Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Hard Drive Transfer Problems

Can anyone help? I bought a 120gb MS HD today, pre-owned. I plugged it into the Xbox and formatted it as it had the previous owners profile on. Then I wanted to transfer the contents from my existing 20gb HD to the new 120gb one.

The guides on the net seemed to say I needed a hard drive transfer disc which i dont have, i already borrowed the transfer cable though. But I found the memory option in system settings so I thought I could transfer that way. But when I connected the 120gb to the transfer cable it said it was a memory unit with 16gb free? Anyway I tried transferring hoping it would resolve itself, but now when I put the new 120gb HD onto the xbox, its saying "No Storage Device Found". Ive tried it on another console and its saying the same thing too.

Any idea's?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hard Drive Transfer Problems

Ok this is weird. It won't recognise the 120gb HD if I plug it ontop of the xbox. But if I connect it to the transfer cable, it will recognise it, although as a 16gb drive (it now has all my content from the 20gb hd i transferred from).

Any idea's anyone??

Thanks
    Karma Level

my guess is a faulty 120gb drive m8, if you still have all the content on the 20gb try reformatting the 120gb in the xbox again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think the HD was faulty as it was my mates, it still had his profile on it etc and he would have told me. I've been reading up on it, and so far I haven't found a fix. Some say it could be a faulty Transfer Cable that has caused it. Other say something went wrong when transferring the data across.

Im a noob to all this as you can tell, but by the sounds of it, the 120gb HD is now formatted to Fat32 and because of that the 360 will only recognize it as a 16gb memory unit as that is the largest size it will take, hence it will only read as a USB device/memory unit.

I don't care about the data, I just want the 120gb drive working, but by the sounds of it I may have bricked it :/ I tried reformatting the 120gb again when connected to the transfer cable, but same thing happened... 16gb

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the last time i did data tranfer you needed the disk with it other wise as you say it thinks its a usb stick.