Close

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    DF VIP Member
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    9,097
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked:        976
    Karma Level
    1068

    scam Possible scam, advice needed.

    Just over a month a go our company received an email requesting prices for 2000 units of 3 different items which came to just under £1k. Once given the prices the 'customer' said they would like to pay by cheque. I was suspicious by this point as the 3 items they had requested were in the same place on the same page of our website so suspecting a bounced/fake cheque scam told them that they would need to pay by bank transfer.

    Now for the past month we've received regular emails asking if the money has been received yet (it hasn't). I've tried asking if the payment is coming from a UK bank to try and get more information but had my queries ignored.

    I'm almost certain there's something dodgy going on here, possibly an overpayment scam but while I understand how this works with fake cheques I can't see how it would work with a bank transfer and I've not heard of scammers being willing to switch payment method like this before.

    It's getting on my nerves now but we can't exactly tell the 'customer' to shove it on the off chance that they are legit.

    Anyone know what the scam might be?

  2. #2
    DF Probation Goldberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Landaaaan!
    Posts
    14,466
    Thanks
    1,333
    Thanked:        1,558
    Karma Level
    1178

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Can you not check the IP address from the header of the email to see which country it has come from and if it corresponds to the country they want it sending to?

    I would be tempted to basically tell them no further communication until they have some form of confirmation...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

  3. #3
    DF Super Moderator DJ Overdose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    On da decks.
    Posts
    10,397
    Thanks
    1,082
    Thanked:        2,477
    Karma Level
    1211

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Well legit or not, not telling you where/what bank the money is coming from is a cunts trick.

    Don't know of a scam like it, but if they are being like that do you really, really want customers like that?

    Fuck em off, IMO


    DJ OD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  4. #4
    DF VIP Member Bald Bouncer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,331
    Thanks
    4,301
    Thanked:        5,768
    Karma Level
    1284

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Now for the past month we've received regular emails asking if the money has been received yet (it hasn't). I've tried asking if the payment is coming from a UK bank to try and get more information but had my queries ignored.
    Might be because they are waiting to hack someone's account to do an online transfer or they have already but has been flagged and didn't get through hence their asking if it had.

  5. #5
    DF VIP Member
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    9,097
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked:        976
    Karma Level
    1068

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Can you not check the IP address from the header of the email to see which country it has come from and if it corresponds to the country they want it sending to?

    I would be tempted to basically tell them no further communication until they have some form of confirmation...
    It appears to be coming from the UK which is also where they want the products shipped to. The address they have given for delivery is residential.

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post

    Don't know of a scam like it, but if they are being like that do you really, really want customers like that?
    No, but without evidence that it is a scam I don't want to cause offence and can't think of a way of telling them that we don't want their business without doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Might be because they are waiting to hack someone's account to do an online transfer or they have already but has been flagged and didn't get through hence their asking if it had.
    I wondered this myself, that they might just keep trying fraudulent payments and hoping one goes through.

  6. #6
    DF Jedi flik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ToyTown
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked:        142
    Karma Level
    353

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Well haven't you divulged to them Your Account details for the transfer ? Maybe that is the scam to get your details etc.

  7. #7
    DF VIP Member
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    9,097
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked:        976
    Karma Level
    1068

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    Well haven't you divulged to them Your Account details for the transfer ? Maybe that is the scam to get your details etc.
    I don't think so, there's nothing they can do with just the account details, I checked with the bank. Even if that was the scam why would they keep emailing to check if we've received funds?

  8. #8
    Argyll's Apprentice TwoPlAnKs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    5,190
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked:        0
    Karma Level
    638

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    I would be looking up their names in the directory to try to find something that links together their name with their address just to be sure you have some concrete details on them, and possibly google the bollocks out of every fact you have about them - even searching for a telephone number might turn up something on some website.

    Probably an obvious fact but make sure you keep a hold of every email too, and possibly write down notes on times and the rough discussion from all phone calls.

    I think maybe a bit too tin-hat though, all they've really done is asked to buy stuff and asked to pay by cheque. If you are suspicious just because of the items being on the same page then think of it as one of those things like the phone ringing when you happen to be thinking about somebody - it would be stranger if it never happened.

  9. #9
    DF VIP Member
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    9,097
    Thanks
    454
    Thanked:        976
    Karma Level
    1068

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    I think maybe a bit too tin-hat though, all they've really done is asked to buy stuff and asked to pay by cheque. If you are suspicious just because of the items being on the same page then think of it as one of those things like the phone ringing when you happen to be thinking about somebody - it would be stranger if it never happened.
    You'd know if you've paid £1k by bank transfer or not, it's not the kind of thing you should have to keep checking to see if it's happened and if you had made payment and it hadn't been received I'd expect a bit more concern than just trying again a few days later.

  10. #10
    DF VIP Member
    Detector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Grim North
    Posts
    7,657
    Thanks
    2,686
    Thanked:        2,803
    Karma Level
    1157

    Default Re: Possible scam, advice needed.

    first thing is to let us know what area they live in, im sure some df'ers live near them and can check it out for you. if they are near me i dont mind
    A wise man once said " "

Similar Threads

  1. [HELP] Scam number - already billed. Advice?
    By doughboy in forum The Dog and Duck
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th September 2012, 01:25 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd March 2012, 03:05 PM
  3. Advice Needed
    By karlos130 in forum Your Photos & Artwork
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20th February 2007, 12:24 AM
  4. new pc needed for family member - advice needed please
    By Northernbloke in forum PC Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th March 2006, 02:16 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •