Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default stuck in recovery mode loop when trying to update to official 2.2

hi

tried to root my phone yesterday using unrevoked so i could update to froyo 2.2 as it wasn't yet available officially.

anyway i didn't think it'd worked as from what i googled if it had i should of had an app called super user in my apps, which i hadn't.

so typically when i rebooted my phone this morning it offered me the officail update, so i donwloaded the update etc, but when i install it it comes up with "backin up data to sd card" or something along those lines then boots to the recovery screen:erf

so i reboot try again, and the same happens again.

any ideas where i should go from here guys as i don't want to make things any worse

i just want to update to the official one now.
    :kissass

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: stuck in recovery mode loop when trying to update to official 2.2

Surely if you can't get the official update to happen you can get some tech support?
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Are you sure it is the official release and not an update to the version you have installed...?

Thanks
    Karma Level

think i made it sound worse than it is with my pervious post, sorry. when the phone reboots its fine its when i try and install the update again that it goes into recovery mode.

the phones a t mobile one i bought from ebay so not sure how much customer support i can get mate tbh:-/

i didn't install another version mate, just ran unrevoked (which i thopught hadn't worked tbh), is there any other way to tell if its rooted? or a way of unrooting?

also i'm using an o2 sim in there as its unlocked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

go to the market and install ROM manager.

I would then recommend going to Modaco and installing the R8 ROM. Its Froyo 2.2 with a lot of improvements.

If ROM manager fails then you are not yet rooted, just go to unrevoked and start that process again.

FOR INFO:

Once rooted, you WILL NOT be able to install the official OTA upgrade as the sig will be wrong.

HTH
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

Thanks
    Karma Level

installed rom manager and it won't run, tells me i haven't got super user etc installed:-/

just going to try unrevoked again on the laptop starting from scratch following this guide here as i did before.

thing that confused me then and now are lines 3 and 4

3- Install HTC Sync if you have not already.
    4 - If you have it, uninstall HTC Sync (leave HTC Driver Installer)

does that mean install it then uninstall it? thats the only bit i wasn't sure on to begin with:-/

cheers for the help guys much appreciated

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ThE gOg View Post
    installed rom manager and it won't run, tells me i haven't got super user etc installed:-/

just going to try unrevoked again on the laptop starting from scratch following this guide here as i did before.

thing that confused me then and now are lines 3 and 4

3- Install HTC Sync if you have not already.
    4 - If you have it, uninstall HTC Sync (leave HTC Driver Installer)

does that mean install it then uninstall it? thats the only bit i wasn't sure on to begin with:-/

cheers for the help guys much appreciated
    If I remember right when you have installed HTC Sync you will have both Sync and Driver listed as sepperate programs in the uninstaller in Conrol Panel and you just uninstall Sync HTH

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorted, I'm now defo rooted I hadn't uninstalled sync before, sailed thru after that.

Going to install the latest modaco tomorrow.

Thanks again guys

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ThE gOg View Post
    Sorted, I'm now defo rooted I hadn't uninstalled sync before, sailed thru after that.

Going to install the latest modaco tomorrow.

Thanks again guys
    Have a look at this rom, it's a bit good
    360 ID: Symate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always used Modaco ROMS but going to give this one a go later
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Simate View Post
    Have a look at this rom, it's a bit good
    What does the deodex stuff mean.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post
    What does the deodex stuff mean.
    I haven't a clue but Googled and found this...

Simple explanations.

Basically means that you can theme the rom... allowing for custom battery meters/ and other things like transparent task menu.

In simple terms it's sort of like decompiling an Android application so you can take it apart and change things about it.

Technical explanations.

"Odex vs Deodex
    Theres plenty of debate over what is faster/better to use, im not going to take sides in this one. This is just information about what the differences in the two are, try for yourself.

Deodex basically takes the odex file and stuffs it into the apk as a classes.dex. First boot it dissembles the file into /dalvik-cache (i believe). Now there is basically 2 copies of the odex, one in the apk one in cache. This makes it "portable". This allows modders to work on the apks & easily change stuff. If you want themes or stuff like lockscreen fixes you MUST use Deodex.

Odex is how things come stock. It takes up less room but making modifications or taking apks from other roms is hard. You cannot use themes with this version!! To see odex in dcupdater you must go to menu -> configuration -> rom update settings -> display all roms & display experimental roms. Its marked experimental to avoid confusion because themes in dcupdater will not work with it.

Odex - 374 MB free after fresh wipe without setting sync accts up
    Deodex - 329 MB free after fresh wipe without setting sync accts up"

This is the best explanation possible and it is posted by TrevE over on the xda dev forums.

De-odex: Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.
    360 ID: Symate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Simate View Post
    I haven't a clue but Googled and found this...

Simple explanations.

Basically means that you can theme the rom... allowing for custom battery meters/ and other things like transparent task menu.

In simple terms it's sort of like decompiling an Android application so you can take it apart and change things about it.

Technical explanations.

"Odex vs Deodex
    Theres plenty of debate over what is faster/better to use, im not going to take sides in this one. This is just information about what the differences in the two are, try for yourself.

Deodex basically takes the odex file and stuffs it into the apk as a classes.dex. First boot it dissembles the file into /dalvik-cache (i believe). Now there is basically 2 copies of the odex, one in the apk one in cache. This makes it "portable". This allows modders to work on the apks & easily change stuff. If you want themes or stuff like lockscreen fixes you MUST use Deodex.

Odex is how things come stock. It takes up less room but making modifications or taking apks from other roms is hard. You cannot use themes with this version!! To see odex in dcupdater you must go to menu -> configuration -> rom update settings -> display all roms & display experimental roms. Its marked experimental to avoid confusion because themes in dcupdater will not work with it.

Odex - 374 MB free after fresh wipe without setting sync accts up
    Deodex - 329 MB free after fresh wipe without setting sync accts up"

This is the best explanation possible and it is posted by TrevE over on the xda dev forums.

De-odex: Apk files have respective odexes that devs use to supposedly save space. Deodexing means you convert it back to a .dex file and put it back inside the apk. This allows you to easily replace files (not having to worry about odexes), but the main point was to deodex services.jar so that you can change all text to different colors (such as the clock color to white) and to deodex services.jar, you need to deodex everything.
    My head hurts!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Eh.....?

So Deodex means that you can change more settings...?
    I think..!

Thanks
    Karma Level

quick update, ive installed the latest modaco and all appears to be well

do i need to update the radio for this rom?