Up for my 2nds ticket in Jan! proper shitting myself! any advice?
    Know your marpol, OWS operation & ORB regulations. I got caned on that and paperwork for surveys as the examiner was an ex Flag State Surveyor. Prick of a man. The only engineering work i had to cover was a full unit overhaul - liner & all.

It's me that should be asking you for advice though tbh, i'm off to a newbuild drillship soon with a new company and have only ever sailed on slow speed two strokes

Gies a shout if you need any help mate - i'll be online for a few weeks yet.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if you have msn add me , kamikazi929@hotmail.com, im on most nights. i spent my cadetship on 2 containers, then when i got my ticket moved onto and mainly 4 strokes, ferries, superyachts, research vessels....

Thanks
    Karma Level

love the stuff mate, very cool indeed