Close

Thread: Talk Talk vs BT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Talk Talk vs BT

Hi,

I'm considering swapping ISP from Sky who I have had for 3 years and not had one problem, to Talk Talk or BT. When I joined Sky, I had to pay £18 a month for 5mb d/l speed and got free evening and weekend calls. With line rental and light monthly phone use I am getting £45 bills. Looking at what Sky offer new customers now compared to what I pay, I feel i'm getting a very poor deal

I keep getting leaflets/mail from other suppliers both offering the same internet connection speed, line rental but unlimited phone calls 24 hours for £25-£27, and with 3 months free. That is a hell of a saving to what i'm paying now. I can only imagine the isp will be as stable as it uses the same lines etc.

Can anyone tell me if any isp is better than the other, or anything I should be aware of? I think I can get an uninterrupted change over with BT and I see that my local exchange is getting the new Infinity service from the end of March 2011. as soon as this goes live, do all services providers provide the higher bandwidths straight away or do BT hold the aces for a time?

My mrs wouldn't like to lose her sky.com email address though. Can this be kept once sky is cancelled?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ring Sky up first to tell them you want to leave and see what they offer you. You'll get something for free for sure

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Talk Talk vs BT

The speed offered and the speed delivered can be vastly different. BT and Talk Talk have pretty dire reputations in both speed AND customer service. Go to Sam Knows, see what you can get then ask for opinions on those.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

do not go to talktalk, i have had one hell of a time and its left me almost £250 out of pocket. Im currently fighting this with the CEO after almost 3 months of calls and headaches. Stay with Sky.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with BT never had a spot of bother been with them since 512 days went through upgrades to 1mb then 2 mb then upto 8Mb all went smoothly download at 600k, but you can get someone who has a terrible time blasts all over forums about how si*t xyz are, they say the british arent good at complaining i disagree they whinge like hell. My daughters boyfriend went with talk talk due to cost and has had problems with them all the time.
    all my advice is respectfully given and no offence is ever intended

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny you say that, my parents just moved from bt to talk talk because of their offer and prices. They keep dropping pc wireless connection and then have to be wired to the router to connect again. Think it's a faulty router.

Sometimes it's better the devil you know! May move to bt for line rental, phone and broadband for 12 months and then see what sky do once our exchange goes 20mb+. They said 3 years ago that they buy exchanges from bt where there's no fee for bb if you have a tv package. You never know especially if the exchange is updated. There's much better tv offers for new customers through sky aswell, so may join them under my partners name if I miss the tv side of things

Can you still use the sky+ box to view freesat channels and record with it without a sub? Doubt it! Also can you keep an email address?