Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Brilliant Service from BT

Last night we noticed the internet slowed right down, it was downloading at 0.2mbit on a 8mbit connection.

After ruling out every single thing in the house, we gave BT internet support people at phone at 11pm last night and they said they would do a line test and call us back in 15 minutes. I know people who have worked in BT call centres and I know that this can be bollocks, but sure enough they said there was a copper line fault and that they could do nothing more until the line people got in during the morning.

Dad phoned the line people this morning and they said their SLA meant it had to be fixed by Friday and that they would get an engineer on the case. A few hours later, we did a speed test and the internet was twice as fast as it was before it broke in the first place so whatever was broken has obviously been broken to some extent for a while.

We're now getting over 5mbit on speed tests when BT say the line can only do 6mbit due to distance from exchange. That's pretty good in my book.

Considering all the horror stories about BT taking months to fix problems and achieving nothing I am really impressed. They've had some problems lately but they've obviously really turned things around.

Just thought I'd share some positivity
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Brilliant Service from BT

i had the same help with them regarding passwords and bills, was all sorted in 5 mins. some one at BT has kicked arse somewere cause their call centres were really bad

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wish I could share your enthusiasm - at work for sites we used to use Zen who normally are ok, but we had two sites with faults with the copper last week and it took a few days for a BT engineer to show.

However, we changed one of the lines at our stores from Zen to BT as this is required by our main head office isp (exponential e) to link that site into our vpls network.

The zen line we left syncs at around 7.5MB download and is an old ADSL 2 service that hasn't yet been upgraded. The new BT one is supposedly ADSL 2+ but we're only getting 0.5Mb which a few of the online checks also confirm. So far, not very impressed with BT.

Also I remember some fun we had when BT allowed a 3rd party to terminate one of our phone lines on another project, then they failed to install a usable service (they only installed up to a frame room that only BT were allowed access to) but they still did their best to charge us for the full 12 months after they installed the unusable service.

Something I've learnt the hard way is that companies will often heavily promote great sla's at point of sale, but real life doesn't always match up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BT suck big style. Customer service especially for their Joke Broadband is truly fucking awful/pathetic/embarrassing etc etc etc .......

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nice to hear a good report about an isp for a change
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flik View Post
    BT suck big style. Customer service especially for their Joke Broadband is truly fucking awful/pathetic/embarrassing etc etc etc .......
    We did call them at a quiet time I guess but the call centre guy I spoke to was really good. I'd already done everything he was going to suggest but he was more than happy to accept that and move along without sticking to the procedure like a drone, and he seemed very efficient. The call back 10 minutes later with the results of the line test and the instructions to get it fixed were spot on, and that was all BT Broadband support were involved with.

The next call to the line people the next day was fine too, they told us what our SLA was over the phone and calculated the latest possible time it would be fixed from that (6pm Friday) which I thought was really good. I'd certainly not want to tell a customer who didn't even know they had an SLA what their SLA was if there was a reasonable chance of missing it completely.

I expected this to drag on for weeks and was a bit gutted when it broke, but I'm genuinely impressed now.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally, I think there is the factor of who you actually get to talk to on a CS line.. be it BT or any other company.

I've worked in I.T field support services for years and know within my own organisation of who actually gives a shit about customers and SLA's etc. as opposed to those who haven't a clue or just don't really care so don't go the extra mile to look for a resolution. Probably why some companies have higher turn-over of staff than others.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nah bt are all wankers! I moved house, pre arranged 2 weeks earlier for the line to be transfered to the new house, it wasnt on when I got there. They left it connected at my old house for 3 weeks and sent me a bill for £400 cos the twats who bought my house kept phoning outer mongolia! It took 6 weeks to get my line connected, no internet so called em to see why, they said it would be on the next day....the next day came and they cut the line off!!!!!!!!!!!! It then took me another 8 weeks to get them to reconnect the line, still no internet so went with BE and was on in 3 days!

Worst part is I only moved half a mile and stayed on the same exchange. I run my business from home and almost went bust because of their stupidity
    You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be all right!