Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Papal visit: thousands protest against Pope in London

Papal visit: thousands protest against Pope in London

Protesters are expected to march to Downing Street

Thousands are marching in London to protest against the Pope's visit.
    Organisers of the Protest the Pope event say they want to highlight his stance on controversial subjects, including the ordination of women.
    Sex abuse and Catholic opposition to contraception have also been criticised.
    The march set off towards Whitehall where a rally will be held with speakers including human rights activist Peter Tatchell.
    The event took place as Catholics gathered in Hyde Park for an evening prayer vigil led by the Pope.
    Organisers say 11,000 people took part in the rally; however, police say they are unable to confirm this figure.
    Among the protesters was comedian Al Murray.
    He said: "Like a lot of people I am a perplexed that it is a state visit.
    "The Pope's opposition to condoms kills people. It is all very well him lecturing us on morals but he should look at his own organisation's view."
    Speakers at the rally included the human rights lawyer Geoffrey Robertson and atheist scientist and author of The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.

On its website, Protest The Pope says it opposes Pope Benedict's state visit because "he is going to use (it) to tell us how we all should live and to interfere in our laws. No other head of state would be allowed to do this".
    In particular, the movement criticises the Vatican for:

• "opposing the distribution of condoms and so increasing large families in poor countries and the spread of Aids"
    • "promoting segregated education"
    • "denying abortion to even the most vulnerable women"
    • "opposing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender rights, including universal decriminalisation of homosexuality"
    • "failing to address the many cases of abuse of children within its own organisation"

While accepting Pope Benedict's right to visit the UK and to address his supporters, the Protest The Pope campaign opposes the fact that it is, in part, financed by UK taxpayers.

'Critical of policies'

Actor Sir Ian McKellen took part in the protest

Mr Tatchell told the BBC News Channel: "We profoundly disagree with the Pope's opposition to women's rights, gay equality and the use of condoms to prevent the spread of HIV.
    "This is not an attack on Catholic people or the Catholic faith. We are critical of certain policies of the Pope.
    "When he says no woman is fit to be a priest, that's an insult to the whole of female humanity.
    "When he says a husband must not use a condom to protect his wife from infection - even if he has HIV - that's irresponsible.
    "And when he says that all gay people possess a tendency towards evil, that flies in the face of the Christian gospel of love and compassion.
    "We know that many Catholics share our concerns. Only 5% of Catholics in this country agree with the Pope's ban on contraception. Only 11% of Catholics think that homosexuality is morally wrong.
    "So there is a great depth of Catholic opinion which is in disagreement with this Pope and we support those Catholic people."

'Accept traditional values'

In response to the Pope's public apology over child abuse within the Catholic Church made during a Mass at Westminster Cathedral, Mr Tatchell said: "The Pope keeps on apologising for the failings of everyone but himself."
    Ahead of the march, protesters heard from a victim of clerical sex abuse.
    Sue Cox, 63, from Gaydon, Warwickshire, told the gathered crowds that the Pope's visit was "egotistical, arrogant and selfish".
    She said: "How dare he suggest that secularism does not accept or tolerate traditional values?"

She added that her own experience from the Catholic Church was "pain, anger, fear, terror, disgust, lies, shame, violence, sneering, disdain, and disempowerment."
    John Hide, one of the people attending the protest, told BBC News: "I am very much against the taxpayer having to pay for the Pope's visit.
    "I have also just found out that the Queen has to wear black when she meets the Pope as a sign of deference. That is incredible."
    Father Christopher Jamieson, a Benedictine monk and the director of the Catholic Church's National Office for Vocation, said the protest was part of living in a democratic country.
    He said people had every right to protest but "we feel he has been received very fairly and very warmly.
    "It's been a great affirmation not only for the Holy Father and church, but also for the country, that it's political system is so capable of welcoming into the political platform a religious voice whose voice is not always welcomed to all parts of society.
    "That too is a great expression of democracy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11355258
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Papal visit: thousands protest against Pope in London

Says it all

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Says it all

Nice couple of Nazi salutes on the back row must have taken him back to his youth

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's crazy: a national deficit exceeding £150bn; services and jobs being cut left, right and centre to save money; country in disarray as a result; and they spend £10-20m on the Pope's visit, which nobody seems to want.

Absolute madness!

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

There was a crowd in town today and some people we're going on about god and handing out leaflets whilst this guy ranted about 'punishment' if you didn't follow the Lords ways... some others were booing etc..Woman tried to give me a leaflet and I said no, she said something like I may learn something about heaven and hell.. quick as a flash I said ''once I can go on google maps and peruse the locations, then I'll take an interest''
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

The LGBT people have had a go at Nick Griffin/BNP, The Pope/Catholic Church, but can anyone tell me if they have had a go at the Islamic faith. We all know Islam is very anti-gay. Will Peter Tatchell and his supporters go over to Iran and protest against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad etc. As gay people are hanged in that country etc.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Agent47 View Post
    The LGBT people have had a go at Nick Griffin/BNP, The Pope/Catholic Church, but can anyone tell me if they have had a go at the Islamic faith. We all know Islam is very anti-gay. Will Peter Tatchell and his supporters go over to Iran and protest against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad etc. As gay people are hanged in that country etc.
    Get a grip
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will Peter Tatchell and his supporters go over to Iran and protest against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad etc. As gay people are hanged in that country etc.
    So what you're saying is that Peter Tatchell and his Merry Men should be sent to Iran to be strung up?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    So what you're saying is that Peter Tatchell and his Merry Men should be sent to Iran to be strung up?
    Nope all Im saying is why is he not protesting against muslims or is he too scared because of a muslim backlash. If he is going to have a go at one religion then why does he not have a go at another religion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

They just said £10 million is the current cost...bloody hell. To me that's something I don't want coming out of my taxes!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought it was £10 million on policing alone!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope all Im saying is why is he not protesting against muslims or is he too scared because of a muslim backlash. If he is going to have a go at one religion then why does he not have a go at another religion.
    If you had half a brain you would have noticed him protesting about much more than the Catholic Church over the years!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Holy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    Yep that's correct. What a waste of fucking money

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It started as 8 Million Catholic Church, 8 Million Tax payer. Last estimate was 8 Million Catholic Church. 12-14 million Taxpayer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not a fan either, but they could spunk 50mil up the wall and it would barely increase our overall deficit at the moment.

Will Peter Tatchell and his supporters go over to Iran and protest against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad etc.
    No, but if Imadinnerjacket comes here then they might.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    I'm not a fan either, but they could spunk 50mil up the wall and it would barely increase our overall deficit at the moment.

No, but if Imadinnerjacket comes here then they might.
    Quite, he just doesn't get it though!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Richard Dawkins gave a speech at the protest in London yesterday (September 18th). Nice to see someone speak sense after these few days of mass insanity and cringeworthy worship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0kFU7IfPM

Transcript of the speech
    http://richarddawkins.net/articles/5...my-of-humanity
    Last edited by -AMO-; 19th September 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    If Circles were Squares and the Sea was the Sky...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Will Peter Tatchell and his supporters go over to Iran and protest against Mahmoud Ahmadinejad etc.

Sorry, have I missed the fact we've all been teleported to Vatican city and Tatchell is actually protesting there? Oh, no - he's actually protesting in his home country, just like he was against the BNP etc.

Lets make some more wildly inaccurate comparisons like will Richard Dawkins be going to Iran to protest against Islam as it's as likely as any other religion...

or how about female priests going to Iran to complain that they wouldn't be allowed to run as president?