Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help insurance problem !!!

i bought my car a few weeks ago on sat (cant remember excact date) i then went online to get cover from my usuall insurance firm , i accepted the policy and put my card details through and a page came up saying PAYMENT ACCEPTED , a week later i got stopped and was told there was no insurance on my car , sure enough i went home and checked my details and it was still showing my previous vehicle details and my new car wasnt covered,i emailed my insurance company over 1 week ago but still have no reply, is there anyway that i can prove that this screen saying PAYMENT ACCEPTED was shown on the screen , and no, there was no money taken from my account so i cant prove it thar way thanks for your time and i would really appreciate any help as i am looking at a disqual

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: insurance problem !!!

Contact your insurance company and find out what happened. If I ever buy anything online I use a PDF creator and make a PDF of the order confirmation screen with all reference numbers etc on just in case anything goes wrong. You need to be more vigilant when it comes to buying anything online especially stuff like insurance I did my road tax a few days ago and yep I have a PDF of the screen and I keep an eye on my bank account for the next few days to make sure the payment goes out and also so that nothing else goes out.

I got stopped twice when I bought my last car within a few weeks of buying it first was no insurance (I had the certificate in the glove box and they still phoned the insurance company to check) the 2nd was no tax and they were happy when they saw the disc in the window. Due to the car having been SORN before my purchase their computers were out of date.

Personally if someone who jumps red lights is driving without insurance is looking at a ban then it makes the roads safer for the rest of us.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post

Personally if someone who jumps red lights is driving without insurance is looking at a ban then it makes the roads safer for the rest of us.
    well said m8.

personally, i never trust online insurance systems- i have arranged and taken up online motor insurance but then i call the company and confirm all details (whilst making a note of date, exact time, name of phone operator and location of phone operator) then print all screenshots and emails of transaction.

if the insurance is not in place and there is no record of you confirming details with the insurance company prior to you causing a crash - they are not likely to go out of their way to help you and have to pay out

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hindsight m8 i always copy n paste details into word

jag

I'm not racist i hate everybody

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you've got fully comp insurance on the other car wouldn't that cover you TPF&T on the car you were driving?

Or is it just trade plates that covers you for cars that don't have insurance tied to them?

Have to admit I always keep an eye on http://www.askmid.com whenever I swap cars to make sure the records are updated there even after I've got insurance confirmation.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    If you've got fully comp insurance on the other car wouldn't that cover you TPF&T on the car you were driving?.
    No, this only covers you if your driving someone else's vehicle.

9obamartins - you might find that your insurance company might sort you out but add a clause excluding any accidents between now and the period you bought the car. However on the other hand you might be fecked. Since you can't provide any evidence to prove that you amended the policy, the insurance company might take the view that your trying to pull a fast one but since your an existing customer they might see that you don't really have anything to gain by doing this.

Give your isurance company a call and speak to a manager there, explain the situation and see what they can do.
    Do you have a copy of your internet history that you could provide to suggest you made the changes?
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
    Do you have a copy of your internet history that you could provide to suggest you made the changes?
    It might be worth going through your browser history in off-line mode - coz you might still be able to see the cached version of the transaction
    'Punctuality, regularity, discipline, industry, thoroughness, are a set of 'slave' virtues.' G. D. H. Cole

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you not get a confirmation email either?
    TBH anyone could arrange insurance online get a screen grab or similar then just cancel it. Watching a few traffic cop progs on tv it seems its a common practice among non insured drivers to get insurance wait for the certificate of insurance then cancel the policy. Getting your insurance online and having absolutely no evidence of doing so seems a bit silly to me. Your only chance here is that your insurance company has some form of evidence and will back you up.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin View Post
    TBH anyone could arrange insurance online get a screen grab or similar then just cancel it. Watching a few traffic cop progs on tv it seems its a common practice among non insured drivers to get insurance wait for the certificate of insurance then cancel the policy. Getting your insurance online and having absolutely no evidence of doing so seems a bit silly to me. Your only chance here is that your insurance company has some form of evidence and will back you up.
    Yep, That's why the MID database was set up and they hold everything on one database.
    Insurance companies MUST provide the MID with details of insured vehicles within 7 days or they face a wrapped knuckle.

Basically 9obamartins was one of the many of UK drivers who is uninsured, however proving his innocence is not going to be easy and I'd recomend a good chat with his insurance company, if they can't sort it then he is fecked.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Contact your insurance company and find out what happened. If I ever buy anything online I use a PDF creator and make a PDF of the order confirmation screen with all reference numbers etc on just in case anything goes wrong. You need to be more vigilant when it comes to buying anything online especially stuff like insurance I did my road tax a few days ago and yep I have a PDF of the screen and I keep an eye on my bank account for the next few days to make sure the payment goes out and also so that nothing else goes out.

I got stopped twice when I bought my last car within a few weeks of buying it first was no insurance (I had the certificate in the glove box and they still phoned the insurance company to check) the 2nd was no tax and they were happy when they saw the disc in the window. Due to the car having been SORN before my purchase their computers were out of date.

thanks for the reply - i just wish i had of known this before i got insured (WELL THOUGHT I HAD GOT INSURED)thanks again

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    well said m8.

personally, i never trust online insurance systems- i have arranged and taken up online motor insurance but then i call the company and confirm all details (whilst making a note of date, exact time, name of phone operator and location of phone operator) then print all screenshots and emails of transaction.

if the insurance is not in place and there is no record of you confirming details with the insurance company prior to you causing a crash - they are not likely to go out of their way to help you and have to pay out
    sorry i didnt jump a red light - it was on amber, i got paid off the taxi driver involver in the crash as he didnt want it to go through his insurance and that was after i got stopped and told i had no insurance on my car,thanks for the reply though and i hope this has cleared up any points that have been mistaken

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    If you've got fully comp insurance on the other car wouldn't that cover you TPF&T on the car you were driving?

