Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Recent wedding shot.

It's been a while since I posted anything on here so thought it best to share a shot with you all, although most may have seen this on my flickr thread.

So the set up for the shot took some tweaking to get it right as it was taken about 3 hours before sunset and I really wanted a wow shot for the couple. We couldn't wait any longer as the evening do was starting. So my assistant (see below in spoiler) taped three speedlites together and off we went. We had two 580 exii and one 430 exii all firing at full power into a bounce brolly, from working out the guide numbers etc etc I knew how far away he had to stand at each f stop. Then it was a case of minor tweaks as I took each frame. Some looked ok, some too hot, others like this one were bang on. Have now got a tri flash bracket on order and new brolly as that one blew inside out...

Spoiler:

Last edited by [wingnut]; 21st September 2010 at 06:05 AM.
    My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.
    My Websites - My Flickr :: My Blog :: My Site

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Recent wedding shot.

haha, loving the flash setup .

Matt you really do offer a superb alternative perspective to the standard wedding image. I mean lets face it, some people just want the boring shots. The stock images etc. To be able to offer them something completely away from the standard stuff is excellent.

I really do like what you're doing here.

With this image, I like the composition. Having the bride and groom so far left in the frame works for me because it breaks the rules and I think the extra space to the right draws you right to the main subject. Again, love where you're going with the lighting. I think the only minor niggle for me is the brides dress seems a little under-exposed but if that is exactly what you were wishing to achieve then disregard my comment

Good stuff mate, innovative and exciting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers DP, that is very much appreciated mate. A lot of people have said similar things to me about my style and it's reassuring to me that shooting from the heart is offering something a little different that clients want. Obviously we do a few informal family shots but the rest of the time I am always on the look out for a different take on any given situation during the day. Lighting plays a big part for me. I try to use as much natural light as possible but mix it up with some funky off camera stuff at least once during the day.
    Back to the shot, I have a few where the dress is fully exposed but the spill onto the beach is very distracting and takes a lot away from the shot. Having the heads on the flash zoomed to 105mm gave me this nice slash of light out of the bounce brolley which when under exposed slightly gave this great spot effect on their faces which i loved. Combined with the slight shadow just tops this shot off me.

Here's a set up shot from the other weekend, this time bare flash and all shot ttl.

And another shot, this one still needs a little work in CS5 to even out the exposure across the front row, but you get the picture, as such. This couple were so much fun on the day. Pretty much up for most suggestions. This was taken with 3 flashes too, one camera left high, one camera right high and master on camera with e/v comp of 3 stops.

My Kit - A camera thingy or two, some lenses, two eye's and a heap of imagination.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Great shots, Matt i am gutted that i could not come to help in Anglesea the other week, even more now i realise that there was gaffer tape and wet feet involved...!

I love the style that you have created for your self, this is how to stand out....!

Thanks
    Karma Level

really creative style mate, liking it a lot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your ideas are super m8, really unusual to see such diversity in the wedding genre.

Paul.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That first one's a cracker mate, really like how well the bride stands out against the dark surrounding. I guess a lot of it comes down to the chats you have with the couple beforehand, as i'm sure there's still a lot of couples out there who will want the "traditional" type shots as well. It's great that people are shifting to new and original styles though, i've seen a few of these "trash the dress" shots around which are stunning, have you done any of those?

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Two more cracking shots Matt .

Ya know mate, I think the first one with your other tog in the shot would be brilliant in an album or at least a shot the bride and groom could have because the added humour of the trousers rolled up adds even more to what would only be a fantastic full set of shots

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for the comments and fedback guys, much appreciated. Proofs are now with clients and simple response from them tonight was "WOW, love them all" Think that's job well done then!

@Belial - No not done a proper trash the dress shoot yet, but looking forward to this one, trying to get local MUA involved too. Should be fun providing weathr and sea temp hold out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

great shots.nice & sharp,
    but is that tim minchen with the flash...lol

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Recent wedding shot.

really like the first shot mate...I love the use of off camera flash and it's something I'm gona try very soon at my weddings.The framing is spot on also and as already stated against all the rules but really makes this shot for me.
    how many shots did it take ? Please don't tell me just one lol

I have a wedding to do in December which finishes around 3.30 so should be getting dark by then,it's in a really old church etc etc.

Any tips on shooting that mate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by [wingnut] View Post

Got anymore shots of the women on the far right? Nice shots mate!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i love the jumping shot.

Your ideas are so unique and your knowledge of off cam flash is amazing! wish i knew how to do it!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by parodyuk View Post
    i love the jumping shot.

Your ideas are so unique and your knowledge of off cam flash is amazing! wish i knew how to do it!!

There are tonnes of resources on the net for strobist photography and lighting in general which covers off camera flash but also, it's always worth while playing about with off camera flash to see what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah start with strobist.com and go from there, could list a whole heap of other people, Joe Macnally, Zack Arias, etc etc but start with David Hoby nd progress, also as I did, just get out there with apictue in mind and go create. Helps if you go with someone who knows what there doing at first as they can advice. My assistant is killer with off camera flash principles, but duff in practice, so we always sit and chat for hours before the day what set up we will use, light position, modifiers etc etc. It's a great partnership, I come up with a scenario I want to shoot, he offers solutions then I put them into practice with my own twist.

Cheer for the feedback guys, it's very much appreciated. Going to have to have my wits about me with tomorrows wedding as they what the sun set shots again but this time as the fireworks go off. So no double takes and serious amount of pressure. Best get sketching then me thinks.