Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Any mountain bikers in?

Just got myself a new bike on the cycle to work scheme.
    It's a GT Avalanche Hydro. Currently got road tyres on it as most of my riding is on the road but have some off road tyres for it as well.
    A few of us from work are going to Llandegla in a few weeks but does anyone know of any decent trails around Wigan/Bolton/North West?
    Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any mountain bikers in?

Sorry, not familiar with that area. But if you fancy a trip anywhere for a few days, I'd recommend exploring the Forest of Dean if you want some decent tracks (loads of camping places). Ignore the local handbooks and the "do not cycle" signs - theres some great places to explore. Stay away from the family treks and you can have a real blast - terrain of all types. I used to live near and made many trips a year to explore - some of my favourite tracks are round there - give me a PM if you want some pointers.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Would like to have some info on this myself, I usually go up to oldham or to wrexham and just pootle around there..

Bike I have is a Haro Werks

As for tyres.. I learnt my lesson the other day!!!!.. I left a set of Tioga off roaders on and rode home from Moel Famau in North Wales to Liverpool... when I got home both tyres were ruined... all frayed on the walls and pretty much useless now.. Wouldnt mind but they were only about two weeks old lol.
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thetford, Thetford, Thetford! Great trails there, or if you willing to go abit further, Whistler in BC.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There are loads of trails in Gisburn Forest which isn't too far away. Bolton eat you've got Rivington Pike which is popular with bikers. You can also do a good loop from Tocholes over to the moors above Darwen and back. If you fancy some lazy downhill get a mate with a van and drive up to the top of winter hill near belmont and get them to meet you at the bottom and take turns driving. You'll be fucked after 4 runs

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I`m lucky to have tons of great trials local to me.

I live in Swansea and locally (within 3 mile) you have Kilvey Hill which has DH and XC runs. Theres is the Gower penninsular, which has a lovely XC loop, and Clyne Country Park which has it all...XC, DH, Loops, pumptracks, dirt jumps, BMX track and as it happens, some geezer named Rowan Sorrell has just been drafted in by the council to trial build. I think its a year long project.

Further afield we have access to Brecon, Afan, Brechfa, Cwmcarn and I know there are more but cant think as only just woke up

Motto is, move to South Wales...it rocks for MTB.
    Recent Mac convert...

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I started riding dirt trails and jumps with a little basic freeride last month, picked up a new Marin wolf ridge 6.7 yesterday which is bloody superb! Not in the area you asked for but there are some nice short fast trails and sections close to me in Danbury, Essex. I have yet to go thetford but will be soon. Tale a look at chicksands on google, not been there yet. Planning some trips to Wales and south France next year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/

Look on here it has some suggested routes, have used it for some in hayfield and around Kinder Scout.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
    Thetford, Thetford, Thetford! Great trails there, or if you willing to go abit further, Whistler in BC.
    Thetford... flat as a pancake... what I seen of it anyways... NI training done there
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

got a scott spark 50. done llandegla last year. was well worth the trip. loved it. you should take a ride over leigh quarry in bacup. quite hard to find but a great ride. Did the figure 8 loop round near gisburn a few months ago. good trail. only downside was at north point of the track there is a narly little loop full of jumps and steep declines but it was closed off due to the recent bad weather that made it unrideable.

wigan might be a bit far but if you can get yourself down to leisure lakes bike store in bury they have a ride out every week in an evening. the staff ride out with anyone who wants to tag along. any stage from beginner to expert

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys.
    I'd thought about how good Rivvi would be last time I walked up it. Will see if I can do Bacup this weekend.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Delemere forest is great and has a downhill track with jumps, bumps etc. For a nice chilled ride, do the canal at Acton Bridge.
    I am declairing war!
    PS3: tawnyboy