Or is it just trade plates that covers you for cars that don't have insurance tied to them?

Have to admit I always keep an eye on http://www.askmid.com whenever I swap cars to make sure the records are updated there even after I've got insurance confirmation.
    i only had TPF&T on my other car but it was to drive any other car that didnt belong to me and all the rest of the stuff it usually says on the certificate,but the policy states that the car must be insured by its owner for me to do so,i think if the car came back as being uninsured then the previous owner must of cancelled or transferred the policy immediately (unlike myself as keep my policy going until i get my next car as its easier to transfer then have the cost of cancellation etc) i know its wrong but thats just what ive always done

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pattikins View Post
    It might be worth going through your browser history in off-line mode - coz you might still be able to see the cached version of the transaction
    thanks NICE ONE - i will try this tomorrow as it was my uncles pc i used

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
    No, this only covers you if your driving someone else's vehicle.

9obamartins - you might find that your insurance company might sort you out but add a clause excluding any accidents between now and the period you bought the car. However on the other hand you might be fecked. Since you can't provide any evidence to prove that you amended the policy, the insurance company might take the view that your trying to pull a fast one but since your an existing customer they might see that you don't really have anything to gain by doing this.

Give your isurance company a call and speak to a manager there, explain the situation and see what they can do.
    no i have no copy of the history - i used my uncles pc to do the transaction and i will go to his tommorrow to see if its still there,i just hope he hasnt deleted his browsing history but he likes to keep his pc running good so ive got a feeling it will be wiped - thanks for your reply,i will try ringing them tomorrow

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 9obamartins View Post
    sorry i didnt jump a red light - it was on amber
    Sorry, that's no better, to quote an old TV ad, "don't be an amber gambler"
    That apart I do pretty much what LJ suggested, as soon as I get any kind of confirmation email of purchases I back them up and print any important screens, something like Car Insurance can't be left to chance. Proving you are not just one of the many people using DD payment for Insurance to get a cover note for the cost of a deposit is going to be very difficult.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin View Post
    i know it sounds abit dodgie and im just trying to get out of it (which i am but theres nothing dodgie) i have 4 years no claims bonus and 2 of the years are with the company i am with now,i know the police have NPRS fitted in there cars so i know you cant get away with having no insurance so it would just be stupid to even try it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Sorry, that's no better, to quote an old TV ad, "don't be an amber gambler"
    That apart I do pretty much what LJ suggested, as soon as I get any kind of confirmation email of purchases I back them up and print any important screens, something like Car Insurance can't be left to chance. Proving you are not just one of the many people using DD payment for Insurance to get a cover note for the cost of a deposit is going to be very difficult.
    ive been with the same company for over 2 years now and i have 4 years no claims bonus all together

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.drivingban.co.uk/drivingb...tinsurance.htm

Page of advice. Important to note it says driving without insurance can be fixed penalty £200 and 6 points straight from the copper for a first offence, or if it makes it to court then 6-8 points. Doesn't sound like a ban is even remotely likely for a first offence to me. It says typical bans are 28 days too, so it's not like you are going to lose your job over it or have to spend the next year at the bus stop. If anything you could try to time that to match up with a fortnight of holiday and end up barely being inconvenienced at all if you have the resources for it. Certainly worth proving your innocence but, in the helpful words of Michael Winner, "Calm down dear." I believe he also sells car insurance which may be even more helpful.

Looks like you are fooked if it's a repeat offence though. It also says driving without insurance is an absolute offence and you can't claim your insurance company misled you or that you misunderstood your policy, so you might struggle there unless you can prove they did definitely say you were insured when you weren't.

Regarding the amber gambler situation, I think that depends entirely on what part of the country you are driving in. If it's in the countryside or a small town with free-flowing traffic then you should definitely stop because it's hardly any trouble. In London I'd go as far as to say it's the "done thing" and therefore acceptableish, and I'd even say it looks like the lights are timed differently to allow for it compared to the ones here. The highway code does say to stop at amber and there is no debate around the subject there so you really don't have a leg to stand on wherever you are. They made a big fuss over rewording it to stop for both red and amber to stop this exact situation.

I know somebody who had a glass of wine with a meal, genuinely didn't know she had a light out on her car, and then went through a red light. Luckily she met the world's most corrupt policeman who said he was "busy" for an hour at the station to let her get the wine out of her system before retesting her then turned a blind eye to the traffic light jumping and broken light, but it just goes to show how something that saves 60 seconds off your journey could totally ruin your life by drawing attention to you if you depend on the car for work.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive been with the same company for over 2 years now and i have 4 years no claims bonus all together
    What's that supposed to prove? I've been driving since 1970' spent the 80's teaching driving from beginner to advanced with some defensive thrown in and have more years of no claims than I can remember and I do not drive through an amber light, if you can't anticipate the light turning you are driving carelessly and will probably be punished accordingly. I assume that since you are concerned about being disqualified you must already have points on your licence, what for?
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry i didnt jump a red light - it was on amber, i got paid off the taxi driver involver in the crash as he didnt want it to go through his insurance and that was after i got stopped and told i had no insurance on my car,thanks for the reply though and i hope this has cleared up any points that have been mistaken
    amber means stop if safe to do so, the law would argue that if you wernt able to stop then you were not paying due care and attention and if you could of stopped but chose not to then its as good as running a full red.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast