Close

Thread: what do i need?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default what do i need?

Hey all,

I've just got hold of a "Network Media Tank" called Suno HD, it has a easily removable 1tb drive in it and I'm starting to download stuff for it now.

The Suno is in a different part of the house and is connected to my pc via homeplugs, which allows the Suno to see whats on the pc and stream standard def stuff but it struggles with HD stuff. The pc cannot see what is on the Suno hdd. What do I need to be able to transfer the files on my pc (some are 8-10gb) on to the hdd of the Suno? Can it be something simple like a long cat5 cable? Is it a piece of software like some ftp thing? or is it a matter of buying a usb to sata cable? or something else?

Oh, and has anyone else got one of these particular machines?

Cheers
    Russbeer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: what do i need?

anyone?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Does the player have ftp connectivity? check in the manual or in the settings on the player and if it does there will be a user name and password?

If not the only way is going to be to remove the hard drive and connect it to the pc to add stuff.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get some real network cable and do it that way. My PCH struggled playing 1080p over homeplugs so that is what I did and never looked back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It does have an FTP server so you can transfer files via FTP, you can also transfer files via USB on one of the ports from what I read.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a big old network cable from before I had the homeplugs so will try it. Just have, and it just streams the HD stuff better. I'm after a way to transfer things from the pc to the hard drive without having a load of cables everywhere. One of those hdd docks looks like the ticket as I'm more interested at cleaning up the old files that have been left on the hdd first by its previous owner, then filling it with my own stuff.
    Last edited by russbeer; 27th September 2010 at 08:16 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You should be able to see it in windows explorer on your main PC if its on the network.

With my old PCH that how I managed the files there...It'll probably have some sort of default user name and password to allow you to see the internal HD.

Then you can delete/ drag & drop as you would on any PC on your network.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got meself one of those hard drive docks for £20 from a local pc shop, looks like the easiest and quickest solution.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sigh.... here we go.... I bought a SATA Hdd dock earlier today and plugged it in through the usb, switched it on and it shows as "removable disc G:" and if i click it, it says insert disc, then I put the hdd into the thing and the G: drive disappears. I can hear the drive spinning but I still can't view the fucker. Its a WD Caviar 1TB drive. The dock supports them upto 1.5tb and it has shown up as installed and ready to use on XP.

Whats going on?

Thanks
    Karma Level

have you tried putting the disc in and then plugging it in and turning it on?

Thanks
    Karma Level

forget that...

go to start, right click on computer, select manage, go to disc management. The disc should show there, then right click on the volume and select import foreign disc.

that should do the job, I had this problem a while ago with my hard drive in my media player, just remembered about it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

since the earlier post I have formatted the drive, only to find out that it is formatted using EXT2 or EXT3 which is a linux file system that doesn't show on the pc without a viewer, but i found out too late. I am now having a real nightmare getting it to reformat the drive inside the Suno player. I need a syb8634.nmt file apparently and I'm really struggling to get it to work. I'm having a night of pure frustration here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by theodotcom View Post
    forget that...

go to start, right click on computer, select manage, go to disc management. The disc should show there, then right click on the volume and select import foreign disc.

that should do the job, I had this problem a while ago with my hard drive in my media player, just remembered about it.
    thanks theo, too late though as my inexperience and impatience having fucked me up once more.

Social Networking Bookmarks